Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

How Much Do You Think The Doctor Weighs?

Isn't a hologram just a computer program ? I wouldn't expect a hologram to weigh anything at all..Then again a hologram is simulating a human being..So I guess it could weigh as much as a person..Wow, which answer is right? I tend to believe that a hologram is just a computer program and doesn't weigh anything...

a hologram wouldnt weigh anything because its pretty much just Light and shadows...except for when he touches someone, and then hes a mini-tractor beam kinda dealy. So, no, he doesnt Weigh anything.

i love the 'mini tractor beam kinda dealy' - so, like when he touches someone, his holo-make-up would have to 'simulate' weight, and to the degree necessary to simulate a proper weight - makes you wonder how they'd keep a whole holodeck working...

how many holograms does it take to screw in a light bulb...

:clap:

Edited by joeybear

Th only thing that would give the doctor some wieght would be his mobile emitter so he'd a weigh a couple of pounds but that's it.

Well...Holograms Would Have To Weigh Something For The Programs Ran To Be Realistic...Although I Believe Data Said "Much Of It Is Real." Meaning It Was Replicated...But Umm..Ok...I Was Going Somewhere With This....Someone Help Me,lol

Well it'd be a good trivia question for when they start up again.

304110[/snapback]

Yeah, but how would I find out the correct answer? :P :waaaa:

304110[/snapback]

Yeah, but how would I find out the correct answer? :P :waaaa:

304135[/snapback]

It could be one of the questions in the chat session, where everybody who responses gets a point.

304110[/snapback]

Yeah, but how would I find out the correct answer? :yahoo::yahoo:

304135[/snapback]

It could be one of the questions in the chat session, where everybody who responses gets a point.

304139[/snapback]

The answer would be: unknown.

Imo it would depend on how much of him at the time of weighing is replicated matter or not and an understanding of what exactly the "matter" used to construct him is. Once we know what his replicated parts are made of and how much of his present body is using replimatter then we could begin to work out his weight.

So my answer is if no part of him is using replimatter then he only weighs whatever the atomic weight of the photons used to project his image is but if any part or all of him is using replimatter then his weight would vary depending on what the matter is & how much matter is present.

His program acts like a holodeck with the safeties off if he needs to use force or apply pressure. but generally, he's weightless.

how many holograms does it take to screw in a light bulb...

:yahoo:

301080[/snapback]

It depends on how small the holograms are to fit inside the light bulb.

He should not weigh anything, even when in "simulated mass" mode, since a holo-emitter is not capable of producing actual matter (save for the little bit of matter that are in photons and whatnot). His mobile emitter I would guess weighs no more than an iPod or something like that.

In theory he shouldn't even cast a shadow, unless the designer wanted to make him appear more real and programmed this in.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

His program acts like a holodeck with the safeties off if he needs to use force or apply pressure. but generally, he's weightless.

304973[/snapback]

As the Doctor is photonic, and photons have no mass, the Doctor technically weighs nothing.  I doubt the emitter weighs more than a few grams.  It's the FUTURE after all!

317312[/snapback]

well, you see the wrongness of your logic... If he weighed nothing, why wouldn't he be floating around? Obviously, he weighs something(even a few pounds), or my tractor-beamy-dealy-bob is the true theory, and he weighs nothing and the only thing that is keeping him on the ground is... a tractor beam... which is also emitted from his Emitter. So, as you can see, my theory is right... As you can see.<---Period, end of discusssion..

Click For Spoiler
This wasn't a serious post, well, some of it was, but i wasn't really trying to be serious

A hologram can be projected as standing on the wall if you want, they're not subject to the normal laws of gravity. If the projector places him on the ground, his weight is irrelevant---he will appear to be on the ground.

he weighs as much as a dream.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

least he never has to be told, you are putting on to much, you need to lose some.

When the doctor is in a Holographically enabled area (sick bay, holodeck) he weighs nothing because he is merely a projected light source, when he travels with his holo emitter, he weighs the weight of the holo emitter, but only in the sense that is uses micro-tractor beams to sustain it's position in the air.

lets add some definitions here:

Mobile emitter

Episode: VOY 151 - Future's End, Part II

A portable holographic imaging device used by Voyager's EMH to access areas without holographic projectors.

Henry Starling constructed the mobile emitter from 29th-century technology he appropriated from Braxton's timeship.

so the we reference holodecks, to understand holographic technology.

Holodeck

Episode: TNG 101 - Encounter at Farpoint, Part I

The generic name, especially in use aboard Federation starships, for the "smart" virtual reality system as evolved by the 2360s — a technology that combines transporter, replicator, and holographic systems.

The programs, projected via emitters within a specially outfitted but otherwise empty room, can create both "solid" props and characters as well as holographic background to evoke any vista, any scenario, and any personality — all based on whatever real or fictional parameters are programmed.

While personal holoprograms relieve the stress and isolation of shipboard life for crew personnel, Holodecks are also used for tasks ranging from scientific simualtion to tactical or even covert training. Off starships, many commercial users have equipped facilities with so-called Holosuites.

From this we gather that Holo-technology is either a a "prop" something you touch, or something non-tangible (the horizon maybe?) so as you interact with some thing it alters from being a non-tangible lightsource and becomes a "prop"

I've read far more into holographic technology but I can't seem to find the resource on the Startrek website, so let me suffice it to provide this definition:

Things in a holographic enviroment have simulated weight and texture through the use of many many highly specilized tractor beams, but until you actually touch something it is merely eye candy and isn't real, nothing in a holographic enviroment has any weight, ever... the effect of weight is simulated through tractor beams.

Thusly, the doctor weighs nothing except his mobile emitter, which seems (by the way it is tossed) to weigh no more then few ounces.

Edited by Capt.Vash

:)

I like me some 'treknology.

I remember reading the holographic information out of a certified treknology guide somewhere, and it was a book not online, I just wish I could remember the source so I could add it's detailed explanations to the defining answer...

Other then that, :rolleyes: thank you for the praise.

The doctor has to have some mass to be able move objects that are not holomatter around in sickbay and outside of sickbay.

I would think the Doctor would weigh as much as he is programmed to weigh (did that make sense?) but it would depend on how he has his program set. When he is "solid" he would weigh what Dr. Zimmerman weighed at the time the program was created and when he isn't "solid", he would have no weight because he has no mass.

My post reminds me of that saying that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bull... LOL