Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Do you have ideas to expand trivia?

Should chat room trivia be on Sat. or Sun.?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should chat room trivia be on Sat. or Sun.?

• Keep it on Saturday
    • Move it to Sunday
    • Either day works --- There will be NO effect in my participation

Chat Room Trivia Session N1

This session is exclusive to newbies!

If you are a newbie and have never participate in a live chat room trivia session before (or participated for the first time in session #32), then please join me in the chat room this coming Saturday, March 12th, 2005 at 4:00PM EST (1PM PST). I will be hosting a Newbie Session! It should be fun. It will not be intimidating in anyway. So please join-in. Just for joining you will get five points up-front! :(

Need help with the Time Zone?

Time Zone Converter: Click Here

Still having troubles? Send me a PM and I'll do my best to help. B)

post-68-1104456831.gif

Not surprisingly this did not work out. It was not marketed correctly or even advertised correctly. I should have tried the repeat idea instead, or take Ace's idea for having a newbie session that allows regular players to come to; which the newbie players will get more points if they answer a question correctly versus a regular.

One of the things that will help expand the trivia is word of mouth. That is the best way to help it grow and to spread the word about the chat room and message board Star Trek trivia. So if you know someone that enjoys Star Trek, then please let them know about the message board and chat room trivia over here at StarTrekFans.net. We would appreciate your help a lot.

For those of you that were in the last session, you guys know that you can make some points if you try to get some new players to play. All they have to do is tell me that they are new to the chat room trivia and that they were told to give it a try by "so-in-so." It is a win-win for everyone and will help the trivia grow.

Do any of you have any ideas or comments to help expand the chat room trivia (and message board too)?

I think the trivia can be fun and I also believe the quality is good enough to have it more popular and much more active then it is currently.

One thing we could try is make a few small banners that people can use to put on different communities and websites that link to us here on the trivia. I know some of you are very talented with artistic ability to make really good banners, so maybe I can give some bonus points for the creation of them. And if all of you can use them to help out then that would be a great help. ----That's one thing I am throwing out. There are a lot of things we can do. So please help me and SpaceTigger out here.

post-68-1104456831.gif

Capt_Picard, I am not sure if I want to change the day I host them, but thank you for throwing that idea out there. :bow:

If there are enough people that agree that we should move them to Sunday, then I'll consider it as long as it increases the amount of people that come and not decreases it. There would also be the possibility to change Saturday's time it is hosted.

My main thing is that I would like to increase the amount of participation. I think one of the keys of that is to get the word out about it, and would not necessarily require the change of the day or time it is being held.

post-68-1104456831.gif

I'd have to agree with Capt. Picard, Saturday's a very awkward day for the trivia for me and I imagine a lot of other people too. For a lot of people it's the only real day you can do what you've wanted to do all week. Sunday's more of a rest day and I think more people could make it then.

How about multiple trivia sessions per week? Master Q, you could work with SpaceTigger so that one of you could do the trivia one day, and the other another day. Make it the same trivia and that if you participated in one, you can't be in the other.

Hi David (and ussacclaim, Matt, MrPsychic, & Spockstellaiter):

The notice might not have been soon enough due to proximity to when you probably told them, to when I officially announced the newbie chat was taking place on this date. (That's to put a positive-spin on this, if I even can.) But, thanks for trying to get the word out! :bow: Hopefully it will bring in some new people in the next session and during this or next week on the message board. :bow: Thanks so much.

If you guys think we should move it to Sunday, then maybe we should have a vote on that.

What does everyone think about that? - - - Mrs.Picard, Indy, AngelOfDarkness, Jack_Bauer, Daniel_Berry, Rick_Alverado, Star_Trek_Fan, Roy, Miss_Satoire, JGG, WEAREBORG4102,... and all of the rest of you...? I would really appreciate everyone's input. :P

For hosting it more then once----I considered that. My repeat idea would be the equivalent to that. Hmmm..... I'm not sure if I really want to do that on a regular basis. ....Multiple factors of my reasoning there.

