Sign in to follow this  
ChiFire

Comic books and Superheroes

I'm currently reading "The Death of Superman" graphic novel that was put out this year or last that has all of the Doomsday comics. I remember this day well back when it was originally published, and the story is just so well written. When it gets going, it gets going.

Doomsday is a scary character, and that is definitely shown in the story. He destroys JLA without breaking a sweat, no wonder Superman has such a hard time trying to stop the guy. Next week, the movie based on this graphic novel is going to be out on DVD. I may pick up, but I don't know right now.

I have also ordered 3 volumes of "Showcase". It is a collection of classic Superman comics for a cheap price, but the catch is that the pages are black and white. That doesn't bother me

I have the original comic books where Superman "died". They were worth a ton of money for awhile but their value has decreased a lot over the years. It was indeed a great story. The follow up stories where 4 new "Supermen" were introduced were a bit lame though. The Cyborg Superman was just your standard villian, Whatshisface with the big hammer is OK but he is now just a grade B super-hero, the Superboy clone was pretty cool but they killed him off this past year and I forgot who the 4th was.

I have 2 hardback books that I've had for years. One is Superman and the other is Batman. Both books have stories for those heroes from the 1940s and 1950s. Its pretty neat so see how both of these heroes have evolved over the decades. Batman, in particular, is really different from when he first started. The Batman comics from the 1940s are absolutely terrifying to read at times. He has mellowed out a lot over the years.

I have an old action figure from the 90s of Kon-El (the clone Superboy), but it is beat up so much and I don't remember where it is now. I'm thinking about buying "The World Without Superman" graphic novel since it bridges the gap between "death" and "the Return of Superman". With the "Showcase" classic comics (3 volumes-all over 500 pages each) coming in the mail, I don't know if I have the time to read them all :tribble:

I'm currently reading the Superman comics in the volumes of Showcase that are comics from the Silver Age of Superman. Yesterday, I read the story "The Superman From Outer Space".

It is the story about Hyperman, a Superman from another planet similar to Earth called Oceania. He comes to Earth to help cover for Clark while he is Superman so Lois won't discover they are two in the same. As a return of favor, Hyperman asks Superman to come back to Oceania and do the same for him. Superman agrees, but secretly decides that he isn't going to help Hyperman but expose who he really is.

The entire time you think Superman is being a real jerk, but it has an amazin twist that I never saw coming and made the story definitely one of my favorites. For those who don't have the original comic, you can buy the story along with 28 other Superman comics in "DC Showcase Presents: Superman Volume 2". There are three volumes so far of classic Superman comics and I highly recommend them. It is a great read for sure

Those old stories can be a lot of fun to read. Today's comics get a bit too deep and esoterical sometimes.

I just read where they have cast Jessica Biel to play Wonder Woman in the upcoming Justice League movie. While Jessica Biel is no doubt a super hottie, I can't picture her as Wonder Woman. She doesn't have that Amazon look.

Has anyone checked out the trailer to the new Iron Man movie. It looks awesome! Just google "Iron Man Movie"

Is anyone else as tired as I am about how DC keeps rebooting the Superman comic series? I can understand that they would do it in 1986 since it went on for so many years and had to start over to avoid continuity errors and to make him less powerful. Now, I hear that they are planning to reboot again!

I'm all for it if the story is good, but I'm kind of sad that they are getting rid of the storyline that they have established from '86 to now. I don't remember any other comic series being rebooted so much (that I can think of).

Is anyone else as tired as I am about how DC keeps rebooting the Superman comic series? I can understand that they would do it in 1986 since it went on for so many years and had to start over to avoid continuity errors and to make him less powerful. Now, I hear that they are planning to reboot again!

I'm all for it if the story is good, but I'm kind of sad that they are getting rid of the storyline that they have established from '86 to now. I don't remember any other comic series being rebooted so much (that I can think of).

I couldn't agree with you more, Gamera. They are doing this WAY too much. Marvel does the same thing. It makes things very confusing and its really hard to follow the continuity.

the thing that gets under my skin is the situation with Superboy and the Siegel family's lawsuits.

