Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

How Long Have You Been A Trek Fan?

How Long Have You Been A Fan of Star Trek?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Have You Been A Fan of Star Trek?

• Less Than A Year
    • 1-5 Years
    • 6-10 Years
    • 11-15 Years
    • 16-20 Years
    • 21-25 Years
    • 26-30 Years
    • More Than 30 Years

I was wondering how long every one has been a fan and what got them to be the Trek fans they are today? Here's my story.

I've only been a Star Trek fan for 3 years (last month was my anniversary) :laugh:

My Story

Around April of 2002, after my college classs for the day, I went to Wal-Mart to relax and see what VHS and DVDs they had (I'm a movie lover). Little did I know when I walked in those sliding doors that my life would change forever when I walked out. Any way, I noticed in the entertainment section they had a box full of different movies that had a sign above it that said "All Movies $3.99." Couldn't beat that, cheap movies! Like I said, I love movies, so I naturally went to see what they had, it's a great buy!

As I was looking through the box, I noticed lying on it's side was "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". Huh, Star Trek I thought. For some reason, I didn't put it back and I held on to it as I searched the box to see if I could find any more Star Trek movies, and I did. I also found "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". Then I looked at both of them. I thought, "I wonder what's so big about Star Trek? I guess I can finally find out!" I have never seen anything that was Star Trek before that day. I figured both movies were like $4 each, so it's cheap enough that it won't be a complete waste of money if I go home and pop them into my VCR and hate them. So I cautiously bought them. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

I went home, sat down and put "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" into the machine. And my life has changed. I was captivated by Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the crew. The fight Kirk had with Decker over command of the Enterprise. When the movie finished I thought to my self "Why have I avoid this all of my life?" My fandom had begin to birth and grow as I put in "The Wrath of Khan". Which was even more impressive. When both were finished, I wanted more! more! more! Knowing nothing about Star Trek except for what I watched on the two movies, I remember going to www.startrek.com and talking to veteran Trek fans on the once chat room they use to have there.

A few days later, I would watch my first episode of Star Trek thanks to Spike TV, who had just started to play TNG not that long before. My first episode of Trek I watched was the TNG episode "Tapestry". What a fantastic episode to start my devotion! It's still my favorite Trek episode out of all of the series! That was it, my fandom and journey to being a nerd had begun! B) Through the years, I've spent hours talking to fellow Trek fans (you guys) about a love we both share for a master piece. I've collected Trek toys and everything else, I have Archer and Data sitting on my desk right now! Needless to say I have all of the movies that I have seen each multiple times. I also have about 15 VHS tapes of Trek I have taped off of TV that I watch A LOT. My fandom grows with each new day, and it will never die!

Edited by Gamera

I became a Star Trek fan since the first episode of TOS. I was always a sci-fi fan and was flipping channels (manually, mind you. Remote controls were still kinda new..lol) and came upon this new show called Star Trek on NBC. The episode was "The Man Trap" and I've watched every episode of every series and every movie first run since then.

I've been a fan ever since the premier of the Original Series in 1966. I've always loved science fiction, and I was looking forward to seeing this new series. Several things about it got me hooked. The respect for diversity, and their peaceful mission of exploration - and non-interference - were important, but the main thing was watching "the big 3", all strong and unique individuals who could put aside their differences and work as a team. Also, many of the stories, although set in the future on other planets, were directly related to events on present day Earth. There was usually something to think about, or something to learn, at the end of each show. Very unusual for TV of any decade! :laugh:

I became a Star Trek fan since the first episode of TOS. I was always a sci-fi fan and was flipping channels (manually, mind you. Remote controls were still kinda new..lol) and came upon this new show called Star Trek on NBC. The episode was "The Man Trap" and I've watched every episode of every series and every movie first run since then.

323746[/snapback]

I actually remember in the mid 1980's that we had a black and white TV that we would watch in the dinning room. It had a knob on the TV that you had to turn to get to the channel you wanted. See, I remember those! :laugh: It even had rabbit ears! B)

I've been a fan ever since the premier of the Original Series in 1966. I've always loved science fiction, and I was looking forward to seeing this new series. Several things about it got me hooked. The respect for diversity, and their peaceful mission of exploration - and non-interference - were important, but the main thing was watching "the big 3", all strong and unique individuals who could put aside their differences and work as a team. Also, many of the stories, although set in the future on other planets, were directly related to events on present day Earth. There was usually something to think about, or something to learn, at the end of each show. Very unusual for TV of any decade!  B)

323750[/snapback]

very true, you love Trek for the same reasons I do. B)

Edited by Gamera

I've been a Star Trek fan for about... 2 years. I became a fan a few months after Nemesis came out (for sale), in October 2003. I just started liking it, watching TNG, renting the movies.

