Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Arena

What rating would you give "Arena"?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Arena"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 019

Season: 1 Episode: 18

DVD Disc: 5

Air Date: 01.19.1967

Stardate: 3045.6

Review not available

Guest Cast:

Carole Shelyne as Metron

Vic Perrin as Metron's voice

Gary Coombs as Gorn Captain

Bobby Clark as Gorn Captain

Vic Perrin as Gorn's voice

Grant Woods as Lt. Commander Kelowitz

Sean Kenney as Lt. DePaul

Eddie Paskey as Lt. Leslie

Creative Staff:

Director: Joseph Pevney

Teleplay By: Gene L. Coon

Story By: Fredric Brown

Related Links:

Archanis

shields

warp factor

Gorn

Metron

Cestus III

Ok episode. I gave it a 3. A bit of disappointment that the Gorn understood Kirk, but whatever. Predictable. Futurama ripped this episode off, too, with the same episode that they combined with elements from Squire Of Gothos.

That episode of Futurama isn't one of my favorite eps of that series either.

Not a bad episode but not one of the great ones either. That Gorn costume was REALLY bad even by 1960s standards. It looked like it came right out of the Lost In Space wardrobe department. I didn't mind the Gorn captain understanding Kirk because I believe it was explained that the Metrons arranged it. Kirk remembering how to make gunpowder didn't make much sense either. Who in the 23rd century would know the ingredients for gunpowder??? Plus, you have to mix the ingredients a certain way. Throwing a few handfuls of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulpher into that tube would more likely have made it blow up in Kirk's face rather than actually propell the diamonds.

I've always ranked this as one of the worst eps of TOS. A combination of things, like the Gorn costume, not to mention the facts Kor added, make me feel like it was subpar even for 60's Science Fiction. Overall, though, it was an average ep...2 or 3.

Does anyone watch Family Guy??!!! Neil Goldman refers to the cup showing in the episode and Arena didn't suck! Godzilla had cheesy effects (especially when Godzilla breathed out steam er... I mean fire) but it was a good movie.Arena isn't the best episode (that honor I bestow on The City On the Edge of Forever) but it was a good episode

Does anyone watch Family Guy??!!! Neil Goldman refers to the cup showing in the episode and Arena didn't suck! Godzilla had cheesy effects (especially when Godzilla breathed out steam er... I mean fire) but it was a good movie.Arena isn't the best episode (that honor I bestow on The City On the Edge of Forever) but it was a good episode

Quoted for truth.

Wonder how kirk managed to make that launcher maybe he watched episodes of blue Peter and had one he prepared earlier :)

Sometimes, you just have to look at an episode, not for its 'technical accuracy' or whatever,and just ENJOY the thing. I liked Aren a lot, and I still do. I liked the Gorn suit, and for those who find it corny, or the science bad, okay, so is your right, however merited, etc. They are, and were, an interesting species I would love to have seen more of, as we did in Enterprise. I still like the old version better. And there were some noble concepts, with kirk being the better being, and sparing his enemy..of course, as a Federation officer, he had to portray us flawed, but determined people as being able to get past the pain and anger of a brutal attack, if presumed justified by the Gorn, to reach what I believe became a peaceful, and I hope more than just cordial, relationship with them, as Gene I know would have imagined. Even to a joint colony, asthe writer of the non-canon recent ''Star Trek:Star Charts'' book indicates. Arena will always be a fave-to me.

Sign in to follow this