1. 1. Which was the best TNG season?

• Season 1
    • Season 2
    • Season 3
    • Season 4
    • Season 5
    • Season 6
    • Season 7

Forgive me if we've done this but which season would you rate as the best?

In reviewing the seasons I have to go with Season 5 for TNG. At quick count there are 8 of my favorite TNG episodes in season 5, Seasons 3 & 6 come close with 6 each of my favorites.

I voted season 7 it has most of my fave episodes but really all the seasons are good except 2.. :laugh:

Season 2 had one of my favorite episodes in it but I can't think of much else from season 2 off the top of my head... the episode I liked was "Elementary Dear Data"

I think I'll go with season 3.. It has a lot of good episodes, The Offspring, Yesterdays Enterprise, Deja Q..

Actually, season 7 has a lot of great eps as well, damn, maybe I made the wrong choice :laugh:

I nulled my vote.

I haven't seen all seven seasons, since I don't have cable and I was an infant when it was on regular TV.

I voted season 7 it has most of my fave episodes but really all the seasons are good except 2.. :laugh:

Season 2 was great, well I liked it. But then I am the only one on here who likes Doctor Pulaski as she seems to bring more out of the other characters, especially Data.

I like Doctor Crusher as well though! :laugh:

Everything after season three is automaticly better imo. The 'spark' just wasen't there in one and two.

Season 2 was great, well I liked it. But then I am the only one on here who likes Doctor Pulaski as she seems to bring more out of the other characters, especially Data.

I like Doctor Crusher as well though! :laugh:

I didnt' really dislike Pulaski, I disliked the "attitude" they wrote her with. To me she was arrogant, and that turned me off of her character. She did bring a different element to the table though and it was her that sparked the whole situation in Elementary Dear Data.

I nulled my vote because I have never been able to choose a favourite season.

By the way, TransporterMalfunction I too like Dr. Pulaski and there are others here who did too.

I like Season 6 the best, myself.

Stardate:213455.8

Me too :lol:

I'm going to wait to vote until I watch Season 7 on DVD, since I haven't seen those episodes since their original airing. I will give a short run down of my opinion on each season except that for now.

Season 1- Wasn't a huge fan of this season, however, bad star trek is still better than most television. Overall it had weak moments but there were some good episodes and above all else, important character development occurred that would set the stage for bigger, deeper, and better episodes.

Season 2- This season was more consistent, however, I never really liked Pulaski much. How you can go from classy and beautiful, to old and shrill is beyond me. Regardless, it did have some great episodes. While not as strong as later seasons overall the show took a lot of chances in season 2 and it resulted in some very unique and interesting concepts, the best example being one of my favorite episodes Measure Of A Man.

Season 3- Maybe it was the new uniforms but Season 3 seemed to have been more interesting and better written than the previous two. The episodes in general were more engrossing and improved pacing and character development was shown. Also, season 3 went into a lot of thought-provoking concepts and choices. While the actual episodes perhaps weren't as interesting in some cases, the aforementioned concepts and choices insured that even the weaker episodes left some kind of impression.

Season 4- the cards really fell into place here. Every episode this season had a lot of redeeming qualities and this when some stories were just plain cool. We got a taste of it in Yesterday's Enterprisee, and that same kind of original and well executed story was explored more often in this season in episodes like Future Imperfect, Remember Me, and Clue. And for the record, I enjoyed Devil's Due and Final Mission. :lol:

Season 5- This season did have some slight mis-haps, but it had a plethora of great episodes as well including my favorite Cause And Effect. In a way, this season was more like Season 3 with it's ethical and morality charged themes and stories. The difference is this time they were executed even better than Season 3 and it resulted in episodes like I, Borg and The Masterpiece Society. It also included brilliant pieces of work like Darmok and Inner Light that just blew other television out of the water in my opinion.

Season 6- My favorite thus far. The best thing about this season is that even after 6 years, new twists into character development are still thrown in and are as every bit as interesting as they were in the first couple of seasons. Also, a lot of chances were taken and almost every episode was strangely unique which was part of the appeal here. Season 6 also featued a lot of actor vehicle episodes like Chain Of Command for Steward and Frame Of Mind for Frakes which turned out brilliantly well. Only Aquiel and True-Q were a bit of a let down. So yes, I really liked Schisms (despite a weak ending sequence) and Rascals.

I nulled my vote because I have never been able to choose a favourite season. 

By the way, TransporterMalfunction I too like Dr. Pulaski and there are others here who did too.

Perhaps I am a bit strange but I differ from the majority of people as I really like the earlier seasons of The Next Generation the best, as they seem to have a larger amount of my favourite episodes. Although saying that TNG always had good episodes in every season, such was the quality of the show.

I can understand why people dislike Pulaski for being arrogant, but I always saw it as personal drive to get things done. She also served as a device to bring out other characters such as Data and Geordi, and eventually they because their own little trio. I also liked the fact that she did not take any messing from anyone, including the Captain(a bit of a McCoy trait), and it was this strong will and personality that pushed her to the front of most stories. Oh well, perhaps Pulaski will be posted to the Titan in the next film.

I voted for 6, since it was a great season, and I hate to null a vote.. hehehe

But, well, I think that I really loved all the 7 seasons...

I am quite surprised many votes are for the one season many trek fans think was the most inconsistant of the 7, which was Season 7.

I voted for season 4 because it was IMO the most consisitant of the seasons. We have great episodes, like the Klingon arc, Clues, Family, The Minds Eye, and remember me. Also, I think it has most of the underrated episodes of the series like:

Legacy

Future Imperfect

The Minds eye

The Wounded

Brothers

TNG took that momentum they had with Season three, and ran away with it in this season.

Whichever season had Best of Both Worlds or any other episode with a Borg in it.

I'd say a tie between 3rd and 4th because whenever I have to choose a favourite, it usually comes from one of those seasons (ie offspring) and when I have to choose a favourite episode from each season, those always end up with the most on the list. without using these methods to decide, I wouldn't be able to tell, if that makes any sense...

I am quite surprised many votes are for the one season many trek fans think was the most inconsistant of the 7, which was Season 7.

Indeed. I don't mean to bash people here, but this really shocks me. In my opinion, season seven was loaded with a number of horrible episodes, most of which were probably made because of the creative division in the Trek camp between TNG episodes, DS9 episodes, Generations, and developing Voyager. Season seven's redeeming episodes, IMHO, were "All Good Things..." (of course, a great finale), "Lower Decks" (we finally get to know the little people), "Preemptive Strike" (the first Trek episode in a long time to have a not-happy ending...it was almost DS9like!), and maybe "The Pegasus" and "Parallels", only because they were fun episodes. ("The Pegasus" also had that priceless Captain Picard Day scene.) But season seven had some really bad episodes as well, such as "Phantasms", "Force of Nature", "Homeward", "Masks", "Eye of the Beholder", "Genesis", and probably the two worst episodes of TNG ever made, "Sub Rosa" and "Emergence". And don't even get me started on that whole Troi-Worf relationship--what the heck were the writers thinking?!

Okay, I'm sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone, but in my mind, all of the bad of season seven far outweighs the few bits of good, thus making it probably the worst or second worst season in my mind (Roddenberry-led season one still had pretty bad ones to compete).

I was looking over each season trying to narrow it down by looking for a season that stands out by doing the best job of mixing stories that add to established Trek mythos and exploring new ideas at the same time but I can't choose!

I thought about that a long time but I just can't decide. I like them all sooo much. Even the first season. And especially this one, it was the beginning of the best TV series ever *sigh* :bow:

So I like them all. I love all seasons. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Captain Picard