Sign in to follow this  
ChiFire

Comic books and Superheroes

I went to the Mall of Georgia yesterday and found a store that sells things fans of different things would love. Such as Anime and comic related stuff. I bought me a Superman mousepad, Superman light switch cover and a Superman steering wheel cover :nono:

Breaking News: The New York Times is reporting that, on Wednesday, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled that the heirs of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel are entitled to reclaim their share of the U.S. copyright to the character of Superman. The ruling left intact Time Warner’s international rights to the character. The article indicates further litigation is necessary to determine how much Warner Brothers owes the Siegels since 1999, the year their rights are deemed to have returned to them. It also remains to be determined whether Warner's movie unit would owe the Siegels money for "Superman Returns" (and any sequel) or if the ruling applies only to DC Comics' exploitation of the character. Note this is a separate case from the ongoing dispute over Superboy. Stay tuned to the Superman Homepage for more information as it becomes available.

This is horrible news for fans. The Siegel family doesn't care anything for the fans of Superman and only want the money, which they are entitled to, but it screws the fans so badly. I hate the thought of Superman being stuck in the same situation of Superboy, which the family has been fighting for for years. Meaning, it is going to be harder for anything Superman to be released. It's been a nightmare just to get season two of Superboy out on the market, and it still isn't!

A lot of fans are scared about what this will mean for the future of the Man of Steel. This could mean a delay in the next Superman film, and some are saying that Superman may not appear in the JLA movie. What's the Justice League without Superman somewhere in the picture? Not to mention, this could mean costs of comics get more expensive.

Siegal's family deserves ownership to Superman, since Jerry did co-create the character, but it could mean bad things for fans in the future

Wow! I was unaware that Siegel still had any claims to Superman. I thought they sold off their rights years ago. I hope this gets worked out quickly.

I just finished watching the complete series of the "Adventures of Superman" starring George Reeves. Since this the thread about comics, I just thought I'd share my thoughts. :lol:

I was born in 1983, so obviously I did not grow up watching this TV series. What impressed me most about this series was that it never got old. I mean to say, the first episode was just a good and as interesting as the last. Even though none of the villains from the comic book series made an appearance on the TV show, "Adventures of Superman" stayed exciting.

It's mainly due to the fact of and great acting of George Reeves, who made a believable Clark Kent and a confident Superman. While I was watching, I was very impressed with stories. Even though they are mostly mob-related stories, it never seemed dated. It's like a classic movie, it just doesn't date even though it is. I can't give all of the credit to George, because the guy who ended really stealing the show by the end of the series was Jack Larson as Jimmy Olsen. By the end, he got the best scenes and lines for good reason, he is funny. I agree with a lot of fans, out of all of the actors to play Jimmy, Larson did it the best.

I fondly remember that show. It even pre-dates ME!... :lol: I used to watch the reruns all the time amd I love the theme music. The show is a sign of the times in which it was made. This is the "Golden Age" Superman that we see on this show. When the Superman comics first came out, Superman did just battle mobsters and stuff. The wacky villians came later.

Wow! I was unaware that Siegel still had any claims to Superman. I thought they sold off their rights years ago. I hope this gets worked out quickly.

Here's the news letter I got from Superman Homepage that explains the situation more :lol:

The American Congress amended the Copyright Act in 1997, changing the conditions under which the heirs and estates of the original creators could attempt to recapture their original rights.

These changes meant that the original copyright transfer between Siegel & Shuster and DC was terminated in 1999. At this point the Siegels had the right to recapture the copyrights to Superman under the updated US Copyright Act.

Almost 10 years later the federal court ruled in favor of the Siegels, granting them their share of ownership of the Superman copyright. It's expected that Time Warner will appeal this decision, but at this point in time the court's ruling means TW may end up paying millions of dollars to the Siegels for any domestic monies made on Superman since 1999.

At this point in time, DC Comics owns the other half share to Superman, Joe Shuster's share. However in 2013, if the current ruling is not over-turned in any future appeal, the Shuster estate (Joe had no direct heirs) could also exercise the same legal recourse to claim ownership of Joe Shuster's share.

As you can see, it's a complicated matter. Throw into the mix the difference between Copyright and Trademarks, and things get even more convoluted. But what it comes down to, is not greed, but law. The law says that the Siegels are joint owners of the copyright to Superman. The Siegels are only claiming what is legally theirs.

What does this mean for us as Superman fans? I honestly don't know. Will it mean no more Superman comic books? No more Superman merchandise? No more Superman movies? I doubt it. It just means (if I understand it correctly) that the profits from any Superman products/merchandise need to be shared with the Siegels. But I may be wrong on that point.

It's way too early to make any predictions. I'm sure we'll read a lot more about this in the next few days, weeks and months. I'm sure all involved would like to clear the air on the matter if they could, but with legal matters far from over, it's just not possible. Joanne and Laura Siegel have promised me they'll talk to the Superman Homepage about it all when they can.

