Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Where are you?

There has to be some TOS fans out here but this seems to be the least talked about series lately. What are some of your insights on TOS? I think it was a groundbreaking show, way ahead of it's time!

I think that TOS was a very funny show.. i am well 18 and use to all the new technology and special effects so watching TOS is just funny because some of the acting is sooo bad.. but i agree it was ahead of its time and being done in the era it was done it i would give it a 9/10 ...

:D

-Laur

Yeah, looking at it through younger eyes I can understand that. I grew up in the 70's as a boy pretending to be James T. Kirk in my back yard so I kind of look at the show with the same awe of that little boy from years gone by. It's hard to believe there were only 79 original episodes, and from that we have well over 500 episodes from the other series.

lol u pretended to be Kirk.. hehe i Grew up on Next Gen cuz of my daddy.. so i always Pretended to be Deanna.. thats y i asked to be the councelor.. and y i act like a councelor to all my friends:)..

but yeah TOS never had a real chance to start.. but the time that they got going they ended.. at leats their movies had a chance.. and better quality.. i LUVED The Voyage Home..

-Laur

lol u pretended to be Kirk.. hehe i Grew up on Next Gen cuz of my daddy.. so i always Pretended to be Deanna.. thats y i asked to be the councelor.. and y i act like a councelor to all my friends:)..

but yeah TOS never had  a real chance to start.. but the time that they got going they ended.. at leats their movies had a chance.. and better quality.. i LUVED The Voyage Home..

-Laur

Yep, I was James T. Kirk and my best friend was Spock... lol My front yard even had 5 slabs of stone at the foot of the front steps and we'd use them as transporter pads. LOL

I had a phaser, a tricorder and walkee talkee's that liked like communicators. Oh, to be 8 again... LOL

I like TOS, and your right it was ahead of it's time, people only watched because it was in colour :) , TOS is classic TV as is TNG. TOS dealt more with social issuses of that day, which TNG and others since have done but not as clear as on TOS. Honestly i like the movies with the TOS cast more than the show :) , but there are some really great ones, and if not for that show we wouldn't be talking about this, but something wonderful; happened on that show that light up the minds of so many kids, considering it was on for only 3 seasons, just like Monty Pythons Flying Circus :) .

Oh, and me and my friends played in our back yard, i was Data, i had my phaser and tricorder i got for christmas in 1993, man am i old. :D

I like TOS, and your right it was ahead of it's time, people only watched because it was in colour :) , TOS is classic TV as is TNG. TOS dealt more with social issuses of that day, which TNG and others since have done but not as clear as on TOS. Honestly i like the movies with the TOS cast more than the show :) , but there are some really great ones, and if not for that show we wouldn't be talking about this, but something wonderful; happened on that show that light up the minds of so many kids, considering it was on for only 3 seasons, just like Monty Pythons Flying Circus :)  .

Oh, and me and my friends played in our back yard, i was Data, i had my phaser and tricorder  i got for christmas in 1994, man am i old.  :D

If you pretended to be data then you are NOT old... lol

Maybe I'm old! I grew up with TOS and Dr. Who being my favourite t.v. shows. When mobile phones first came out onto the market, I refused to buy one until they became small and compact and had the flip cover to speak in to!

And, Poguemahone, my kids are now crazy about Monty Python's Flying Circus and any spin-offs that those crazy characters created.

V.C.

And, Poguemahone, my kids are now crazy about Monty Python's Flying Circus and any spin-offs that those crazy characters created.

V.C.

Ah,.... the next gen of monty python fans :D , see what good classic tv does, it never dies

V.C.

Ah,.... the next gen of monty python fans :D , see what good classic tv does, it never dies

That's right, Poguemahone. However, it is a little embarrasing when my son carries on like the Gumbys in public! :)

V.C.

That's right, Poguemahone. However, it is a little embarrasing when my son carries on like the Gumbys in public! :)

V.C.

AWW thats so cute.. :)

Now worry if he wants to act like Ricky Martin :) B) :D :)

Lauren,

I didn't mean those Gumbys on that kids show. I meant the silly Gumbys on the Monty Python series. See for yourself....mr-gumby.jpg

Embarassing?

V.C.

Unfortunatly my Last Boyfriend and Still good Friend LUVED ALL monty python movies so i was subjected to them.. and i know who the gumbys are.. i didn't even think of the cartton till now..

but its still cute.. lol

and Nice nelson Pic :D

-Laur :)

Unfortunatly my Last Boyfriend and Still good Friend LUVED ALL monty python movies so i was subjected to them.. and i know who the gumbys are.. i didn't even think of the cartton till now..

but its still cute.. lol

and Nice nelson Pic :D

-Laur :D

Lauren,

He must be a good sort of bloke!