SpaceTigger: I was looking through your questions this week and the last, and I noticed that you must be reading my mind because it seems two questions are almost the exact thing (of course, slightly worded differently), that I have thought up for session #35. Hehehe LOL

post-68-1104456831.gif

SpaceTigger: I was looking through your questions this week and the last, and I noticed that you must be reading my mind because it seems two questions are almost the exact thing (of course, slightly worded differently), that I have thought up for session #35. Hehehe LOL

Wow MQ..Great Trivia minds think alike I guess.. :bow:

I'd prefer the session to remain on Saturday, but would of course bow to the...uh, let's say the needs of the many. Of course, I'd as likely as not have to miss many of the Sunday sessions.

Multiple trivia sessions sounds like a nifty idea, for everybody besides George and Mike. These two guys already put in a great deal of work in producing their respective trivia contests, and I can't imagine asking them to take even more of their time in doing so. I do think that George might be on to something, though, when he speaks of getting the word out in more places than just StarTrekFans.net. Perhaps a few well-placed banners would bring in some new blood.

I also have another trivia suggestion, a variation of which I made to Mike a while ago. Since we now have two Super Qs, how about distinguishing the top trivia competitor in some way? Perhaps the upper echelon of trivia ranks could remain Super Q, but the very top trivia competitor could be given the additional designation "Great Bird of the Galaxy." (Or we could do it the other way around, with the highest level being Great Bird, and the number-one person being Super Q.) Just a thought.

I have to agree with psy , I don't go because I am usually out its usually in the evening on a sat where I am. So If I wanna go on a date maybe or hell just hang out with friends at the movies or go for drinks and act like the grown up my birth certificate says I am, I have to miss it. I miss the actual quiz :bow: I usually don't do the usual questions ST throws onto the site cause I am spendiong time typing out my projects and essays I have written out usually by hand (I am a nerd, I like writing things twice)

I know I'm not as active in the trivia chats as I once was (time constraints), but I'll put my two cents in.

Either day works about the same for me, to be completely honest. Sunday might be a little better, but not by much. I will try to get back into the swing of things when I can.

Whatever works best for you, MQ. :bow:

Well, I wouldn't mind moving the session to Sunday, that's fine with me, master q. :bow:

All I am concerned about is the time. I'm several hours ahead of you guys and if you decided to play trivia at, let's say, 7 PM your time, I wouldn't have a chance to attend the session because that'd be too late (or early :P ) for me. :bow:

yah, the time is kinda messed up for me to, cause its at 1:00pm my time, and my aunty is usually on the computer then. If it was 3 hours later, it would work, but that would make it to tuff for other people to join in. Thats why i think that you should put it to a vote when the best time is, because theres so many different time zones here, its insane. If we had a vote, we could find out something of a "middle" time for everyone.

I agree with moving the day to Sunday, because I work almost every Saturday now.

Also we could try more themed chats, like an all DS9 trivia chat, or an all Bajoran trivia chat, or an all Jadzia trivia chat :wink2:

Tho I haven't participated, I would like to. Sunday might work better, but would that be fair to regulars? Would there be some way to repeat at different times or have questions you could send answers to (or do you already do that?) maybe with quick answers getting more points? I also like the idea of some themed trivia - DS9, TOS etc.

Multiple sessions is a good idea, those who participate in one can't participate in the repeat. The only problem with that is that it would probably mean more work for the Trivia Masters which isn't really all that fair considering how much work they both put in already.

How about multiple trivia sessions per week?  Master Q, you could work with SpaceTigger so that one of you could do the trivia one day, and the other another day.  Make it the same trivia and that if you participated in one, you can't be in the other.

309765[/snapback]

I'm glad everyone liked my idea. :P But should the multiple trivia sessions be Saturday/Sunday, or a day during the week? More people would probably be available for the Saturday/Sunday trivia.

But the problem is people who were in the first one could inform their buddies about the answers. :wink2:

I think the best way to do it would be one on a weekday the other at the weekend.

But the problem is people who were in the first one could inform their buddies about the answers. :wink2:

310570[/snapback]

Wouldn't make much sense to do that, since you're pretty much against everyone else on the site. There's a listing of everyone's score in the trivia forum.

Also the answers wouldn't be posted until both sessions are over.

310576[/snapback]

But to get points you have to type the answers in front of everyone.

I too doubt anyone would cheat but just to assure everyone; the Trivia Master at the time could withhold from giving the answers in the Trivia Chat, the answers could be posted AFTER both (or all) of the chat room Trivia sessions for a given week are completed.

They wouldn't until the answers were later posted. A little awkward? Perhaps but it may also add suspense. Would not knowing the answers right away keep you from playing?