Strangely enough, under the current Copyright laws, this may all be a moot subject by 2033, when Superman copyright would enter the public domain.

If you want to read more on this news story, check out the following reports:

New York Times - www.nytimes.com

Comic Book Resources - www.comicbookresources.com

Variety - www.variety.com

Regards,

Steve Younis

Edited by The Kryptonian

I never in my life read an Iron Man comic, but the new movie's trailers look cool, I never really read a Ghost Rider comic book either and I enjoyed that movie

I've yet to see the Ghost Rider movie but I want to.

You don't really have to read the comics to enjoy the movie. The movies tend to stray from the comics anyway. Spider-Man able to shoot webs from his wrists without web-shooters?....PULEEZE!... :lol:

Edited by Kor37

You don't really have to read the comics to enjoy the movie. The movies tend to stray from the comics anyway. Spider-Man able to shoot webs from his wrists without web-shooters?....PULEEZE!... :lol:

true with Spidy

but I think its better if you read the comic so you know a little something about it

My fave comic would have to be V for Vendetta, but superhero wise have always been a fan of Superman...though Batman comes a close second.

You don't really have to read the comics to enjoy the movie. The movies tend to stray from the comics anyway. Spider-Man able to shoot webs from his wrists without web-shooters?....PULEEZE!... :tribble:

that was James Cameron's idea. He said that there is no way that a teenager would be able to invent a web shooter, no matter how smart he is. That's where organic webs for Spidey came from, it never bothered me. I thought it was a new idea for the character and they were able to avoid the part of the story when Spidey runs out of web, which he does on occasion with the web-shooter

Edited by The Kryptonian

You don't really have to read the comics to enjoy the movie. The movies tend to stray from the comics anyway. Spider-Man able to shoot webs from his wrists without web-shooters?....PULEEZE!... :tribble:

that was James Cameron's idea. He said that there is no way that a teenager would be able to invent a web shooter, no matter how smart he is. That's where organic webs for Spidey came from, it never bothered me. I thought it was a new idea for the character and they were able to avoid the part of the story when Spidey runs out of web, which he does on occasion with the web-shooter

I just read a story where some school kids created a car that got like 90 miles per gallon so why would it be so hard to believe that a teenager could invent a web shooter?

tell it to Cameron :tribble:

I didn't like the idea when I first heard that they were going to use organic webs, but I didn't mind it after I actually saw the movie. You can't tell the difference when he swings anyway

Edited by The Kryptonian

I hate it when they monkey around with long established things from the comic books. They should be true to the books. I really hope they don't do the same sort of stuff with Iron Man.

batmanbraveandbolkdoz3.jpg

Cartoon Network confirmed the rumored Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon this morning: Also on that slate is The Secret Saturdays, about a family of “world-saving adventure scientists,” and the new Batman series, whose guest stars include Green Arrow, Blue Beetle, Green Lantern and Aquaman. No clip was shown, but Rob Sorcher, Cartoon Net’s chief content officer, says The Brave and the Bold will be “equal doses of comedy and high stakes.” The show will run on Friday nights, but no premiere date was announced.

Can someone say Super Friends? It could be fun, but I'd have to wait and see it to judge. I wonder what Superman will look like when he shows up? It will have a different super hero team up with Batman every week, so it is only a matter of time until we see the Man of Steel

a few weeks ago, I bought the two seasons of "Challenge of the Super Friends". It has been many a year since I have seen the ol' 70s TV series, and as an adult I see it in a whole new light. Cheesy and really bad acting, but still fun. I can't believe that the acting is so bad. I guess they figure since little kids watch it only, why bother trying to act. I just hope that is what they were thinking, otherwise, they are horrible actors. I think I could have done better lol

Viewing those old cartoons as an adult after not having seen them since childhood can be a real eye-opener...... :laugh:

Fugit, Angarano in the running to be next Spider Man

London, May 29: Young actors Patrick Fugit and Michael Angarano are in the lead to replace Tobey Maguire as Spider Man.

Thesun.co.uk reports that Sony wants to make more Spider-Man movies with plans afoot to film the fourth and fifth

part back-to-back. Fugit, who starred in the hit “Almost Famous" and other independent movies like “Saved!”, "Spun" and “Wristcutters”, is right now in the lead to replace Maguire.

The other option Angarano co-starred recently with Jackie Chan and Jet Li in "The Forbidden Kingdom” and also featured in “Sky High

Why do they need to replace Maguire? Doesn't he want to do the role anymore?

The New Incredible Hulk Movie looks good, I think it will erase the memory of that horrible Hulk Moviem I saw the Trailer for it at the Indy 4 premiere that looks good, as does hancock (LOL Han (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)) and The Dark Knight!

good summer for movies