I have been a fan since 1966 the first show.

A 9 year old boy. Space travel,aliens,space ships & more.

What more could you ask for been hooked since.

Ps. my mother liked it to she liked spock.

called kirk space stud. :laugh:

^my mom has a thing for Spock too :laugh:

Both of my parents have been Trek fans since the original series, but I never was interested in it until I watched for my self 3 years ago. So I'm late catching up with the rest of my family. But they are just casual fans, they aren't as hardcore of a fan as I am.

Guest Ktrek

I became a fan from the very first episode in 1966 when I was 10 years old. I have followed all the series and currently own every episode that has been released thus far on DVD. I'm looking forward to when ENT is complete this year and they release Star Trek - The Animated Series. Finally my collection will be complete and I can use my entertainment money on something else! Yippee!!

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Well Let's See, I'm Turning 25 This July And I Got Into Star Trek Not Long Before TNG Aired...And I Just Released That I Voted Wrong..I Think..lol...Anyway..

So Yeah..Been Watching Star Trek From Re-Runs Of TOS Before TNG All The Way To Enterprise.

And On A Side-Note..I Got Into Star Wars At Roughly The Same Time, But I Can't Recall Which I Saw First... :laugh:

Introduced to TOS when I was a toddler, adored TNG since I was 7. I am 25 years one week and two days old... so I voted for the 16 to 20 year option!

My mom had watched it,as far as I know she watched TOS when it first aired. She was about 11 years old when it came out.

323746[/snapback]

I actually remember in the mid 1980's that we had a black and white TV that we would watch in the dinning room. It had a knob on the TV that you had to turn to get to the channel you wanted. See, I remember those! B) It even had rabbit ears! B)

I had a couple that were like that into the 90's. One was a B/W tv. Had that one, and then of course got the channel box that made it so I had the other channels like the living room tv. But lost that tv set when :laugh: Crystal, the cat, had jumped up onto the shelf and knocked the tv off of the shelf. The screen was not damaged, surprisingly enough... but internally was damaged B)

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Well I have been a fan since the beginning, viewing the first episode ( I think it WAS Man Trap) back on a balck and white TV. I was in High School (I think that makes me the oldest respondent B) not to mention despondent concerning the whole age thing B) I watched the TOS reruns faithfully in college with a number of other fans.

It was the positive message of a future where most men could get along with each other and humanity had moved forward to explore the galaxy and meet new races and new challenges.

It has always been a source of enjoyment for me to view Star Trek, whether on TV or at the movies, not to mention reading comics, books, scripts and articles. I certainly have my favorites, TNG :laugh: , DS9, TOS B) , TAS, but I have enjoyed all Star Trek. I even got into going to conventions in the 80's and 90's, attending several in the Chicago area and actually going to LA for a BIG convention where Gene Roddenberry appeared in one of his last appearances. I have had the pleasure of seeing a number of TOS, TNG and DS9 actors.

There are always possibilities and I believe Star Trek will endure well into the future. B) May we all live long and prosper!

Edited by trekz

I've been a fan since 2002. I had started to watch TNG and then Nemesis came out and I knew it was a bad movie, but I couldn't keep my eyes off Jean-Luc anymore :laugh:

It all began with TNG, TOS and VOY for me, those three series were on TV when I started to watch Star Trek, and TNG was my fave series back then and it still is. B)

I'm a fan of TNG and TOS only, that's why I wouldn't say I am a "complete" trekkie B)

B) Like Trekz since high school, but Trekz sounds older. Is that the one were they get the salt sucked out of them? I love all the series all the movies and hope it is not to long before a new series or movie :laugh:

I was either eleven or twelve and at my great-grandparents' house (which is where I live now), flipping through the tv looking for something to watch. We weren't really allowed much tv at home, and here there were only four channels, but something was more than nothing! The only thing on was this show I had seen in channel-flipping before, but I was dying to watch anything. I was about ten minutes into the episode by the time I reached it. My sister came in after a few minutes and made some crack about that show with the weird guy named Spock. Nevertheless, she watched for a while, too. One of my brothers joined in (the other was a baby), and we watched The Savage Curtain until the bitter end.

