Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

By Any Other Name

What rating would you give "By Any Other Name"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "By Any Other Name"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

The crew of the Enterprise answers a distress call coming from a strange planet only to discover that hostile “humans” sent the distress call to steal the Enterprise so they can get back to their home planet in the Andromeda galaxy.

What makes this episode interesting is that Rojan and his crew have such interesting weapons. They have a neural field that paralyzes creatures by attacking the nervous system, they have the ability to teleport anywhere without a transporter, and they have a weapon that transforms life forms into small, dry cubes.

These hostiles so learn that taking on human form has its disadvantages when they begin to act as humans.

“By Any Other Name” has some of the best acting out of Shatner, he does a fantastic job of a devastated Kirk who is very upset that almost his entire crew has been “cube”, his anger and frustration come out in this brilliant performance. But he also persuades the female to follow her newly found human emotions, if you know what I mean *wink wink*

“By Any Other Name” is also the episode where one of the alien “humans” asks what he and Scotty are drinking when they are having a drinking contest, not knowing what it is Scotty looks for a label and then smells the bottle and says “It’s green”. This scene is later referenced in the TNG episode “Relics” when Scotty wants real alcohol and Data goes behind the bar table and pulls out a bottle. Scotty asks Data “what is it?” Data searches for a label, smells the bottle and says “It’s Green”.

This is once again a really good episode, very few episodes of Trek aren’t

***** out of *****

Its a great episode with some really good acting in it. I remember being stunned when I first watched it where the 2 redshirts were reduced to cubes. I know everyone was expecting the guy to be killed. It was really surprising to me that they killed the female redshirt. It still elicits some real emotion from me when I watch it.

This episode really took a turn upward when they discussed that they had to stimulate the senses, and Scotty said, "Well I know one way!" and went to get the bottle. And yeah, I shouted "Aldebaran Whiskey!" when Scotty said "It's green." Interesting how they all managed to stimulate in all different ways, even Spock. Solid overall. Gave it a 5.

Sign in to follow this