Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Shuttling for hours

As was quite rightly pointed out in The Nitpickers Guide, I never can get over the whole shuttling for hours thing to a planet. I was watching the episode recently with Geordi going to Risa and getting kidnapped. He flies there at 10 kph in a crap impule shuttle. Why? The Enterprise could nip over there in a second and then drop him off. It's like me making you walk 20 kilometres to a cinema when I have a car and could easily drop you off in like half an hour. Worf even took a shuttle to his Klingon thing and Picard and Wes took one as well.

I agree, it all seems a bit strange.. The Enterprise could be there in a couple of minutes, but yet they have to take a shuttle..

It is often good for character development, but it's illogical, and not very clever to let the captain fly with a shuttle for several hours totally unguarded.. :dude:

I see both your points, but I think the explanation behind it would be that the Enterprise had other duties to attend to during these shuttle trips.

Sometimes it helps to get the characters away from the ship to move a story along. I agree with Stelfan and Ddilard...the inconsistencies of Trek..many a wonderful thing.

It's a good point, I don't know why they just wouldn't equip the shuttles with a mini warp drive that could at least do warp 5.

It could be said that some people might enjoy the trip in the shuttle though.

I see both your points, but I think the explanation behind it would be that the Enterprise had other duties to attend to during these shuttle trips.

Exactly. The Enterprise can't go off course every time somebody needs to be dropped off.

The way I see it is this: the Enterprise is not an intergalactic bus. It can't just take everyone to everywhere they wanted to go. If that were the case, the Enterprise would be detouring all the time to drop people off and pick them up. It would continually be interrupted and forced to put its main task on hold, whatever that may be.

I agree with ~Crims~ about equipping the shuttles with a sort of warp drive. They could at least do that. 10 kph seems a little slow for a shuttle...

Stardate:23438.9

I also agree with beedrill.Unless it is something important the Enterprise isnt gonna take evybody where they need to go all the time.

I agree with ddillards point as well.

They could have reached their destination in a shorter time if the ship just flew there and dropped them off. But it didn't happen.

The reason it couldn't be done was because there were other pressing engagements.

Yeah but we're talking only a few seconds to zip over in the Enterprise. I mean warp drive vs sub light. If it would take hours in a shuttle then it would be literally seconds at warp 8 and that would hardly take the Enterprise too much out of it's schedule. If it would then that would mean that the Enterprise would have to be run to the very second each day. So how do they cope when a Romulan Warbird attacks or a virus hits the system?

I’m sorry but imo, the "Not an Important enough Mission" theory does not hold water, what about Picards heart? That was not important enough to warrant the Ent going a couple seconds out of it's way... I think the choice to use a shuttle is made for (mostly) personal reasons, Worf needed to be alone for a while; Picard wanted to bond with Wes, things of that sort.

I’m sorry but imo, the "Not an Important enough Mission" theory does not hold water, what about Picards heart? That was not important enough to warrant the Ent going a couple seconds out of it's way... I think the choice to use a shuttle is made for (mostly) personal reasons, Worf needed to be alone for a while; Picard wanted to bond with Wes, things of that sort.

I agree. I never thought of it as a choice thing before.

Nicely put Mr. Vice Pres.

Well put Alterego. I think you hit the nail on the head with your summary. B)