Whats that all about? I haven't read anything about that!

they have been fighting DC for years over ownership. That's why you haven't seen anything about Superboy recently. Which is a shame, because it makes it hard for the TV series Superboy to be released on DVD. The first season was released, but none afterwards

they have been fighting DC for years over ownership. That's why you haven't seen anything about Superboy recently. Which is a shame, because it makes it hard for the TV series Superboy to be released on DVD. The first season was released, but none afterwards

You're talking about the old Superboy series, right? Why wouldn't it affect Smallville, though?

yeah, the series of the late 80s-early 90s. It doesn't affect Smallville since he isn't Superboy. Smallville is like the current Superman continuity where Superboy never happened, but he did help people as just Clark.

Edited by Gamera

Kyle MacLachLan to play Superman in animted movie

From his head-turning debuts in 'Dune' and 'Blue Velvet' to his iconic Special Agent Dale Cooper in 'Twin Peaks' and his current plum primetime role on 'Desperate Housewives,' Kyle MacLachlan has had a memorable career.

Now you can add a new benchmark for the actor: MacLachlan makes his animation debut as the voice of Superman in the highly-anticipated direct-to-DVD film, 'Justice League: The New Frontier.'

Link Here

I can't wait to see this movie, it is the Classic Superman with the black symbol on his chest. It's gonna be really interesting to see

The worst part about the lawsuit is that it's about the young Clark Kent superboy but they killed the Conner Kent superboy because of it. I loved superboy he was great, teen titans hasn't been the same since.

yep, for Kids WB on CW. It premiered this weekend with two episodes. So, try to catch it next weekend if you missed it. It comes on TV today where I live, for some reason Saturday morning cartoons air on Sunday :frusty: . It's strange that my local CW does that, but oh well. I'm planning to see it :laugh:

Good news concerning the Superboy DVD release

Creative/executive producer Ilya Salkind has recently revealed at the Superboy Homepage on February 7, 2008, that "It is a matter of time that the rest of the series will hit DVD." Salkind also stated that "sales (for Season 1) were relevantly on the good side according to the sales on Amazon.com back in June of 2006 it was among the top DVD sets. Season One was very successful and it would only be logical that Warner Bros will follow eventually in the future with the rest of the series." He also stated that due to the Superboy character currently being the subject of a legal battle between Time Warner, the owner of DC Comics, and the estate of Superman/Superboy co-creator Jerry Siegel, this legal dispute may have delayed the remaining seasons to be released on DVD.

Very happy news about Season 2-4 having hope of being released. I just hope it does, but I have feeling it won't be until the next Superman movie or Justice League movie is released to theaters

I haven't seen those episodes since they first aired way back when. I may have to buy these dvds. Mu most vivid memory of this series is Stacy Haiduk as Lana Lang. She was the hottest Lana Lang ever!... :frusty:

here's some more news about how to get the rest of the series out on DVD

SuperboyHomepage.com has started a DVD campaign to show Warner Bros. that there is an interest for the rest of the "Superboy" TV series on DVD.

We can do that by sending letters, postcards, and even call Warner Bros and leave a message in the hopes of convincing them there is a demand for the rest of the Adventures of Superboy. I hope to get the endorsements of Ilya Salkind and Gerard Christopher in the hopes we see the rest of the series soon on DVD.

Visit the Superboy Homepage for further details on how you can get involved.

:blink: Legion of Super Heroes is being cancelled

WorldsFinestOnline.com reports that Warner Bros. Animation has decided to stop producing the "Legion of Super Heroes" animated series at the end of its current season.

Legion of Super Heroes is currently wrapping up its second season, which will also be the last season for the show. With the series no longer in production, fans can expect four more new episodes before the series comes to a close. Two new episodes will be aired over the next two weeks, but the two-part series finale has yet to be officially scheduled.

Superman fans should be able to see Superman appear in at least one episode of the up-coming new Batman team-up animated series titled "Brave and the Bold".

Whew! I thought you were talking about the comic book! I didn't even realize they had a cartoon show.

I dipped in and out of LOSH I was a bigger fan of The Batman which has also been canceled but that is a shame I haven't seen season 2 yet it hasn't been shown here yet but I am looking forward to seeing Superman X.