Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Where No Man Has Gone Before

What rating would you give "Where No Man Has Gone Before"?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Where No Man Has Gone Before"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Season: 1

Production No: 002

Episode Name: Where No Man Has Gone Before

Director: James Goldstone

Written By: Samuel A. Peeples

Original Air Date: 09.22.66

PDVD_410.JPG

The Enterprise encounters a force field at the outer edge of the galaxy. While attempting to cross the barrier, the Enterprise's warp engines are severely damaged and two members of the crew are knocked unconscious: Lieutenant Commander Gary Mitchell (an old friend of Kirk's) and psychiatrist Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, both of whom have shown high levels extrasensory perception (ESP) in their medical files. Mitchell's dormant ESP abilities are accelerated to the point that he seems to be something beyond human. Dehner takes Mitchell's side and protests Kirk's decision to maroon him on Delta Vega, an uninhabited planet. The Enterprise sets course for Delta Vega and its automated lithium-cracking station that can aid in repairing the ship's damaged engines. A sedated Mitchell is transported down to the planet but escapes from confinement, taking Dehner (who has begun to mutate as well) with him. Kirk follows with a phaser rifle, and Mitchell attempts to kill him but Dehner, who finally realises that Mitchell has become something inhuman, helps Kirk overpower the madman and is killed in the attempt.

PDVD_418.JPG

PDVD_429.JPGPDVD_430.JPG

PDVD_507.JPGPDVD_526.JPG

PDVD_536.JPGPDVD_538.JPG

Cast:

William Shatner as James T. Kirk

Leonard Nimoy as Spock

James Doohan as Montgomery Scott

George Takei as Hikaru Sulu

Guest Cast:

Sally Kellerman as Dr. Elizabeth Dehner

Gary Lockwood as Lt. Comm. Gary Mitchell

Paul Fix as Dr. Mark Piper

Paul Carr as Lieut. Lee Kelso

Andrea Dromm as Yeoman Smith

Related Items:

antimatter converter assembly

ear receiver

lithium crystals

recorder marker

viewer

Valiant, S.S.

Show Notes: Where No Man Has Gone Before was originally filmed as the second pilot. The "silver eye" effect in Mitchell and Dehner was produced by opaque contact lenses. Also noticable in this episode is the fact that Spock's eyebrows have a sharper upward angle which was toned down for the series.

Star Notes: Gary Lockwood would go on to play Dr. Frank Poole in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey". Sally Kellerman played Hotlips Hoolihan in the movie version of M*A*S*H.

Incredible episode. Loved it. Excellent performances from everyone. The fight scene was great too.

If I'm not mistaken, this should be the same Gary Lockwood who played Elvis's buddy in a couple of Elvis movies, such as It Happened At The World's Fair. I might be mistaken about that, though.

This is a great episode. It was indeed the 2nd pilot and the first Trek to feature Kirk. "The Corbomite Maneuver" was also filmed before "The Man Trap" as Spock still had that different look to him. One of the things in this episode that always gets pointed out is Kirk's gravestone which reads James R. Kirk. Obviously, Kirk hadn't yet been given a middle name when this episode was filmed.

For TOS this wasn't one of my "favorites" but it's a very good episode. I wish they had used this as episode #1 but oh well. I still give it the highest rating, great episode.

I watched this for the first time at Christmas, on the Series 1 TOS I collected from the magazine :) (before they stopped it half way through meaning I only have half the Season :) ).

It is one of my favourite Star Trek Episodes ever!!!! * * * * *

Awesome Show,I loved that show!

I give this 5*****.

Too bad,iI haven't video tape this

show because i think i didn't record

the Star trek Original show..:}

Edited by Raja62

This is one of my fave TOS Episodes and love some os the spin off novels about the powers they they got from the galatic barrier

FIVE no doubt about it!

The 2nd pilot scores a big hit!

Where_No_Man_Has_Gone_Before_2.jpg

Gary Lockwood (from 2001: a space odyssey) guest starring as Gary Mitchell was wonderful!

This ep has for me some great sf-trek concepts...including the potential power of the mind. I would not go so far as to attribut 'God-like' powers to Gary Mitchell, as it is influenced by I guess in part my upbringing...but I still love the notion of much of what he could do-but not how he did it! Of course, this is another story, as quoting Jim Kirk here, ''absolute power corrupting absolutely''. It shows that we huamns-still fatally flawed-and will be- succumbing to the temptations of this kind of gift. Even with the best of intentions, as witnessed by a similar occurence in TNG with Riker,things can go awry....as for the Galactic Barrier, it does eem unrealistic, that a Starfleet vessel could get that far out, I admit, in any reasonable amount of time. UFP space is a great distance from the Rim....but, I liken it to the suggestion of how NX-01 got from Earth to Qo'nos in a rather short trip in ''Broken Bow'', as someone sugegested in ''Star Trek :Star Charts'' that there existed 'subspace short cuts' enabling an abbreviated journey. As for the Valiant, who knows, whether they found such a phenomenon, or not;perhaps thet di-and should have, unless they all went into cryogenic sleep for the duration. At any rate, this is the pilot that finally sold ST as a viable commodity for NBC. For that, and to Gene, and Samuel L. Peeples(Who went on to pen ''Beyond the Farthest Star'' for STTAS) we should say ''THANK YOU''. And I myself have some ideas of my own about that powerful, mysterious ring around the galaxy ol 1701 ran into...

Sign in to follow this