Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

'Star Wars' Fans Scare Me

Scottish screen hunk Ewan McGregor is frightened by Star Wars fans and their devoted fervor for the sci-fi saga. The 34-year-old actor, who plays the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, found working on the three prequel Star Wars movies uninspiring as they focused more on special effects than performance - but he is even less enthusiastic about the films' die hard enthusiasts. He says, "There's this huge following, which is weird. They have big meets and conventions, and I find it all a bit frightening. Once this guy met me at a stage door when I was doing a play in London. The guy yelled, 'Obi-Wan. Do you have any advice for a trainee Jedi?' I just said, 'No, don't be so ridiculous.' It's just so weird, it really is."

from IMDB.com

man, if he can't handle Star Wars fans it's a good thing he never appeared on Star Trek, Trek fans are worse! :laugh: We're so bad, Star Wars fans think we're nerds! B)

You just gotta shake your heads at some of these people who can't appreciate what they are given. The three Star Wars movies that he did will probably set him up for life. Other actors would kill for the opportunity he has been given and all he can say is that the fans are weird? I hope his career takes a nosedive after this. Maybe then he will be more appreciative.

Anyone see 'Joey' lately? Brent Spinner was on it, and he gave a strong impression he hates talkin trek, i don't blame him, he is 'Data'..

He should get on his knees every day and give thanks for the role of Data. What else has he done? A small reoccuring part on Night Court and small bit parts in a few movies. Without Star Trek, his career wouldn't be too impressive.

Luckily William Shatner is grateful. They asked him on his website

What word would you use to describe your experience with Star Trek?

Shatner: gratitude

Do you regret ever being on Star Trek?

Shatner: No, Star Trek is the reason we are talking right now.

I'm very happy that Shatner, if no one else, recognizes that Trek jump start his career to super stardom :laugh:

Edited by Gamera

Shatner should definitely be grateful, but his career is also still thriving compared to other Trek actors. In Brent Spiner's case, I feel his popularity as Data may have type-cast him a bit. Without Trek, he may have had no career. With Trek, his future career choices may be strongly limited.

As for Ewan, I agree. Fans who ask questions like that, in Trek or Wars, scare me too. :laugh:

Actually, I agree with everything he said, but he should be incredibly grateful as it will give him a ton o' moolah. He probably IS grateful; you just can't tell from that interview.

Not nearly as grateful as Hayden Christiansen should be, but that's another story...

Everyone should fear Star Wars fans! Even the actors/tresses in the movies!

man, if he can't handle Star Wars fans it's a good thing he never appeared on Star Trek, Trek fans are worse! :laugh: We're so bad, Star Wars fans think we're nerds! B)

323546[/snapback]

I take offense to that. Trek fans aren't worse. You're applying a stereotype against yourself and all of us. Yes there are a small number of nutbars but not a lot. Since you said in another thread that there are more SW fans than ST fans then mathematically speaking there are probably many more nutbar SW fans than ST.

For one thing anyone calling Ewan Mcgregor a Sottish hunk should be killed.

Gerald Butler and Sean Connery are much better looking

EWE-an better kneel on the ground and kiss the ground SW fans walk on. Noone would know who the hell he was if it wern't for Obi-wan

People like him piss me off. He is so ungrateful!I'm a SW and ST person and i'm cool! :laugh:

Sorry to offend you it hurts my feelings when I accidentally do that, that's why I try as hard as I can not to. So I truly do apologize to any one that was hurt by what I said. B) , and no I'm not being sarcastic, I am very serious with my apology. :laugh:

I never consider excited fans that dress and act weird nutbars and I have no problem being stereotyped into that category, because I would probably be the same way if I had enough money to buy a uniform to wear. B) But you are right, it is a stereotype.

Edited by Gamera

Noone would know who the hell he was if it weren't for Obi-wan

Actually Ewan has done some great movies in the past.

Sorry to offend you it hurts my feelings when I accidentally do that, that's why I  try as hard as I can not to. So I truly do apologize to any one that was hurt by what I said.  B) , and no I'm not being sarcastic, I am very serious with my apology.  :laugh:

I never consider excited fans that dress and act weird nutbars and I have no problem being stereotyped into that category, because I would probably be the same way if I had enough money to buy a uniform to wear.  B) But you are right, it is a stereotype.

323734[/snapback]

I probably overreacted. I'm just sooooooo tired of Trekkies being categorized as being crazy people who can't tell fiction from reality. Other fan groups don't get treated with the same derision that we do.

By nutbars, I talking about people who take it too far and make all of us look stupid because the media and non-fans think we're all like them.

Noone would know who the hell he was if it weren't for Obi-wan

Actually Ewan has done some great movies in the past.

323758[/snapback]

Agreed, Trainspotting was a fantastic film and most likely one of the best to come from these shores for the past 15-20 years. Yes Star Wars has made his name a lot bigger but he was getting there anyway.

