1. 1. How good was The Caretaker?

• AWESOME
    • Entertaining
    • Good
    • O.K.
    • Not Very Good
    • Annoying
    • HORRIBLE

I've always thought of the caretaker as a negative influence in the affairs of the Delta Quadrant.

First, his race virtually destroyed the Ocampa home world then to 'repair the damage' they stick the whole race underground and let their natural mental abilities wither away.

If the caretaker had the technology to transport ships across the galaxy, couldn't he transport the Ocampa to a new home, repair the atmospheric damage, or help the Ocampa adapt to the new environment.

Imagine the Delta Quadrant if the Ocampa had been allowed to develop their awesome mental powers.

They may have used their abilities to spread peace and perhaps lay the foundation for a Federation-type organization that might have slowed or even destroyed the borg centuries ago.

Good point... :huh:  :cheers: im dumb :blush:

307733[/snapback]

I certainly wouldn't say your dumb just because you have a different view on the caretaker. :blush:

I would be interested to hear what it is about him that you like. (other than his cool banjo picking :angry: nobody could have a problem with that :angry: )

Good point... :blush:  :cheers: im dumb :angry:

307733[/snapback]

I certainly wouldn't say your dumb just because you have a different view on the caretaker. B)

I would be interested to hear what it is about him that you like. (other than his cool banjo picking :huh: nobody could have a problem with that :hug: )

307735[/snapback]

I like the Sense of Honor that the Caretaker has. As he says in the movie, there was another, but they got tired of doing that simple work, and protecting the Ocompa. He, however, didn't leave. He stayed behind, protecting the Ocompa, fixing his errors, just as Captain Janeway did in the episode "the cloud". Having said that, I would venture to say that the Caretaker said that his species didn't know the technology would hurt the Ocompa's Planet, Just as Captain Janeway's Ship (Technology) Hurt The Cloud.

Although these are good reasons, the main reason that i like it is because of the holographic lady that menecingly says, "Since nobody wants any corn, we'll have to proceed ahead of schedule," as she holds a pitch fork up to Tom Paris.

To put in Summary:

The Caretaker Really isn't that much different from picard, or Janeway. They all share a sense of duty, and honor.

I maily just liked the pitchfork lady though! :) :angry: :huh: :blush:

Edited by the_ocompa

He was well intentioned, he just didn't have the foresight and ability to think rationally about what he was doing.

He was well intentioned, he just didn't have the foresight and ability to think rationally about what he was doing.

307961[/snapback]

I agree. :blush:

I like welfconfed's idea. Very good!

But I think it's possible that the caretaker's species, though sentient, powerful, and obviously capable of interstellar travel, are a bit... shall we say, two dimensional? At least the male one. His heart was in the right place in wanting to help the Ocampa recover, but his methods he employed were basically that of a 12-year-old. If a 12-year-old human had that kind of power.

The Caretaker felt guilty about the predicament he had put the Ocampa in. He was dying and felt they would not be able to survive without him....Of course his thinking was not logical...and it was he that had made the Ocampa so dependent. Still the Caretaker considered himself their protector. Over the course of our own history, there are leaders/dictators that we could compare him to.....think about it.

I always thought that the episode was just "OK", if your asking about my opinion of the actual character then I don't really have an opinion.

The pilot episode of VOY was very poor IMRO.

Very weak plot, which didn't give me a lot of confidence in the series that would follow.

Aside from a few good episodes and the improvement which Seven Of Nine brought to the show, my general opinion of VOY was low.

I regard it as the fourth best Trek show.

Edited by The King

The Caretaker felt guilty about the predicament he had put the Ocampa in.  He was dying and felt they would not be able to survive without him....Of course his thinking was not logical...and it was he that had made the Ocampa so dependent.  Still the Caretaker considered himself their protector.  Over the course of our own history, there are leaders/dictators that we could compare him to.....think about it.

308126[/snapback]

Ocompa isn't it, or do i have to fix my Signature?

The pilot episode of VOY was very poor IMRO.

Very weak plot, which didn't give me a lot of confidence in the series that would follow.

Aside from a few good episodes and the improvement which Seven Of Nine brought to the show, my general opinion of VOY was low.

I regard it as the fourth best Trek show.

308675[/snapback]

Boo! your wrong, it can't be 4th! :eek: :angry: :look: