Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Star Trek's future

The fate of the franchise  

65 members have voted

1. 1. The fate of the franchise

• The franchise has shattered beyond help. Star Trek is over.
    • Enterprise has soured people on series, but Star Trek will continue in movies.
    • They'll make a new series in the future, but there will be a massive change in staff.
    • They'll learn from their mistakes, keep the same people and move on with another series.
    • Enterprise was a great show and should have been continued

I think they'll move on, but this definetly gonna cost some people their jobs, some unfairly. I think they should wait a few years before they make another series, it'll give people a chance to forget Enterprise. Or they could make a movie instead of a series next.

Although several people will probably lose their jobs :nono: , I think that Trek will continue with either a TV Movie or series within 2 - 3 years. Maybe even a theatrical movie. I don't think Trek will be gone for long. <_<

I have an excellent long-term plan to get Star Trek back on track but it's too extensive in size to post here and cutting it down as a summary wouldn't be doing it justice. Anyway, I want to see what Paramount can come up with first.

But if I (a humble fan) can come up with a reasoned plan for Trek's future, I'm sure the powers at Paramount can do the same, and besides, they get paid to do that.

<_< :b-day::nono:

Edited by The King

I think the franchise is far from dead but it does need a bit of a break- like about a year or so. I think that the exec producers need to listen to the fans and deliver what WE want- not what the studio THINKS THEY want!

I'll admit that I didn't get to see the final season of Enterprise, but I hear it was a lot better than the third one. My only issue with the series is while making a prequel, they were trying to TNG-fy it too much with too many obvious homages to TNG. When I heard the old Defiant is coming back, I knew the series was coming around...

When ST makes it's TV / Movie comeback, see a big change in staff. Until then, it'll be up to the Internet and the fan fiction/film people to keep the spirit alive. I know I'll hold up my end of that deal... <_<

I voted they would learn from their mistakes and keep the same staff and move on....mainly because this is how the world works..the top (B&<_< will not be held accountable for mistakes...they can do no wrong....won't fire themselves....it's like when Coke came up with New Coke...but then couldn't admit they had made a mistake...they just quietly faded it out.

This is unfair and I will not stand for it. I do think Star Trek will go on, but it will be many years and by then it might loss a great fan base. And it was just getting good in season 4.

It won't lose it's fan base.

In five years you'll be DESPERATE for more Trek.

And that's the whole point.

But don't get me wrong, if Berman and Braga are still there in five years and a new Star Trek project fails, then the franchise will be in even worse state than it is now.

Edited by The King

I am sorry to those who believe that Enterprise was good but you are wrong. There was little character development and even less character interaction. Aside from a few good episodes, the overall quality was mediocre at best. Star Trek is not dead, but it will need a major staff overhual to come back from this.

:b-day: They'll make more movies, but unless Paramount starts to "get" what Star Trek really is to the fans, those movies will suck (Nemesis, Insurrection anyone?) and the franchise will sink even lower.

They'd be better off waiting a few years and giving some very considered thought to the direction they want to go with Star Trek.

I agree with the TNG-ifying quote above. If Enterprise is supposedly set in a time prior to TOS, then why does it have such a TNG feel and look to it? Dumb. And you know that they can recreate and pay homage to TOS ... there are folks who have the talent to go retro convincingly. If they had to do a prequel series, why not look to the folks who did "Trials and Tribbleations" for DS9. You DS9 haters must at least have seen that particular episode ... no one can argue with how well that was pulled off.

<_< They need to do a massive overhaul of the staff in charge of ST from the top down. And why not do a nationwide/worldwide search for some talented writer/director type who is actually a fan of the series as a whole and not just TNG? I mean, look at Peter Jackson ... who would have thought prior to the LOTR series that he could have created that? All the love he felt for that trilogy of books just poured onto the screen ... you know that there are folks out there who feel that way about Trek.

FIND THEM, Paramount! :nono:

I think the franchise is far from dead but it does need a bit of a break- like about a year or so. I think that the exec producers need to listen to the fans and deliver what WE want- not what the studio THINKS THEY want!

agree

I am sorry to those who believe that Enterprise was good but you are wrong.

300297[/snapback]

You are entitled to your opinion but I would thank you not to tell others theirs is wrong. A person's opinion is his/her own and it is up to the individual to decide what he/she likes and dislikes.

IMO, it is a great series that deserves my support and I am willing to do whatever I can to keep it in production.

As far as I have been taught in my college course; the one key skill a film maker/ script writer must always have in mind is the audience, what the audience always sees. It's not actually them sitting in front of TV sets every night at the screen like this <_< :nono::nono::b-day: everytime the theme tune comes on. It is us, and it is up to them to realise that. People don't deserve to loose there jobs and if they actually bothered to listen to us, they would get alot of money out of this.

