Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Enterprise vs Stargate

In some ways all the two "universes" (stargate and star trek) have in common is they are both science fiction. And there are too many differences to discuss them all but these are the ones I've noticed: fan responsiveness, humor and the likeability of characters.

It is obvious to anyone that watches Stargate that TPTB are reading what the fans are saying. The SG1 episode "Citizen Joe" was an outstanding example of this - I rolled with laughter as they wove one fan comment after another into the plot. There is a good side and a bad side to that - one recurring character has been promoted to regular cast; unfortunately another cast member was reduced to a recurring role because TPTB didn't think he was working.

ENT never officially did that although some of the characters had very minimal screen time. But my complaint was how Trip was downgraded in season three and four. After season one Trip was probably my favorite character - primary reason would be that he was funny. I read other surveys that felt pretty much the same. Apparently TPTB thought funny was bad. Funny isn't bad - TOS had humor - and it helped establish meaningful character relationships. But it seems that as far as ENT was concerned TPTB had other ideas - in later seasons Trip became little more than a backdrop for T'pol's scenes - and the humor was gone. We saw a little bit in season four (but while season four has been great - it just always felt it was too late in coming). Anyway the point was they cut back on a popular character in order to emphasize ones that just didn't have the appeal - as someone posting on this site called it "The Archer and T'Pol show"

This doesn't mean SG is by any means totally fan directed. There was one quote by the writers saying they were considering hiring body guards when they finally decided how to resolve a certain storyline. :nono:

Another difference I see between the shows is that the SG universe doesn't take itself so seriously - and they actually make fun of themselves. Now - in season three of ENT that may not have been appropriate but still - much like season three of ENT - the members of the SGA expedition have faced their own possible demise at the hands of a powerful enemy that also wanted to destroy Earth, and they watched friends die. But they managed to make us laugh while they were made us cry. And they often managed to accomplish that with the same character.

The last difference I see is the "likeabilty" of the characters. Some of the ENT characters weren't likeable - T'Pol wasn't, Hoshi wasn't at first and Mayweather may have been but you never really got to know. Archer wasn't always very likeable either. Phlox had a great deal of depth and I grew to like him a lot (just not his toenails) and Trip was a fairly likeable character. So far, I think Malcolm will probably end on the best note with me. The SG1 team - now they're just likeable people - I don't see how anyone could not like any of them. The SGA team has a intentionally "unlikeable" character but they've done a terrific job at balancing his arrogance with occasional acts of humanity (and yes he's funny). The UPN folks never tried to balance T'Pol's arrogance with likeability (they did with Spock and Tuvok though). Now some people may not mind watching a bunch of characters they don't like - but I don't like it.

The real plus of Trek has been it's ability to address sensitive issues in its "fictional surrounding" but in truth - the few times they tried it with ENT they came across more as "preaching" than as enlightening; now if the SG universe was compared to DS9 or TNG then ST would definitely win in the real world awareness category - although I think SGA is doing pretty good for its first season. Still I wonder why ENT didn't try harder at being the thing that made Trek famous. And why didn't it give a little more humor and more likeable characters.

I've never been able to sit through an episode of Stargate without falling asleep. I've tried very hard to like it but I just don't. Enterprise is way better.

I really like Stargate. I have watched it from the beginning, as I have with Star Trek. I really enjoy the humorous elements and the references to Star Trek. If you want to talk about unlikeable characters imo there is the new Battlestar Gallactica, but that's a whole different topic. I agree that the Stargate characters are very appealing and that's a big part of why I watch. The whole wormwhole travel is very appealing too. The supporting characters are also fun to watch develop over time.

I've never watched Stargate but I would say their PTBs have it much easier than those involved with Trek (any Trek - not just Enterprise). There are too many Trek fans who spend way too much time picking through every second of every episode/movie to find anything they think is "wrong" that they can't even see what is right anymore.

What I have said is meant in general terms. This post is NOT aimed at any person or persons specifically.

I love Stargate SG1, and am beginning to like Stargate Atlantis, and I agree that the characters are very likeable, and well-developed. I watch reruns of Stargate just like I watch reruns of Star Trek. I miss a lot of the new episodes of Stargate SG1 because I choose to watch Enterprise instead. I do watch the new episodes of SGA.

I care about the characters on Enterprise. I do not dislike them, with the exception of T'pol, and I am more disappointed than anything with what tptb have done with her character. I like many of the Enterprise episodes as well as any of my other favorite episodes, and while I will be careful about buying season sets, I will pick up individual episodes.

I think I read more into the characters than is actually presented. In spite of the fact that little has been done with Mayweather's character, he is a very real character to me....one that loves space exploration enough to leave his beloved family in order to go further than he ever would have gone if he stayed with the family business. He loves being on Enterprise. He is full of personality and practical jokes, and is liked by his fellow crew members. He likes being at the helm where he gets to see what's coming first, but he is humble and does not put himself forward. He is real to me.

I like Hoshi, and how she has grown. You know that hollow feeling you get in your stomach if you are at some high altitude looking down, and there is insufficient railing, or other protection? You know how the tingling goes all the way down your feet? I often feel this way if driving through the mountains of West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina. It is a very primal gut -wrenching kind of fear. I think Hoshi had deep fear and trepidation when she first came on board. A very real, abiding fear that was only out-paced by the desire to learn all the new languages she would encounter if she would just step out. I thought her character's initial fear was believable, and I love the fact that she grew.

I could go on. Suffice it to say that Star Trek still reigns with me, even though I love SG1 and really like SGA.

There are too many Trek fans who spend way too much time picking through every second of every episode/movie to find anything they think is "wrong" that they can't even see what is right anymore.

313596[/snapback]

It is clear that you are talking about excessiveness, not individuals debating differing opinions about various points made about a program. I agree with that statement.

I liked the Stargate movie but I never really got hooks to watching the series although I do like McGyver. He was a superhero with the magic Swiss Blade. Whenever I watch Stargate.... all I see is McGyver.

I liked the Stargate movie but I never really got hooks to watching the series although I do like McGyver. He was a superhero with the magic Swiss Blade. Whenever I watch Stargate.... all I see is McGyver.

313797[/snapback]

You didn't watch enough - one day I was watching a rerun of McGuyver and thought hmmm there's Colonel O'Neill. :)

Aside from the hero stuff - some very different characters.

O'Neill hates scientists and solves everything with p-90

Stargate is a great show, but then again so is Enterprise. I like them both equally. The characters on both shows have developed very nicely and the stories are all top notched. If I really had to pick a favorite I would pick Enterprise, with Stargate a very,very close second.

Edited by Klingonmike

313797[/snapback]

You didn't watch enough - one day I was watching a rerun of McGuyver and thought hmmm there's Colonel O'Neill. :)

Aside from the hero stuff - some very different characters.

O'Neill hates scientists and solves everything with p-90

313838[/snapback]

Mebbe you're right. I'll try to watch it again someday. As of the moment, my sat tv isn't showing it yet.