Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrystal

'What To Do With All The Bodies'

I thought this might be fun. As a teenager, I worked some really crappy jobs. Upon occasion to survive work conditions from heck we would use our imaginations in getting rid of annoying customers, rotten tippers, and touchy feelly old gross people that would come in to do just that. The true is I could and would never hurt anyone but it was fun and funny the things my co-workers would come up with. :spock:

I still do that! Some of us would try to imagine ways to entice really bad customers into the stockroom so we could stuff them in the bailer. :laugh: We would also imagine new and creative uses for new tools and sporting equipment. :lol: All in good fun, of course. :spock:

Years ago, I had a job working in the kitchen of an arena. I will never forget my first day. The arena had its grand opening and then was empty for 2 weeks before the next home game of the facilities' major tenant (a NHL team) while they finished up some of the final detail construction.

When some staff had gone through the concession stands, they discovered some hotdogs had been left there after the first game instead of being brought back to the kitchen. I am not lying when I tell you I spent my first day pulling weiners from mushy buns and inspecting them. If they were green, I threw them out. If not, I put them in a new bun, wrapped it back up and they were sent back to the concession stands to be sold at the game that night. I was actually sent home early because my supervisors were concerned. They said I was turning green. Before that day, I loved hotdogs. After that day, it was almost 6 years before I ate one again. I still don't like them the way I used to.

I worked in that kitchen for a couple of weeks before they reorganized things and I started working in the concession stands. I only stayed for one season.

On the good side, I was able to get lots of great autographs and watch practices during my breaks.

I've only had (still have) one job, and rarely the customers are good enough to like but otherwise I just dislike the bunch. When we get only one movie of a complete rent-out we suggest a fight to the death, the winner gets the movie. But I come up with more creative fight methods, like each fighter gets a bag of M & Ms and they have to destroy the other fighter with only that.

Hmm... I used to work in a restaurant and at times we were very tempted to dunk an obnoxious customer in the deep fryer! :laugh:

I've also been tempted at my current job a couple times to place misbehaving children in a box and ship them to Timbuktu. Never did it though... shipping to Timbuktu is not cheap! :spock:

Like the rest of you, I'd never hurt anyone... but it's a good release sometimes to come up with these things in your head.

When I used to work at Subway before joining the Navy. There was regular customer that got on my nerve. One cold winter night I just got back from making my delivery to the other restaurant and there she was. She complain that he sandwich wasn't made "just right" Well, unfortunately I was in a very bad mood at that time. Without thinking I told the customer off and said we where trying to do our best to satisfy all our customer's needs. It was a hockey night and restaurant was very busy. To say at the least she was no longer a regular customer. The funny thing is that I didn't lose my job and I also got a pay raise. :spock:

Edited by Odie

She complain that he sandwich wasn't made "just right"

Let me guess, the pickles weren't evenly spaced or some other asinine thing? :spock:

I don't miss the food service industry at all! :laugh:

I normally post my more nutso encounters with customers in my personal log. One of my former bosses had these words of wisdom, "We are in the business of serving customers, not being abused by them!" :lol:

The job that I have now is probably one of the worst that I have had in my life. I deal with customer's over the phone, and let me tell you when they are on the phone instead of in person they take on a whole new level of ingratitude and blustering. I used to work in a restaurant and believe it or not I loved it, I would still be there but I was not making enough money to survive.

I've never actually had a job. B) It's not like I don't want one, cos I'd be willing to do mundane work, it's that I haven't really gone out to look. Besides, I don't really want it to interfere with my education - this year's pretty important.

