Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Deanna Troi

Deanna Troi first came to The Next Generation with her long hair and little mini skirt. She had a vaguely foreign accent and an exotic appeal. Along with Riker she was one half of the 'will they won't they' couple and to me appeared there as eye candy for the bridge. With his handsome First officer on one side and this beutiful young woman on the other, Picard say amidst a sumptious bridge in a pilot that heralded the arrival of the 'Next Generation' of Star Trek.

Deanna soon lost this cheer leader look and went on to don a horrific bun and brown leotard for the next series. She was to be the ship's counsellor - a nice 'girly' role - and as the whole love interest with Riker began to fade, she became a regular sight on TNG with her lttle outfits and sympathetic ear. She was to be empathic and not telepathic so she wasnt overly alien and so maybe more attractive in that respect. The out fits continued as the series went on and the hair came down. The accent softened and the character that was Deanna was soon firmly established as part and parcel of TNG.

Deanna went on like this throughout much of TNG. She was a friend of Will's and no more. She loved chocolate, had no idea what a reactor was and got possessed by evil demons or beings every once in a while. She was almost like Tawny on Galaxy Quest in that it was her hair, teeth and breasts that made her presence known on the ship with no real important purpose.

In the last season she toughened up - perhaps in time for the movies. She donned a regular uniform, took the bridge exams and became a full commander no doubt and was a little less 'bouncy' around the ship. She was still loveable eye-candy though and still the ships councellor. She had a relationship with Worf and in the alternate future ending to the series didnt have a lot to look forward to.

In the movies, her hair tones down greatly. She famously took the helm in Star Trek Generations and steered the ship into a planet. Though that wasnt her fault. She got drunk in First Contact, redated Riker in Insurrection and then married him in Nemesis. A perhaps overly late return to a plot device that was established 16 years prior, but necessadry to stoke up those movie viewing figures. She appeared in Voyager with Reg Barclay as well.

All in all, the character of Deanna couldnt be hated. How could you? She was inoffensive, nice to look at, and essential to the 'flying hotel' feel of TNG. As TNG hit the movies this pastel aerobics teacher look had to toughen up for the new military look of the show. In part, some of what was the character of Deanna was lost and something else was gained.

Well said Prometheus. I think that part of the bouncy cheerleader personality might have been established in the beginning to counteract the toughness of Tasha Yar. I liked Deanna through the whole series but my favourite Deanna episodes are ones from later in the series. I, for one, was glad when she put the uniform on in Chain of Command.

flying hotel??? B)

Very well said... Yes I wasn't to fond of the intergalactic cheer leader look either... B)

Just another pretty face? Not even! From the start I was captured by this characters ability’s, hair, clothes, being bouncy, those things meant nothing to me. I was too busy drawing comparisons to Ilia and most importantly, wondering about the implications of empathic people in OUR future. She was/is a great character and I miss her as much as any NG character but that is rambling...

She, imo, became a much better character when put in the regular uniforms and used properly as a councellor and not as a sex object. I liked watching her character grow just as I liked staring at her.

She was a bit wooden in the beginning, but as the series progressed she improved tremendously.

You could also say that about Riker.

Stardate:213441.9

I too did not like her in the beginning.As a matter of fact I didnt start liking Deanna until about the 5th season.Riker on the other hand i liked his character from day one

I didn't like that Samurai hairdue either. I think Troi's appeal as a character is that she gives us the impression that she's soft and easy going but underneath it all is a will of iron.

I got to like her best with the episode when she's kidnapped on the Romulan ship.

I'm just sad that all the episode that was around her had to imply her mother. I like her, but well.. We didn't get the chance to get to know Deanna in situation when she had to be the "hero". Except, of course, in that episode.

But, the same is true with Geordi too. We didn't get a episode of him being a hero without his "Visor" being a main element.

I think Deanna would have been a lot more interesting if they had let Marina Sirtis's personality in more. I personally think she's a pretty boring character.

I have to agree with everybody else I thought that she looked alot better in the uniform it just was the creators first atempt at a cat suit a fact if you did not already know orginaly Denise crosby was going to play troi and marina sirtis was going to play yar but at the last moment Gene Roddenberry switch them

I liked Troi from the very beginning. From my other posts many of you know my feelings on Troi, so I won't bore you by repeating all of them here again. From a strictly male point of view, I liked the cheerleader look, but as a fan I agree that it had to go.

I like her much better in the movies than I did on the series. Especially when she let her hair down and had it straightened and all that good stuff. :laugh: She's always her best when she's with Barclay, I think. Especially in Voyager's Pathfinder. I think that may have been one of her best performances. Also, in books like Imzadi and The Battle of Betazed, she is portrayed a lot better.

I've liked Deanna since the beginning, especially when she got to making the films, lost a lot of weight and looks a lot better now. :)

Well said Prometheus.  I think that part of the bouncy cheerleader personality might have been established in the beginning to counteract the toughness of Tasha Yar.  I liked Deanna through the whole series but my favourite Deanna episodes are ones from later in the series.  I, for one, was glad when she put the uniform on in Chain of Command.

I don't hate her, although she sure grates my nerves at times, and she does have some great episodes. She's just nothing special, to me, and isn't particularly high on my list of favourite characters.

I sort of liked the cheerleader look.It was a throwback to TOS's female variant uniform.Am I mistaken,or was there an episode where a guy was wearing the cheerleader outfit,skirt and all in the background?

I think there were some episodes in the first or second season that showed guys wearing those strange outfits...

And the gala uniforms from the first seasons (1,2,3,4... I cant remember about following ones) also looked like skirts... really strange.... but kinda funny :unsure:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I was not a real big fan of Troi in the begining but as time went on I really started to like her a little more.

Those outfits were called skants and were designed to show how there was no differentiation between men and women's clothing in the future. The sort of 'anything goes' rule that the future man would accept.

I have to agree with everybody else I thought that she looked alot better in the uniform it just was the creators first atempt at a cat suit a fact if you did not already know orginaly Denise crosby was going to play troi and marina sirtis was going to play yar but at the last moment Gene Roddenberry switch them

Well, I think it was a good idea to switch them.

Because I do not think Tasha would of been suited as a good councelor....

it suted Deanna better.

Those outfits were called skants and were designed to show how there was no differentiation between men and women's clothing in the future. The sort of 'anything goes' rule that the future man would accept.

Oh.I didn't know that.Well,makes me real happy that I'm not a future man,just a run of the mill 21st-century barbarian. :tank:

Yeah right, Deanna really changed in the last season and for the movies. And I think for the better. She actually seems like a Starfleet officer now. I never liked the earlier Deanna, but the new Deanna is one of the best characters in Star Trek.