Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Breaking the Ice

What rating would you give "Breaking the Ice"?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Breaking the Ice"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 008

Season: 1 Episode: 7

DVD Disc: 2

Air Date: 11.07.2001

Mission Date: Unknown

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Scott Bakula as Jonathan Archer

John Billingsley as Dr. Phlox

Jolene Blalock as T'Pol

Dominic Keating as Malcolm Reed

Anthony Montgomery as Travis Mayweather

Linda Park as Hoshi Sato

Connor Trinneer as Charles "Trip" Tucker III

Guest Cast:

William Utay as Vanik

Creative Staff:

Director: Terry Windell

Written By: Maria Jacquemetton & Andre Jacquemetton

Related Items:

eisilium

Maymora-class vessel

Pok Tar

polycocyx astris

Suurok-class ship

Ti'Mur

Worley Elementary School

Yarahla

Zariphean blend

eisilium

The Enterprise encounters a comet that has never been discovered before. Being dubbed "Archer's comet" the crew decides to take a landing party on to the surface to collect samples. The ones chosen for this mission are Travis and Malcolm.

Travis has never seen snow, so while they are down there, they make a snow man. They discover that Vulcans on another ship are watching their progress on the asteroid. Archer asks the captain of the Vulcan ship to come over to the Enterprise for a chat, only to discover when talking to the Vulcan his dislike of humans.

Down on the asteroid, things don't go quite as planned as they request the help of the Vulcans.

I have to be honest, but I don't really care for this episode. Nothing interesting about them discovering a comet. Although a neat idea, definitely not something to waste an episode on. This is one of the weakest episodes out of the first season.

** out of *****

I actually gave this one a 4. While I find it unlikely that Vulcans would not be interested in learning more about a particular mineral that their scientists have little data on, that did not deter my enjoyment of the episode. Two storylines which weave their way between each other. Liked the snowVulcan. Thought that was cute, and Archer's disapproval of it was funny as well. Blalock too emotional, but then again, even Spock admitted that the Vulcan mating ritual was not at all logical. So that's forgivable.

Sign in to follow this