As a multimedia student myself I'm also talking on behalf of them as well us fans. Let's save Star Trek!!!!!!!!!

I think the franchise has definately been damaged and am a little concerned about the future of Star Trek. We need a few years off and hopefully we can get a new TNG/DS9 type series.

I have an excellent long-term plan to get Star Trek back on track but it's too extensive in size to post here and cutting it down as a summary wouldn't be doing it justice. Anyway, I want to see what Paramount can come up with first.

But if I (a humble fan) can come up with a reasoned plan for Trek's future, I'm sure the powers at Paramount can do the same, and besides, they get paid to do that.

:)  :look:  :laugh: 

300231[/snapback]

I would be most interested to hear your plan The King. I don't see where Star Trek can go from here and would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Enterprise is a great show and should have been continued!!!!!!!

I would be most interested to hear your plan The King. I don't see where Star Trek can go from here and would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I'll post it in a few weeks.

Right now, people are still depressed over the cancellation of ENT, so whatever I post would be shot down in flames regardless of its content. Many of these "pro-ENT" people are concentrating on this "saving ENT" campaign, so I'll wait until that dies down and fades out.

That being said, even if, when I do post it, people don't like it, at least they are some new ideas and that's what the franchise really needs right now. New ideas, fresh approaches and some creative pitching.

Edited by The King

I want Enterprise to continue. The season was just getting good and they decide to cancel the show. :laugh:

A few minutes ago I did sign the Enterprise Petition. All any of us can do now is wait.

They'll make a new series in the future, but there will be a massive change in staff

THIS is the key point.

I'm glad the person who created this thread/poll offered this as an option, because this is what MUST be done.

:laugh:

Enterprise was a great prequel show and should've continued to at least year 7 then certainly needs a few years break maybe 3 or 4 years ("Fresh Minds new ideas")to get the Franchise Rejeuvenated.

:laugh::look: :) :)

I think it's safe to say there WILL be a new Star Trek; no one will end it after what happened LAST time they cancelled it all.

Something I think that may get it going is if they made a Star Trek purely about a different Star Trek race. Even DS9 was still Starfleet. It would be nice if it was about the Romulans, or bettor, their Tal Shiar.

I think it's safe to say there WILL be a new Star Trek; no one will end it after what happened LAST time they cancelled it all.

Something I think that may get it going is if they made a Star Trek purely about a different Star Trek race. Even DS9 was still Starfleet. It would be nice if it was about the Romulans, or bettor, their Tal Shiar.

300653[/snapback]

yeah, according to my director's edition the motion picture dvd it says star trek was completely cancelled once......... :laugh:

While I think Eneprise did sour people on the series, They'll make a new series in the future, but there will be a massive change in staff.

I know non-trekkies who love TNG, but absolutely hate ENT. I think there's a gap between the old and the new trekkies. My uncle, a trekkie, does not watch ENT. He absolutely hates it. He hates the producers and Paramount for it. I think this new blood that B&B wanted removed some older fans unfortunately.

They'll make a new series in the future, but there will be a massive change in staff

THIS is the key point.

I'm glad the person who created this thread/poll offered this as an option, because this is what MUST be done.

:)

300595[/snapback]

Well, thank you King :)

There may have been too many options on this poll for the anti-Enterprise folks to choose from, with only one option for pro-Enterprise folks to settle on. It may be skewing the results, giving the appearance that a decisive majority of voters think ENT was a great show and should continue, when in fact the poll shows the voters evenly split. So 50% of us believe the ENT was flawed/stunk/was a mistake and 50% of us think it was a good show.

Of course, this is thus far in the voting. Things could change overnight!

There may have been too many options on this poll for the anti-Enterprise folks to choose from, with only one option for pro-Enterprise folks to settle on.  It may be skewing the results, giving the appearance that a decisive majority of voters think ENT was a great show and should continue, when in fact the poll shows the voters evenly split.  So 50% of us believe the ENT was flawed/stunk/was a mistake and 50% of us think it was a good show.

Of course, this is thus far in the voting.  Things could change overnight!

302072[/snapback]

Actually it appears that only 5 poll-voters thought badly of the show - the first option reflects that and the second is similar. The third and fourth options do not say anything about dislike for ENT. Rather, those options are for the people who just don't think ENT is coming back. Some of the options seem to overlap a little. Somehow, this things says I've voted already even though I haven't :bow: . If I were to vote, though, I'd be torn between options 4 and 5. Both are true to me, butI wont give up on the SaveENT efforts just yet.