V.C.

Guest Guest_LINDA620

THE ORIGINAL SERIES IS THE ONLY SERIES AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED---YES, ITS THE BEST.... SOME OF THE NEXT GENERATION IS OK -- BUT NOTHIN LIKE TOS--- THATS MY OPINION.... THANKS, LINDA

While TOS is nowhere near as polished and pretty as the ones that followed, if it were not for TOS, they would not have been at all. I got hooked years ago when there was nothing but TOS. I became so engrossed that almost no one i knew could stump me on Trek trivia for TOS. I love the show. It changed my life. :bow:

There are two kinds of Star Trek fans that bother me. 1.) Those who ONLY like TOS 2.)Those who like everything except TOS.

It's all good... :bow: The special effects may be out dated but TOS ability to capture the human spirit, mold it, and spit it out improved was remarkable. I love Enterprise and I don't mean to dog on it but there are episodes of TOS and TNG that have changed my way of thinking. I don't think that Enterpise (and maybe Voyager) have had that power.

I agree, Tank. They had spirit and conviction. The spirit of the Great Bird could be greatly felt in both, but the others are missing that driving force.

Maybe that was some of with Shatner was talking about?

Guest Ktrek

Well, since TOS was the first ST I ever watched it will always have a special place in my heart. By today's standards the effects are cheesy and the style is campy but I like cheesy and campy! :wow: You want to see real cheese and camp look at the old Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers serials with Buster Crabb. Now that's cheesy!! But they were/are SO cool!!! I love them. The main thing for me is whether the story can be conveyed effectively. If it can than I'm a happy camper!! No pun intended! B)

Ktrek

I can see through the cheap look of the Original Series to imagine the technology that exists underneath. And I appreciate what they were doing with the show. But a lot of episodes bore me. I love the visual aspects of Star Trek and the special effects that come with them. TOS just lacks a lot of these. Though i do love the Trouble with Tribbles, City on the Edge of Forever, and so on. Very well written. And, TOS has a nostalgic value to it as I used to watch it every Sunday morning after Church and I was allowed to take my sunday dinner into the tv room to watch it which was a nice treat!

Oh, and me and my friends played in our back yard, i was Data, i had my phaser and tricorder  i got for christmas in 1993, man am i old.  :wow:

ok now you can stop anytime, im only 31 and you talking about pretending to be data, making you feel old is making me feel ancient. aahhhgggg stop already lol. i never pretended to be anybody but TOS will ALWAYS be the one and only. i loved watching it. i loved the movies even better. TOS made the best movies till FIRST CONTACT came out. but first contact still dont have the feel of TOS movies. i think the stories, and how their screen presence was, is still the best. you cant beat the original. sequal, and now prequal series are great, but again TOS started it all, and without that corny, sometime bad acting series, it wouldnt be the same USA, that we live in today.

Oh, and me and my friends played in our back yard, i was Data, i had my phaser and tricorder  i got for christmas in 1993, man am i old.  :blink:

ok now you can stop anytime, im only 31 and you talking about pretending to be data, making you feel old is making me feel ancient. aahhhgggg stop already lol.

Well we could always hope he was 20 when he was playing in his backyard. ;)

Oh, and me and my friends played in our back yard, i was Data, i had my phaser and tricorder  i got for christmas in 1993, man am i old.  :blink:

ok now you can stop anytime, im only 31 and you talking about pretending to be data, making you feel old is making me feel ancient. aahhhgggg stop already lol.

Well we could always hope he was 20 when he was playing in his backyard. ;)

yeah i could go for that, or better yet 30 :D , but that might be a little weird if ya think about it. lol

The Original Series is by far my favorite of all the Star Trek series ever made,and the TOS novels are my favorite books.Aside from its being a groundbreaking and inspirational series that challenged its viewers to think,and that challeneged many of the social ills of its time,TOS had a certain romance about it that was not unlike the fantasy stories I also loved.James T. Kirk was a Knight,noble,brave,just,and the Enterprise was his steed.It was a fantastical era when men were men,where all women were gorgeous and intelligent,and where good and evil were viewed in terms of absolute black and white.There were very few areas of gray.I liked that.

It's all good... <_< The special effects may be out dated but TOS ability to capture the human spirit, mold it, and spit it out improved was remarkable. I love Enterprise and I don't mean to dog on it but there are episodes of TOS and TNG that have changed my way of thinking.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! You nailed it.

And I think some of the social commentary is still very relevant even today, which is why so many still appreciate the show.

The special effects, though "cheesey" by today's standards, were good for the time. Star Trek was the first all-color TV show. I loved the surrealistic backdrops and sets, the pink and purple lighting gels, et al. TOS made you use your imagination.