Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Star Trek VI Question

I was looking at the closing credits listed for STVI: The Undiscovered Country when I noticed the very, very last character named was "Crewman Dax" (male). I've never seen the movie but I was curious when I saw the name. Is this just a coincidence or is there any history of DS9's Dax being there - I have no idea what host that would be. Just curious.

Its a different Dax. The Dax in the movie was the one that had the wierd feet.

startreksix102.jpeg

This is the only image I could find of him.

He's mentioned in the encyclopedia but there's no relation. They must have liked the name when creating DS9. Snappy.

I would have liked Valeris to have turned out to have been a Romulan spy. Wouldnt you? Or is that just too corny?

The character in the movie was not Trill. It had no relation to the DS9 Dax.

I know that TNG featured a Trill who looked different to the other Trills (he had no spots on his skin and ridges on his forehead) and he couldn't use the transporter, but that's just an example of something in Trek that is to be ignored in favour of the Trills seen on DS9.

I know that TNG featured a Trill who looked different to the other Trills (he had no spots on his skin and ridges on his forehead) and he couldn't use the transporter, but that's just an example of something in Trek that is to be ignored in favour of the Trills seen on DS9.

302298[/snapback]

The official explanation is there are more than one race of Trill. Nothing needs to be ignored.

And thanks to everyone for answering my question.

Odie had the correct picture of that Crewman(Dax)from ST VI:TUC.

============================================

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

sidenote saw the Film the Grudge was a bit creepy and alittle scary but more strange a film ("unfortuenetly there is talk of a sequel")not going to see the sequel or buy the DVD of the film waste of talent for Cutie Jason Behr in that film

my POV mind you.

The official explanation is there are more than one race of Trill. Nothing needs to be ignored.

Actually, the difference in appearance and the aversion to the transporter is officially explained as being "one of those things we'd hope you'd forget about" as explained in the official ST: Encyclopedia.

The fact that no other Trill since has appeared to look like Odan pretty much confirmed that the Trill seen with the skin markings like Jadzia are now the "official" Trill.

Things like that occur in Trek from time to time and are best ignored.

Edited by The King

I don't think that it would really be a different race as even the symbiot looked and acted differently inside the host.

Actually, the difference in appearance and the aversion to the transporter is officially explained as being "one of those things we'd hope you'd forget about" as explained in the official ST: Encyclopedia.

302323[/snapback]

From st.com:

Among the humanoid Trill joined species, apparently at least two races of hosts are used to house a symbiont: those of the ridged forehead, like Odan, and those like Jadzia, Curzon and Selin, with a narrow speckled band running along the hairline to the sides of the neck, then down along the body.

The ST Encyclopedia is an official book but it is not canon.

It was probably a concept that they decided to drop when the Trill were fleshed out for DS9.

302344[/snapback]

Actually a number of scenes of The Emissary had to be re-shot because they decided to go with the change of make-up. The original was felt to be too heavy. I believe Terry Farrell's looks had something to do with it as well as I read somewhere they decided she was too good looking to cover up with all the make-up.

Different Dax as has been mentioned before. I think you should watch the movie, you would probably enjoy it. It's a good movie.

I have to agree with the people at Ex Astris Scientifica, when they say that it would have been so much easier if the DS9 creators had simply came up with a new name for Jadzia's race. That eliminates most continuity issues.