Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

What Would Have Made It Better?

:rolleyes: Voyager was obviously a very controversial Star Trek series. Although I loved the series; many Trek fans do not consider it one of their favorite series. Even here on this web site, it is the lowest rated forum. I'm trying to understand why Voyager gets the criticisim it does, and in the eyes of those who find fault, what in your opinion would have made it better? :rolleyes:

Imo the series only delivered on one story arc; getting the ship home. It is going to take thirty years for authors to write enough stories to fill in all of the gaps they left hanging. Still, I think I have decided to buy the DVD’s, I'm such a fool for Trek! :rolleyes:

It's not that I didn't like it, just that I liked TNG, DS9 and like ENT better. However, I've always stated that my favorite Voyager episodes are just as good as any other series.

The reasons for this I'm not too sure. One reason might be that it took them awhile to come up with strong new aliens (i.e. the Hirogen)

I think Voyager was perfect just as it was. It had very believable characters who grew on you, fun and often times dangerous adventures that left you gripping your armrests, and an awesome captain who was a genius mixture of Kirk and Picard. What more could you want? Sure, Voyager may have lacked some things that other series had, and perhaps those things in the other series are what drew people to them. They didn't like Voyager because those elements were missing. But Voyager, in turn, had some things that other series lacked, which is what draws other people to it. Each series is different, and those differences produce differences in opinion among the fans. It's a good thing they're all different, too. Could you imagine if they were all the same? Don't judge the show on general opinion. Judge the show on the value it holds for you.

mostly i didnt like janeway, as a captain, as member of the crew, she just didnt do it for me at all. i think as a captain stuck in another quadrant seventy years from home, she was way to arrogant, and not concerned enough with the welfare of her crew, over the welfare of the primedirective. she, as captain, should've done anything, and everything in her power to get her crew home. the show in general was too hokey even for trek. there were some stories that were good, but for the most part not to good. IMO. so first in my book, they needed a new captain, then a new cheif engineer, b'lena (check spelling), she's really gotta go too, neelix really left some to be desired, getting rid of kes was a good start. the doctor was cool, so wasnt chekotay, paris was ok, harry wasnt bad. lose the ones i mentioned, a few plot, and story changes, and then it would've been better. think about it, if there really was a situation like that, and a captain like that, there would've been one hell of a mutany right after she trapped them in the delta quadrant by blowing up the array that brought them there. even for trek it was way too unbeleivable to happen that way.

respectfully, voyager was awesome i dont know what the heck your talkin about......next to TNG, voyager was the most entertaining television series i have ever watched...

respectfully, voyager was awesome i dont know what the heck your talkin about......next to TNG, voyager was the most entertaining television series i have ever watched...

For me Voyager was awsome too. My question relates to what I hear from most of the Trek fans I know; from comments I've read on startrek.com; and from what I've noticed here on this web site. :idea:

mmmmm..I just couldn't find myself interested in their plight to get home until I heard it was their last season! Then I started paying attention..whereas I had to watch every TNG and DS9 ep..I could easily not watched Voyager..there was so much friction on that crew..made me uneasy.

I loved Voyager! it's the best, but it would of been better if Seven didn't get so much screen time and if the writers put in the obvious Janeway/Chackotay romance. And more P/T flirting!

Imo the series only delivered on one story arc; getting the ship home. It is going to take thirty years for authors to write enough stories to fill in all of the gaps they left hanging. Still, I think I have decided to buy the DVD’s, I'm such a fool for Trek! :lol:

:rolleyes:This is true, to many holes. Maybe we could help fill them in.

:P ;)I've watched them all. Voyager is my favorite out of all. :) ;) :)

Hey, I'd just like to thank everyone who responded. It has helped me to better understand some of the issues. :dude:

Stardate:213438.9

First I thought Voyager was a very good show.It was nice to see a show go with something completely different.I liked that they had to survive on thier own without the rest of the federation.As far as Janeway following the prime directive, they were so far from Federation Space i think that some times the rules can be bent more than normal

Vayager was a good show but we can't delude ourselves that it was perfect. Every thing has room for improvement and for each of us, what that is is a very subjective matter. For me, I thought there was a need fror more of an edge. Everyone was 'too good' friends. They all had it too easy if you asked me. I loved Yar of Hell. By far the most outstanding story line for me. A darker more troubled Voyager would have given a lot more room for dramam and emotion. I never lauged or cried during Voyager. By the end of each episode I knew that the carpets would be hoovered, the rails polished and Voyager would warp off with a big grin on it's face. Ok there was the seldom episode where something was a miss, but even then this was washed over. There were continuity issues as well. I would have loved to have seen the Equinox crew members again. Or that Bajoran they liberated from the mini-Borg collective. Whatever happened them? They became background characters. The background characters themselves became furniture. There wasnt a close nit thing going on as should have been in such a small ship. The Enterprise D was bigger and would have had transfers. This ship had a 'clique' who had all the fun while everyone else had to make do. Neelix and the Captain and their little meetings and all. Not real enough for me. Anyway, that is what ME MYSELF AND I think needed to be done. More characters, more emotion, a bigger picture. Apart from all that, it made a good enough series but neither surprised or excited me. And you may start going on at me as much as yyou want and stamp your feet cos you love it, but i'm only saying my thoughts.

what in your opinion would have made it better? B)

Kes coming back in every season finale to hug Janeway B) LOL!

I think Voyager was perfect just as it was.  It had very believable characters who grew on you, fun and often times dangerous adventures that left you gripping your armrests, and an awesome captain who was a genius mixture of Kirk and Picard.  What more could you want?  Sure, Voyager may have lacked some things that other series had, and perhaps those things in the other series are what drew people to them.  They didn't like Voyager because those elements were missing.  But Voyager, in turn, had some things that other series lacked, which is what draws other people to it.  Each series is different, and those differences produce differences in opinion among the fans.  It's a good thing they're all different, too.  Could you imagine if they were all the same?  Don't judge the show on general opinion.  Judge the show on the value it holds for you.

My thoughts exactly. Voyager was great ! :waaaa:

1. Kes being a recurring character instead of guest starring in 3 episodes. (the first 2 were the beginning of season 4)

2. Janeway/Chakotay in the series finale.

3. More Chakotay & Harry.

4. No catsuit for Seven after her first 5 or so episodes.

5. Seeing Tom, B'Elanna, & Miral in sickbay in the finale.

That's all I'd change. :waaaa:

I would have like to have seen a longer story arc but with the order they were shown didnt allow this to happen and we were left with a very episodic series