At home the next day, I watched again (I don't remember how I talked my mother into it - or even if she were home to ask!), and I was hooked. Today, the sister is as big a fan as I am, and the baby was indoctrinated early - he's always watched Trek, but really only TOS. The sis and I are die hard TOS and DS9 fans, even though I have now watched all of VOY and am beginning to watch the ENT eps now. And, just for the record, although my dad appreciates most of TOS, my mother still thinks I'm nuts.

Postscript: Oh, yes - I'm in my 30's now, so I voted in the 21+ category...

Edited by LadyNarana

a fan since ive been 5 which would be 20 years, I started watching TAS on Nick when Nickelodeon (SP) started out

i've been a fan off and on since next genertation so about 18 yrs. die hard for the last two since i went to my first convention.

tm :laugh:

Parents were really into Trek, so I guess I've been a fan since birth. I'll be 20 in exactly one month.

I'm not old enough to have watched the originals in first run because I'm only 28, but I first started watching when I was in Jr. High the TOS episodes and absolutely fell in love with the series. I've watched other series since then, but that still remains my favorite.

I've been a trek fan since i was...five, i think. my dad one day wanted to watch TOS (which was the only series he had on tape/DVD). so i watched it, and hated it. i don't think there was anything else that i hated more. but in the middle of the summer, i was with a babysitter, and there was nothing to watch. so i watched TOS. after that (i didn't understand the show that much, but it was still enjoyable), i was a huge fan.

:tear:

I have been a Trek fan for a long time. 30+ years I believe. My brother introduced me to TOS reruns when I was a young teenager back in the early 1970s. I was captivated right away by the threesome of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I was crazy about their relationship and interactions.

I just couldn't get enough Trek and I still can't..

I would say i have been a ST fan for about 18 years,my uncle got me into when i was about 6,he used to put on TOS when he had to baby sit for me and i got hooked :tear:

I voted 6 - 10. It was an error... I should have voted 11 - 15 or 16- 20.... I am not sure I remember when the first time I watched Star Trek but my earliest recollection of it was .... there was a certain Policeman who was Captain of the Starship Enterprise. I was very young then.

i've been a fan for a long time, about 10 1/2-11 yrs ago, when my moms friend gave me the entire first/some second season of ST: TNG. It was so awesome, i went home and watched them all right away! Of course, most are lost somewhere now, but i always loved looking in that box, with all those ST episodes in them...

I and my sister watched Star Trek from its original run in 1966. So I selected 30+ years. We were pre-teens: I was ten, she was eleven.

It was a point of contention between my sister and I as to which of us actually saw the program first, but soon we were watching it together and were Star Trek buddies all the time when she was alive. She even married a Star Trek fan ( not for that reason alone.... but her son does not show any interest in it!).

I did not see the very first episode the first time it aired, but I think the first episode I saw was "Where No Man Has Gone Before," the episode where Gary Lockwood was turned into a 'superior being' when they passed through an energy barrier.

My father used to think my sister and I were silly to endlessly watch TOS episodes where we knew nearly every line of dialogue (then...my memory fails me some now), but my sister and I loved the series from the day ( which ever day that actually was) we first began to watch.

When the TOS aired in Sweden in the early 70's I was looking at "Moonbase Alpha" and I thought Star Trek was for kids and amatuers.

Then many years later the TNG started and I watched now and then. I thought it was good, but it was on TV at 6 pm so I had other things do. . But I watched every time I had a chance. Didn't have a VCR so I couldn't record it. Later on in life I got kids, two boys, and VOY was on at the same time. In Sweden at that time we only had three channels if you didn't lived in a appartment or had a satelitedisk on your roof.

I only had three channels and one TV and no VCR. At the same time on one of the other channels it was a show for kids, so my boys looked at that. But I started to get hooked on Star Trek, I was already "semihooked". So I bought a VCR and after that I didn't miss any episodes. Now I got two TV's, two DVD's and two VCR's. I bought and still buying everything from Star Trek. I have all movies, every season of TOS and VOY, almost every season of TNG and DS9.

I'm a member in a swedish fanclub (West Coast Trekkers) and I dress up as EMH for our clubmeetings.

I just love Star Trek.