Sign in to follow this  
BKY1701

Romulans based on the Nazis?

Who do you think the Romulans were based on?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Romulans were based on?

• The Nazis
    • The Soviets
    • Romans & Chinese
    • Other

I was looking at pics of Nazi stuff (for a sig I was making on a different board, that said "If you kill RI Hitler won" IR being the resident SPAM topic, so you know I am not a Nazi), and seen this pic of Nazi Germany:

brandenburggate8st.th.jpg -form www.hitler.org

What Star Trek location comes to mind?

Romulus.

Also, with the Romulans stance with non-Romulans, (mostly that only Romulans are important), and the fascist-ish government, they are a lot like the Nazis.

Something I read said they were based on Russia, but all the information points to the Nazis.

The Soviets thought everyone was the same and should be treated equally, not what the Romulans do. Also the Soviets didn't build roman-ish citys.

What do you think about this?

Gene Roddenberry had originally thought of the Romulans as a cross between ancient Rome and Communist China...no mention of Nazi's at all. The eagle that the Nazi's used are a common sight throughout history, the United States has the eagle as one of their symbols, would you say that's based on Nazi ideas?

I was not talking about the eagle as much as the pillars, and overall look of that place… looks like Romulus.

And we do not truly know what he thought, just what he said he thought. It seems like there is much more connecting the Romulans to the Nazis then Communist anything.

The Romulans are sneaky, preferring to wait to see and what their enemy does. To me, that reminds me of the Chinese fighting in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars. They sent their troops in later to support their cause, just like the Romulans waited on the Dominion War and only joined because it seemed like it was in their best interest. The Nazi's just send in the SS and SA stormtroopers whenever they want to take an area, not much tact.

The Romulans are sneaky, preferring to wait to see and what their enemy does.  To me, that reminds me of the Chinese fighting in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars.  They sent their troops in later to support their cause, just like the Romulans waited on the Dominion War and only joined because it seemed like it was in their best interest.  The Nazi's just send in the SS and SA stormtroopers whenever they want to take an area, not much tact.

303239[/snapback]

That does seem a bit more like them.

eagle9kc.th.jpg

Looks like the new Nemesis Romulan emblem.

Ignoring that the emblem is a bird at all, this:

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/2109/eagle0uy.gif

Is indisputably what the TNG Romulan emblem was based on.

Edited by BKY1701

It seems that you're locked into thinking the Romulans are the Nazi's, and now there's no arguing with you. Believe what you want, but Roddenberry based them on the Romans and the Chinese. Shinzon means heart in Mandarin Chinese, btw.

Believe what you want, but Roddenberry based them on the Romans and the Chinese.  Shinzon means heart in Mandarin Chinese, btw.

303247[/snapback]

That was my understanding as well.

I've added that option and an "other" option to the poll.

I've always thought the Romulans were based on the Roman Empire. I meam you can just look at the recent scenes of the Romulan home world and see that the have buildings the resemble ancient Roman stuctures.

They are connected big time to the Romans… I just thought that they may be connected to the Nazi's (or at lest part of the plan was for them to seem like that).

When I think of the Romulans.. I can pretty much think of only the Roman Empire.

Even the names of their homeworlds are based on Roman myth. Romulus(AKA Quirinius) and his twin brother Remus.... and them getting in on war only seems reminicent of the origins of said mythological twins... Their father was the war god, Mars.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

The Nazis were inspired by Italian Fascism (the term fascist comes from the fasces, a bundle of rods bound around an ax. It was the symbol of the authority of a Roman magistrate and was used by the Italian fascist)

Its no surprise that you would find parallels between Nazis and Romulan architecture and symbology, they were both inspired by the Romans.

There are also many such similarities between the Romans and the United States because of the influence of the Roman republic.

and as to the Romulan government, I see far great similarities with democratic republics than either Fascism or Communism, but thats just my opinion.

I've included some examples of Roman, nazis, and Romulan symbols. (note: the Romulan symbol during TOS lacked the raptor symbol.

The top two photos are of ancient Roman standards, the drawing between them is of the TOS Romulan symbol, and below is the Romulan and Nazi symbol. (I also included a photo reference for the TOS symbol)

post-762-1108426903.jpg

Edited by welfconfed

I've always thought the Romulans were based on the Roman Empire. I meam you can just look at the recent scenes of the Romulan home world and see that the have buildings the resemble ancient Roman stuctures.

303271[/snapback]

Off topic, can you (or someone else) point me to a site that has pics of the new Romulus? I have been looking.

I believe the Cardassians are the Nazi equivalent in Star Trek. Occupations, death camps, etc.

303413[/snapback]

Quite true and their actions are much more like the Nazis than that of the Romulans.

Just a thought, isn't there a thread around here that tries to match all of the trek races with their real world inspirations?

Just a thought, isn't there a thread around here that tries to match all of the trek races with their real world inspirations?

303576[/snapback]

Yes there is but it's been so long since that thread was front and center I have no idea what key words to use in finding it. I'll try though...

Found it.

As mentioned before, Gene Roddenberry created the Romulins to represent the Chinese. The Klingons represented the Russians. remember when Star Trek first came on the cold war was alive and well and going strong.

303271[/snapback]

*nods* Romulus was also the name of the mythological dude who founded Rome. He had a brother named Remus who also founded a city, but the Romans conquered it. I say that they're based on the Romans.

*nods*  Romulus was also the name of the mythological dude who founded Rome.

303644[/snapback]

He was mythological? I thought he was real…

*nods*  Romulus was also the name of the mythological dude who founded Rome.

303644[/snapback]

He was mythological? I thought he was real…

303699[/snapback]

Well.. I actually am not so sure if he was actually a real figure. I could run a search on Roman rulers and find out though (probably as easily as anyone here though). But for the basics.. he does appear in Greek/Roman myth.

Encyclopedia Mythica article on Romulus

And sadly at the site not too much on Remus

E. M. article on Remus

Here is another article..

Romulus and Remus

also these are pretty good..

Romulus

Remus

in the case of these last two articles.. a lot of the article is similar because after all they are twins and their stories were intertwined until a certain point.

303576[/snapback]

Yes there is but it's been so long since that thread was front and center I have no idea what key words to use in finding it. I'll try though...

Found it.

303580[/snapback]

Hey, that was the post I started! Morale boost for me! Ok, let's all get back to work around here.