Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Squire of Gothos

What rating would you give "The Squire of Gothos"?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Squire of Gothos"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

So yeah, a spoiled brat makes sport of obsalesced information, blah blah blah etc. etc. Good acting from the Trelane character. This episode is like the movie Fight Club....enjoying it immensely until the ending of it, which ruins it for me. And oh yeah, Futurama ripped off this episode.

This episode is one of the classics mainly because of William Campbell's great acting. Trelane is a great character and I thought the ending was really clever. It was like something you would see in the Twilight Show. I had the pleasure of meeting William Campbell many years ago and I have never met a nicer and more humble actor.

I agree with Kor that this is a classic TOS episode, and that William Campbell's acting really makes the episode. He later portrayed the Klingon Captain in The Trouble With Tribbles. I met Mr. Campbell a few years ago and recently again in Vegas. He was delightful and told some good annecdotes when he spoke in a panel discussion at the 40th anniversary convention in Vegas this summer. There has been some discussion that he might actually have been a young "Q" which I believe may have been addressed in a Trek novel.

Edited by trekz

The Enterprise is flying thorugh space. Nig planet floes at them. Must beam down. Oh a castle. Oh a madman. Let's break his mirror. Argh, you broke my mirror. Im annoyed. Slap. Oh you. Mumsie voice, come on in you little brat. Ah he was just a boy. Hee hee, Spock raises an eyebrow, the end.

I disagree. Yes you might view it differently if you know the ending but it isn't like Fight Club that you can only see it once. I thought the Trelane character had just as much potential as the Q character and it is a shame they only used him once. Campbell's over-the-top acting style was fun to watch and knowing he is playing a kid doesn't ruin it.

Actually I don't even think Fight Club was ruined as it is still fun to go back and catch all the little nuances as the main character gradually becomes Tyler Durden. Knowing how it ends does change the experience but different is not worse.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

The Enterprise is flying thorugh space. Nig planet floes at them. Must beam down. Oh a castle. Oh a madman. Let's break his mirror. Argh, you broke my mirror. Im annoyed. Slap. Oh you. Mumsie voice, come on in you little brat. Ah he was just a boy. Hee hee, Spock raises an eyebrow, the end.

A fair summary. :lol:

This is the novel I was trying to remember the name of - regarding Trelane and Q.

SUMMARY

Q-Squared (full title Star Trek: The Next Generation – Q-Squared) is a Star Trek novel by acclaimed author Peter David.

Q-Squared was released in July 1994 as one in a series of "Giant Novels" for the Star Trek line from Pocket Books. Although the novel was primarily based on and around the characters of Star Trek: The Next Generation, this book was particularly notable for bringing together the characters of Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Trelane from Star Trek: The Original Series.

Description

Trelane, who is established as a renegade member of the Q Continuum, taps into the power of the continuum and uses this ability to tamper with time and reality, resulting in the intersection of three different parallel universes. Q, who had been charged with the task of "mentoring" Trelane (a task each "adult" Q must accept at least once for an "adolescent" Q), enlists the aid of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-D in the three different timelines in order to stop Trelane. The alternate universes used throughout the story allow the return of many characters considered dead at that point in the continuity, including Tasha Yar and Beverly Crusher's long-dead husband Jack Crusher. In some of these timelines, several of the main characters from the show have died, including Beverly Crusher and Wesley Crusher. Notable is the clash between the "Yesterday's Enterprise" crew, who distrust Klingons, with the regular Worf and the Tasha who admired him.

Continuity Error: different teleportation sound effect, the sound is different between TOS (my personal favorite) and TNG because Trelane was a renegade Q (according to Q Squared), and Trelane didn't make the funny hand gesture before teleporting P.S. he should have done a Great Balls of Fire duet like in Top Gun with Rand or Uhura

Edited by Dimitry Badinov

Sign in to follow this