Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Do you have ideas to expand trivia?

Should chat room trivia be on Sat. or Sun.?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should chat room trivia be on Sat. or Sun.?

• Keep it on Saturday
    • Move it to Sunday
    • Either day works --- There will be NO effect in my participation

No, but it would be pretty boring...

Master q- What stardate did Benjamin Sisko become captain?

Someone- Uh... 24?

Master q- Next question...

No, but it would be pretty boring...

Master q- What stardate did Benjamin Sisko become captain?

Someone- Uh... 24?

Master q- Next question...

310591[/snapback]

You forgot, the answer is always 42 :P

It wouldn't keep me from playing anyway. We wait for the answers in the board trivia, why should it bother us to do the same for the chat trivia.

Then what's the point of going out of your way to play chat trivia when you can play regular trivia?

People can look up the answers to regular trivia. Chat trivia is speed and knowledge, plus you get to show off a little when you know the answer.

I have been gone from StarTrekFans.net for a few days. ---Just have been busy and do not see that changing any time soon.

It is nice to see the increase of good input. :P

If by chance I did start to have repeats, I would then give the trivia answers in both the original and in the repeat chat room session. I just would not post the questions & answers on the message board until both sessions have been concluded. Withholding answers in the sessions would increase accountability diminutively for assurance of no cheating or passing info. (The trivia questions could just as easily be past along.)

Cheating is a possibility in hosting repeats, but it is not my primary concern or issue with being more against doing them, then for doing them. I can envision other conflicts and troubles that outweigh doing them. There is also an issue of my schedule and some of the things I need to get done during the weekends.

The other overall consensus I seem to get from the majority here is that we should move the session to Sundays. I think I can do that. (Not this coming session, though.) Is there anyone here that could not participate or would be less likely to do so on a Sunday versus a Saturday?

Once we have the day, we then have to set the time. Something plus or minus one or two hours from 4PM EST I believe would be okay with me. (That is, if we want to change the time at all.)

Quick Notes:

By the way, this Saturday I will be hosting a chat room trivia session at 4PM EST.

More trivia news is coming your way soon...

post-68-1104456831.gif

Edited by master_q

*sigh* I won't be able to make the trivia session this week, but next one I plan on coming to.

As for what was mentioned earlier about people cheating, jeez, how difficult is it to exercise a little self-discipline? Remember in "The Neutral Zone" when the one fella was like "Why don't you have an executive key then for security?" and Picard responds, "Everyone on the ship exercises enough self-control so as not to need one" or something to that effect. Man, how difficult is it to keep the answers to yourself?

Then again, I don't talk to many others on this site, so it's easy for me, heh :P

Is there anyone here that could not participate or would be less likely to do so on a Sunday versus a Saturday?

310789[/snapback]

Me. Much to my chagrin, I would likely miss numerous Sunday sessions. Of course, that's just me, and I recognize that we must do what's best for the group as a whole.

I'd be more likely to be able to appear on Sunday but will be happy to go along with the majority vote. Maybe you should do a poll to see which day suits the trivia players best and another for times.

I'm suprised it's not more popular.  I mean, trivia is fun, especially when Star Trek is concerned!

309751[/snapback]

Trivia IS fun!

But not everyone has the same knowledge of Trek, nor do they wish to have a very complete knowledge. They just enjoy the show.

I don't think it's a bad thing either way.

However, I do wonder if some people are intimidated by it?

Having not seen the questions, I wouldn't know.

But I do know that I am more inclined not to participate because I know I haven't been a faithful follower of Trek since TNG ended.

Some people are casual trek watchers, not like us. :P So they may get frustrated when they don't get any, or can't type fast enough.

hey i like Trek but i don't know every stardate and every character ever..I don't know what the presicewarp core temp is either

Make three Games....Easy, moderate and and expert . So that we can all play

hey i like Trek but i don't know every stardate and every character ever..I don't know what the presicewarp core temp is either

Make three Games....Easy, moderate and and expert . So that we can all play

311115[/snapback]

Then you might run into the hassel of trying to define who fits into what catagory, like me, Lt. Cmdr. moderate or expert?

I've been doing pretty well on Trivia since I started doing it not too long ago.

Making good progress up the league table.

Currently I'm on 741 points, once I get to 2500 points, I'll retire from Trivia. :P

Currently I'm on 741 points, once I get to 2500 points, I'll retire from Trivia.  :P

311119[/snapback]

Sure you will... :yahoo:

I just had another idea, perhaps you could have a guest trivia person, like a super q, do an extra session (like the sunday session) or take over one of the biweekly sessions

Anyway, who would decide who fits into the easy group, moderate group, or expert group?

311137[/snapback]

Perhaps that can depend on the scoring, reach a certain score level in the easy level, and then you are "promoted" to the moderate group.

