Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Battlestar Galactica - revisted

Well, now that they have several episodes under their belts - I can say this show is tedious. I don't know what they hope to accomplish with the the Cylon and God talk but it is getting very old.

And things are moving too slowly - I don't want all special effects and action - but a little action wouldn't be such a bad thing. All this talk, talk, talk, it's like a high school literature assignment trying to discern all the symbolism.

Anyone still enjoying it?

So far I am still enjoying the show. Yes the baltar thing is getting a bit old but I was able to watch the last two shows of this season so it makes more sence. I am enjoying watching these shows to see how the last two hook up.

I watched the initial TV movie and the first 3 regular episodes and have seen nothing but a snoozefest. This could possibly be the most boring show in sci-fi history. The only resemblence between this show and the original Battlestar:Galactica is the ship and the name of the series. Other than that, it is a completely different show.

I watch it if I don't fall asleep on it. When I fall asleep I try to catch the rerun on Monday night, if I do not fall asleep on it.

I find the remarks from the treacherous Cylons regarding " God having a plan" to be a completely cynical device from the writers of the program. I cannot respect that aspect of the program.

I think the tediousness of the program could genuinely help convey the true nature of the humans' desparate situation if there were not so many other useless and meaningless plot elements adding nothing but empty distraction.

Well one thing is certain, Starbuck and Boomer are a heck of a lot cuter than in the original series.

So there!  I like it!  So shut up!

307434[/snapback]

Absolutely not! Starbuck and Boomer were handsome daring guys, and a lot cuter in the original series. :blush:

I suppose it depends on your perspective.........

Well, now that they have several episodes under their belts - I can say this show is tedious.  I don't know what they hope to accomplish with the the Cylon and God talk but it is getting very old.

And things are moving too slowly - I don't want all special effects and action - but a little action wouldn't be such a bad thing.  All this talk, talk, talk, it's like a high school literature assignment trying to discern all the symbolism.

Anyone still enjoying it?

307063[/snapback]

Well, I'm enjoying the show....but I agree...this "Cylon/ God /religious story-arc is very....something....the writers need to put it to bed or....as a judge would say...is this going anywhere...cause it needs to get to the point real fast...

The second problem I'm having with it is....they are drawing from/ making it Mirror actual Earth/American cultural motifs too closely...like the funeral..and the folding the flag into a triangle, the 21 gun salute, the pilot briefing room...cso...it's all streight from actual SOP from our military...what's the odds of the 12 colonies evolving/developing the exact formal protocols as we (Earth-lost colonie)...

I enjoy this newer Battlestar Galatica very much! It much better than the older version and seems more real to me in the way they shoot it. I look forward to it every week now. Friday night is certainly a good stay at home sci-fi night!

Do not care for the new one .

may in the future as i will watch it.

I am not going to be able to watch it. I am not longer going to attempt to watch it.

I tried to watch it Friday night, and that Cylon siren began spouting lines about God again, lines often spoken by Christians seriously, but by this heartless creature in a meaningless context. The cynicism toward people of faith demostrated by using their words in this way is simply is overwhelming to me.

The commendable aspects of this treatment of Battlestar Gallatica are completely overshadowed by the regularity with which the Cylons are used to mock God. Star Trek has never been this extreme in its treatment of religion.

I am through with it. I am done with SciFi Friday after Stargate Atlantis.

MJ, I've been recording the last couple of episodes and just fast forwarding through Baltar/Cylon chick so I really don't know all that has been said in the last couple of weeks.

But I will say that without the Baltar scenes it wasn't so bad this week - there was a battle and some good news. I really like the scenes between Lee and his father, and that scene when the fighters came back into the bay. The Celtic music helped set a good tone for that scene. I guess if I had watched the Baltar scene I wouldn't have felt the same.

It's funny I didn't really realize they were trying to demean religion until you pointed it out - I just thought they were idiots or something.

I just watched Friday's ep and did what TUH did; I fast-forwarded through some of the Baltar/#6 scenes. Doing it that way, the ep was really entertaining.

This show would be great if they would just cut out the weird religious references and most of the Baltar/#6 scenes! I swear, Baltar annoys the heck outta me. :bow:

I just watched Friday's ep and did what TUH did; I fast-forwarded through some of the Baltar/#6 scenes. Doing it that way, the ep was really entertaining.

This show would be great if they would just cut out the weird religious references and most of the Baltar/#6 scenes! I swear, Baltar annoys the heck outta me. :bow:

309789[/snapback]

Well......maybe I will try taping without watching, and then fast-forwarding through the Baltar/Cylon scene. I never finished the episode, because I was so put off by the cynical way common religious admonitions were flowing out of her mouth that I just switiched channels.

I still very much like watching the show but I have to agree with most of you that the baltar stuff is getting alittle old. As I have said before I was able to see the last two shows of this season.

Click For Spoiler
even after watching the last two shows I still have no clue if baltar is being contacted by the cyclons or if he is going mad. If it is the cyclons they are softing him up so he will do anything they want him to do. As at the end of the last show it does look like the cyclons are talking to him. We will just have to see.
Edited by fredbroca

The show still interests and at times annoys me. I remember the old series. Although it was pretty tame, it was enjoyable escapism. This is edgier which is ok but comes on a bit strong and defintely dark at times. Perhaps if they had been original and not borrowed the name and outline of the original series I would like it better. Baltar and 5 are annoying at times but it is an interesting element at other times. I liked the original characters on the original show and find many of these new offshoots less likable yet more realistic.