Someone Posted This On SW.com. I Agree With Him To A Point, About Certain Fans That Act Like That..Thus Causing The Stereotype.

And He Was Probably Taken Out Of Context Some.

But He Has A Right To Say Any Damn Thing He Wants.

For one thing anyone calling Ewan Mcgregor a Sottish hunk should be killed.

Gerald Butler and Sean Connery are much better looking

EWE-an better kneel on the ground and kiss the ground SW fans walk on. Noone would know who the hell he was if it wern't for Obi-wan

People like him piss me off. He is so ungrateful!I'm a SW and ST person and i'm cool! :laugh:

323726[/snapback]

Actually you are misinformed regarding Ewan.

He's an amazing actor and he's like a chameleon, he changes with each roles, which bodes well for his acting career to last long.

He's a great actor and he'll be around for a very long time.

Here's a small sample of his career in the past 10+ years:

Flora Plum (2005) (in production)

Gnomeo and Juliet (2006) (announced) (voice) .... Gnomeo

The Island (2005) (post-production) .... Lincoln Six-Echo

Stay (2005) (completed) .... Sam Foster

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) .... Obi-Wan Kenobi

Valiant (2005) (voice) .... Valiant

Robots (2005) (voice) .... Rodney Copperbottom

... aka Robots: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)

Big Fish (2003) .... Ed Bloom (Young)

Young Adam (2003) .... Joe Taylor

Down with Love (2003) .... Catcher Block

... aka Down with Love - Zum Teufel mit der Liebe! (Germany)

Solid Geometry (2002) (TV) .... Phil

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) .... Obi-Wan Kenobi

... aka Attack of the Clones: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version (promotional title))

... aka Star Wars II (USA: promotional abbreviation)

... aka Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones (USA: video box title)

Black Hawk Down (2001) .... Spec. John Grimes

Moulin Rouge! (2001) .... Christian

Nora (2000) .... James Joyce

... aka Nora - Die leidenschaftliche Liebe von James Joyce (Germany)

Anno Domini (2000)

Eye of the Beholder (1999) .... Stephen Wilson

Rogue Trader (1999) .... Nick Leeson

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) .... Obi-Wan Kenobi

... aka Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace (USA: video box title)

... aka The Phantom Menace (USA: short title)

Little Voice (1998) .... Billy

Velvet Goldmine (1998) .... Curt Wild

Desserts (1998) .... Stroller

A Life Less Ordinary (1997) .... Robert Lewis

The Serpent's Kiss (1997) .... Meneer Chrome

... aka Baiser du serpent, Le (France)

... aka Schlangenkuss, Der (Germany)

Nightwatch (1997) .... Martin Bells

Brassed Off (1996) .... Andy

... aka Brassed Off! (USA: poster title)

"Karaoke" (1996) (mini) TV Series .... Young Man

Emma (1996) .... Frank Churchill

The Pillow Book (1996) .... Jerome

Trainspotting (1996) .... Renton

Blue Juice (1995) .... Dean Raymond

Doggin' Around (1994) (TV) .... Tom Clayton

Shallow Grave (1994) .... Alex Law

"The Scarlet and the Black" (1993) (mini) TV Series .... Julien Sorel

Lipstick on Your Collar (1993) (TV) .... Pvt. Mick Hopper

Being Human (1993) .... Alvarez

Family Style (1993) (TV) .... Jimmy

As for a "true" varied actor being scared by the fans, I can see his point.

He gave a part of his life to the role, but it hasn't taken over his life.

People who haven't been in the movies yet they go to extremes and such, that it boarders on obsession.

I think with how actors can be stalked by fans, there is some justification in his feelings.

I'm sure he'd rather be appreciated for who he is as a whole, than defined by one role all his life.

He'll eventually have to come to grips with that if it plays out that way for him.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Why do they scare you

They have light sabers we have phazers :laugh:

Luckily William Shatner is grateful. They asked him on his website

What word would you use to describe your experience with Star Trek?

Shatner: gratitude

Do you regret ever being on Star Trek?

Shatner: No, Star Trek is the reason we are talking right now.

I'm very happy that Shatner, if no one else, recognizes that Trek jump start his career to super stardom :laugh:

323592[/snapback]

The thing about Shatner is that he can see that the obsessiveness it a bit much.

Thus why he can joke about it too.

Take the skit on SNL. IF I remember correctly he was poking fun at himself from something he actually said at one of those conventions.

Why do they scare you

They have light sabers we have phazers B)

323798[/snapback]

Lightsabers And Phasers Aren't Real. :laugh: B)

And I'll Admit That I've Never Heard Of Him Until TPM Came Out, But I Don't Think I Never Would Have If Not For SW. I Doubt Landing The Roles His Romantic Comedies Had Much To Do With SW.