One of these days I will get back into trivia...

Not sure about trivia chats though.. though I do not mind some chatting going on at the same time, last two times I attended there seemed to be more chatting than trivia being done (do not freak out anyone, this is just my observation and it was a long long time ago... some time around the middle of last year). A couple of trivia chats I attended(honestly never really attended too many, just a handful) were awesome!! Time to answer questions was just right, not much chatting in the open forum(probably most were doing as my friend and I were doing and that was click the private chat function so you were not distracting the other players), and everyone seemed to have a great time... and at the end the chatting commenced...if it were not for severe thunderstorms, I might have stayed in there another half hour or so. It was great.

But the last two were more frustrating, than fun.. time to answer questions seemed quite lessened, and you had to try and catch master_q's questions amongst the chit-chat going on. I am sure it is better now, but I still do not know. If I have more time, I may attend one again in the near future. But right now, I may have a job change coming up, the end of the semester(and having a ton of make up work from being out sick for two weeks) is coming up, competitions and performances for dance and music jobs...so we shall see..

I have a suggestion. You know the links in the heading of every page on the site (Member Map - Forums - Search - Members - Calendar - Live Chat - Gallery)? Why not add a link called "Trivia," which links to the Trivia threads?

I have a suggestion.  You know the links in the heading of every page on the site (Member Map - Forums - Search - Members - Calendar - Live Chat - Gallery)?  Why not add a link called "Trivia," which links to the Trivia threads?

311273[/snapback]

Oh brilliant! It's always sorta a pain to get to the trivia section

Yillara_Soong: You make a very good point. I really want to thank you for adding that into the topic. :P And I hope that other people add comments on that very point.

It has always been something I have tried to balance correctly. In the past there has been some session that have had the session swing to the side of more chatting versus questions & answers. There was not a good balance at all. However, I also don't want to swing to the side of no chatting at all and just question & answer after question & answer. I believe that would be boring to most people. So after some questions I try to expand on a topic to bring a little conversation in the trivia session. It is usually something really simple to chat about and kind of trivial, but I think that makes the session more interactive and fun. I want people to come back. Some people are not good at Star Trek trivia. I don't want to turn those people completely off. That's why I try to make a (somewhat) entertaining session for everyone.

One reason I have now added new things at the end of the session is to make the session entertaining, and hopefully it will bring some people back ----- even those that usually would not participate in the trivia. That's why in session 27 I added the "headlines of the future" because it was funny. That's why in session 28 I added the 1955 "Good Wife's Guide." Or the joke that I had to make my sessions more politically correct because the ACLU is threatening to sue us here at StarTrekFans.net. So we had to think of ways to make these sessions more politically correct. Or the last session we just had I added some of David Letterman's Top Tens that related to Star Trek. So the use of some tongue-in-cheek is being used.

"Activities" in the sessions were added for the same reason. It seems more people are accepting them and liking them. Before I remember people hated them. That was probably partly to do with they way I structured some of the first activates, but even so it seems more of the newer players enjoy them comparatively.

Interesting enough while now people like the "Activates," at least for the most part, people seem to now dislike more the dialogs of me taking a small scene out of Star Trek and putting it into the chat room. Some times when I ask a question out of a movie, for example, I follow that question & answer up with the dialog that parallels the question & answer. When I first started them people seemed to be overall okay with them, but now it seems to be just the opposite because more people complain about them. (And that's fine because it tells me not to do one in every session.)

The conversation between questions I believe has died down relative to some of the earlier sessions I have hosted. The only thing that might get annoying is the almost constant expressions of "yah! I got the question" or the "good job, __." Nothing wrong with doing that, but maybe it should not be a constant thing after every question (or almost every question).

Like I said---- Some conversation is good, though. And I do encourage some. When it does happen I try to let everyone know that the next question is ready and will be coming. (I say; “Q#...”)

Well, I am not a 'player.' I just host them and give the questions. I think we have gotten better in the balance between actual play and conversations between, but I am just the host. Do you guys think there is too much conversation making it difficult to play? Because if it is, we do not have the correct balance that we need. ...Or, do you think we have swung that balance to just the opposite?

As for regularly hosting different sessions with different levels of difficultly------- In a nutshell: It is not going to happen.

For the trivia link--------OK with me.

post-68-1104456831.gif

George, I'm not sure if you saw my suggestion above, so I'm posting it again. You know the links in the heading of every page on the site (Member Map - Forums - Search - Members - Calendar - Live Chat - Gallery)? Why not add a link called "Trivia," which links to the Trivia threads? This would make it easier for anybody to go from wherever they are in the site to Trivia, but it would also have the added benefit of giving more visibility to Trivia, on each and every page of the site. Perhaps such a universally available link would lure new folks in to Trivia.