After reading the above posts of some, all I can say is, so much for the aspect of tolerance among the more religious individuals here. An aspect that is suppossed to be virtuous. It's a TV show. What they are saying isn't going to cause the world to crumble or society to fall apart overnight. It's a view from the writers to express a point and they have a right to make it as much as anyone. It may seem unflattering to some but in what way? I doubt if what is being written as script is going to cause the world to end. It's a well done show and it's science fiction. Leave it at that.

After reading the above posts of some, all I can say is, so much for the aspect of tolerance among the more religious individuals here.  An aspect that is suppossed to be virtuous.  It's a TV show.  What they are saying isn't going to cause the world to crumble or society to fall apart overnight.  It's a view from the writers to express a point and they have a right to make it as much as anyone.  It may seem unflattering to some but in what way?  I doubt if what is being written as script is going to cause the world to end.  It's a well done show and it's science fiction.  Leave it at that.

310348[/snapback]

No one said the world would crumble. No one said they didn't have the right to do it. It's just an aspect that not everyone enjoys. People are allowed to have different tastes ;) .

Besides, I can *almost* deal with the "unflattering" religious references. It's the fact that Baltar and #6 are always getting it on :P . I favor more character development over the constant sexuality.

Even if someone completely despised those aspects, however, it would be their prerogative.

After reading the above posts of some, all I can say is, so much for the aspect of tolerance among the more religious individuals here.  An aspect that is suppossed to be virtuous.  It's a TV show.  What they are saying isn't going to cause the world to crumble or society to fall apart overnight.  It's a view from the writers to express a point and they have a right to make it as much as anyone.  It may seem unflattering to some but in what way?  I doubt if what is being written as script is going to cause the world to end.  It's a well done show and it's science fiction.  Leave it at that.

310348[/snapback]

No one said the world would crumble. No one said they didn't have the right to do it. It's just an aspect that not everyone enjoys. People are allowed to have different tastes :P .

Even if someone completely despised those aspects, however, it would be their prerogative.

310364[/snapback]

Also I do not have a problem with the treatment of the other religion in Battlestar. You are quite presumptuous to assume a lack of tolerance.

I will give an illustration. I ( an African American) would not go to a Ku Klux Klan or Aryan Nation meeting for entertainment purposes, because they would be insulting me. That is not making any comment on their right of free assembly. I just would not go there for fun.

Likewise I do not enjoy the cynical use of the Cylons to denigrate Christianity by having that Cylon siren spout lines common to the Christian vernacular. It's not fun to me. It is insulting.

To TUH and Ace: I tried a version of your recommended solution. I did not record Battlestar. I simply placed the TV on mute when the Baltar pair came on, since I know they are the primary source of what I do not care to subject myself to. I was able to enjoy the rest of the episode Monday night, and the scene with Adama and Apollo was compelling. I am still trying to see what Adama meant when he said he knew Apollo's capabilities because he was his son. They spent a lot of time apart, and Adama does not consider himself to have been a good father. Was he saying it was " in the bloodline," that Apollo was a chip off the old block, and that is why he knew he could do it? Or did he say it because he really knew the character and capability of his son? Or was he just trying to inspire confidence since Starbuck would not be in a fighter?

310348[/snapback]

That was, unnecessary. I started this thread because I was curious what people thought - because, as I stated, it's a little too slow moving for me. I am not aware of any board policy that says people are not allowed to express negative opinions.

And I don't know what you think tolerance means but it doesn't mean you have to stand in a room and listen to people call you names. They may have their free speech to insult you but you have the right to leave the room. And if the producers are trying to demean religion then they should expect religious people would not watch it and probably don't care that they don't since they aren't the target audience. But I wouldn't know because the scenes are too boring for me to watch. And I agree with Ace - watching Baltar get it on with the imaginary girl isn't my idea of a compelling plot.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

After tonights episode the is only two shows left in this season. I guess I was wondering how many people are still watching the show and how they think of it. I also would love to here what everybody thinks after the season is over. I already can't wait to see what next season has to offer.

I thought last night's episode was great. :angry:

Still an avid Galactican, and I think Tom Zarek is a real good character.

Click For Spoiler
179409.png
post-812-1095566621.gif Edited by DrWho42

I thought last night's episode was great. :angry:

Still an avid Galactican, and I think Tom Zarek is a real good character.

Click For Spoiler
post-812-1095566621.gif

311213[/snapback]

I fell asleep on it again. I will try to catch the rerun Monday night.

I'm not afraid to admit that I've become addicted to the show. It is a great show and I can't wait see what happens in the season finale. The only thing is I don't know what I'm gonna do while waiting for it to premiere again in July.

Jessica

You did not miss anything. They were showing why baltar was picked to be a babie sitter. The way I see it they will not explain why the cylons have progresed in the way they are going until the end of the show and maybe not even then.

Click For Spoiler
After seeing Adama getting shot again they look like gut wounds. So I really think that he will survive or the show will not be as good.

Click For Spoiler

315365[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler

I thought it was a pretty good season finale. TUH is right in that they didn't tie up any loose ends, but I guess that's how they're going to make sure we're back to watch next season.

Click For Spoiler

Still don't like Baltar. :P

You did not miss anything.  They were showing why baltar was picked to be a babie sitter.  The way I see it they will not explain why the cylons have progresed in the way they are going until the end of the show and maybe not even then. 

Click For Spoiler
After seeing Adama getting shot again they look like gut wounds.  So I really think that he will survive or the show will not be as good.

315365[/snapback]

I must have been distracted at that point - so why was Baltar picked?

They did not say why he was picked

Click For Spoiler
It just seems to me they were telling him that bomer from the planet was to be coming and that he was the one to take care of it. At least that is what I got out of it.

I am also starting to think and this might have been ovious to everybody else is that the cylons and the president are both talking about the same writings so I can see later on that the humans Idea of what the writings mean are the right one.