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

Any actor should look at any role that gives him even the slightest recognition as a blessing. There are thousands of really talented actors/actresses out there but how many of them have you heard of? Most will make a marginal if any existence with acting and have to supplement their income with other jobs. There are only so many movies and TV shows made a year so the competition for parts is incredible. So any actor that trashes fans or looks down on some roles that he/she played should be ashamed of themselves. They should consider themselves extremely lucky to be able to make a living with acting.

I have a lot of issues with Ewan Mcgregor..

Here is a list of them

1> His movies - Most are boring (notbecause of the movies but because of him there are certain exceptions)

2> HE IS NOT HANDSOME- There are many other Sottish men that are much sexier- Angus Mcfaden,Sean connery and Gerald butler take my bid

3>He can't act for crap (unless he is crying) Can he NOT play a gay guy for once!

4> He is arrogent-I have many freinds who says he refuses to sign certain items,especially SW things. Sometimes not signing at all.

Obi-wan made him a household name. I was too young to watch trainspotting when it came out. Plus who wants to see a movie about Drugs? Hippies?

Nope this man is a shmuck

I have a lot of issues with Ewan Mcgregor..

Here is a list of them

1> His movies - Most are boring (notbecause of the movies but because of him there are certain exceptions)

2> HE IS NOT HANDSOME- There are many other Sottish men that are much sexier- Angus Mcfaden,Sean connery and Gerald butler take my bid

3>He can't act for crap (unless he is crying) Can he NOT play a gay guy for once!

4> He is arrogent-I have many freinds who says he refuses to sign certain items,especially SW things. Sometimes not signing at all.

Obi-wan made him a household name. I was too young to watch trainspotting when it came out. Plus who wants to see a movie about Drugs? Hippies?

Nope this man is a shmuck

323922[/snapback]

Hmmm

1> Sorry He Bores You.

2> That Ofcourse Is Just A Matter Of Opinion Between You The Rest Of The Ladies. :tear:

3> Now I Have To Disagree Here, But That's All :tear:

4> Nothing To Say Hear, Never Met The Man.

I Haven't Seen Trainspotting Myself, But Most Of My Friends That Have Seen Like It...Dunno If I Would...

Anyway...I'm Sure We All Have Different Opinions About Ewan McGregor, But I Just Felt The Need To Say Something Here.

Catch Ya Later :lol:

As far as I can remember he is human.

1> Sorry He Bores You.

Thats ok i don't hold it against anyone but him :tear:

2> That Ofcourse Is Just A Matter Of Opinion Between You The Rest Of The Ladies.
yes and the men also.. MEN loooooove him

4> Nothing To Say Hear, Never Met The Man.

As far as I can remember he is human

I did. He was an ...uh ...donkey..I have met many people ,actors singers and the lot. I never approuch them when they are on the street or eating. Thats just plain rude. But outsdie a show or a porduction or maybe a premiere thats different. I saw him out side the Conan O'brein show. He was nasty. Eddie izzard, Alan Rickman, Keneth Branagh, Catherine Zeta Jones, Gerald Butler who are all huge stars were very VERY nice. He just thinks he is big . Don't think so if he continues to alienate people in that way.

I did read somewhere that during the last play he did he refused to sign Star Wars stuff when he left the theatre. He did however sign Playbills and give autographs - just no signing Star Wars stuff.

It's a shame that some of these actors don't think about what they're getting into before they take the roles. Still though, if that's the way he feels and wants to be then he's cutting off a potential income source for the future.

man, if he can't handle Star Wars fans it's a good thing he never appeared on Star Trek, Trek fans are worse! :lol: We're so bad, Star Wars fans think we're nerds! ^_^

Um, I think it's the other way around, actually...

Scottish screen hunk Ewan McGregor is frightened by Star Wars fans and their devoted fervor for the sci-fi saga. The 34-year-old actor, who plays the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, found working on the three prequel Star Wars movies uninspiring as they focused more on special effects than performance - but he is even less enthusiastic about the films' die hard enthusiasts. He says, "There's this huge following, which is weird. They have big meets and conventions, and I find it all a bit frightening. Once this guy met me at a stage door when I was doing a play in London. The guy yelled, 'Obi-Wan. Do you have any advice for a trainee Jedi?' I just said, 'No, don't be so ridiculous.' It's just so weird, it really is."

from IMDB.com

If anything I think he's taking the fan comments far too seriously. If someone refers to him as "Obi-Wan" then he should realise that they are being lighthearted and probably do not want serious advice for Jedi. Re: the conventions, I'm not sure why sci-fi/fantasy fans attending a convention would be any more frightening than say tens of thousands of fans cramming into Murrayfield to watch men kicking a ball around, and why exactly would a "huge following" be "weird?"

Edited by Lady Britannia