Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

Chicken ticketed for crossing the road.

Police Ticket Chicken for Crossing the Road

Trial Scheduled After Owners Protest Jaywalking Ticket

RIDGECREST, Calif. (May 9) - Linc and Helena Moore may have finally learned the answer to that age-old question: Why did the chicken cross the road? Because the chicken doesn't know jaywalking is illegal.

Kern County Sheriff's Deputy J. Nicholson does know, however. The deputy issued a ticket on March 26 to one of the couple's chickens for impeding traffic on a road in Johannesburg, a rural mining community southeast of Ridgecrest.

The Moores arrived in Superior Court on Friday to plead not guilty to their chicken's alleged transgression. A trial was scheduled for May 16.

Nicholson has declined to discuss the matter, but sheriff's Sgt. Francis Moore said chickens on the roadway have been a problem in the community of 50 residents. Officials didn't believe it could be resolved by simply issuing the couple a warning.

''Sometimes you have to let people talk to the judge,'' Moore said.

The chicken's owners say they believe they were cited because they were among several people who complained that sheriff's deputies haven't done enough to control off-road vehicle riders who damage roads and create dust and noise in their neighborhood.

Sheriff's officials say that isn't so, adding they are doing what they can to keep off-roaders away from the area's homes.

''The chicken thing has nothing to do with the motorcycle thing,'' Moore said.

Well that's stupid. They can't control the chicken (from what I know) so why should they be responsible for its actions?

Well if that's not the silliest little thing you have heard of I don't know what is. I'm glad to see that tax payers money is going to good use. :rofl::bow:

Idiotic but the couple should be responsible for their animals.

Going a little far to fill his ticket quota i think :rofl:

The chicken saw the road. In its very small mind it thought I most cross it. Animals will do as they please even if the owner is best care taker in the world. Astro has been taught that he can't go outside without me. There are times when I open the door and Astro runs at full speed outside just to smell the grass.

I'm guessing the police were using the same "logic" if someone's dog ran away and was causing trouble.

Well that's stupid. They can't control the chicken (from what I know) so why should they be responsible for its actions?

323290[/snapback]

Chickens are supposed to kept in pens - if you can't control them - you shouldn't own them.

I'm guessing most people responding either live in cities and/or are not home owners. I actually have a relative who has an issues with neighbor's chickens - it would be nice if our Sheriff's dept could learn from these folks.

You shouldn't have your private property destroyed (like chickens eating your cat's food and pecking the seeds from your freshly planted garden) and I certainly wouldn't want to wait for chickens to cross the road. Of course in the area where my sister is - they'd be dead chickens 'cause people fly down that road.

It amazes me how no one ever looks at these ridiculous stories from the perspective of other citizens.

I've gotta say - the owners must be pretty terrible if they can't ensure the safety of their animals. Who would let their chickens roam in the streets???