When I was in High School, I worked at Domino's Pizza. <Almost like a family business in my family, my two little brothers and my little sister work at the same store I worked at.> During my last summer, they let me run shifts, training me to be a manager and stuff. So one night, a Friday night, My boss wanted to see how good a manager I really was. She scheduled herself as closing driver, and me as closing manager. Well, it got busy. Gary, who had just started working there as a CSR (Customer Service Rep) was the only one on phones that night. One customer, who ordered about once every two weeks, got upset because he kept getting put on hold. the first time he called, he was on line 5, meaning he was the 5th person in succession to call the store. Gary put him on hold, and continued doing things the proper way, taking care of customers in the order they call. Well, since Gary had 4 other lines to get to, he was a while in getting to this guy. THis customer hung up and called back. By that time, Gary had cleared two lines, and again the person was the 5th in line. this went around about three times before Gary FINALLY got to him. So, Gary picks up the phone, does the spiel CSRs are supposed to do. (If you've ever ordered from Domino's, you know it. "Thanks for choosing Domino's Pizza in so-and-so, where we LOVE our customers, My name is So-and-so, How may I help you.") well, the guy went off on Gary on the phone. he was irate. started swearing and stuff, then hung up, saying he'd call Papa John's. Whatever. Well, about 10 minutes later, the guy comes into the store. Being the Manager on Duty, I was taking Carryouts. I asked him how I could help him. He asked to speak to Gary. Gary was doing labels, so he turned around and said "Yeah, what can I get you, sir?" the guy went on another tirade. Swearing enough to make a sailor blush (I still blush thinking about it.) Realising what was going on, I stepped in. I told him I'm the Manager, and if he has a complaint about an employee, he needs to talk to me. He told me to Shove it. (in front of carryout customers with a small child, no less). At that point, I came around the counter, and told him, "Sir, if you have an issue with my employees, you can discuss it with me, and me alone, and I will handle the issue. You have absolutely zero right to use profane language towards one of my employees. Now, you have two choices, sir. You can leave now, or I can have the police remove you." he left, but he said "I'm never ordering from here anymore." To which, I said as I held the door for him, is "Fine with me. I hear the guys at Papa Johns don't mind getting sworn at."

what is it with people who're being served? like, get off the soap box, mate...

i have to agree with DD - CSRing on the phone is the pits, 'cause customers think an earpiece an' mic are free-reign on rudeness...

got to one up ya, though - try 'tele-marketing' - i spent three days one summer, doing my best to pretend my name was 'lorn' and that magazine bundles were the way to go - after two days of being told to F-O, by various anonymous 'cold-calls', i started responding in kind - little did i know the manager had a mic in the call room - when he took me to task, on the third day, i promptly told him to F-O, as well, and walked out...

and they say a big mouth gets you nowhere... :)

Edited by joeybear

Both my former and current jobs have some low points to them...

When I taught, I loved all my classes... I truly did. But when you have about 15 to 20 toddlers with you in a gymnasium, and you have to try to teach a gymnastics class there is bound to be some sort of mayhem. No matter how wonderful the kids are or how skilled a teacher you are. Especially when they all decide to pile onto you when you sit down with them to play a game... and then of course somebody has a little bathroom accident, then another has one while running around, and a couple more think it is ok to choke the teacher by grabbing the collar of your t-shirt and yanks it as hard as they can, and one or two need to blow their nose and decide to use same said t-shirt while you are wearing it. I still have my sanity, and people who I worked with were amazed by that :(

Then my current job....well there are a couple of co-workers my best friend and I can do without :( Not to mention a bunch of customers I would love to kick the butts of! Just because they tend to get all high and mighty because they are the customers and you are the one having to serve them. On more than one occasion I would have to step away from my register, and I tell the customer "One moment please". Well they just do NOT wanna hear that so they continue placing your order. I repeat myself, and so do they. then I go "I am sorry, I am away from my keyboard right now please excuse me" And they continue once again. Then I click the headset so they cannot hear me and loudly say(at least so my friend and sometimes my mom can hear) "One moment please is code for Shut the heck up before I throw something at you :) :) :) !!!!!!!" I try being so patient, but eight hours of dealing with similar situations...or some that are even WORSE, can grate on the most gentle and patient people.

what is it with people who're being served? like, get off the soap box, mate...

i have to agree with DD - CSRing on the phone is the pits, 'cause customers think an earpiece an' mic are free-reign on rudeness...

got to one up ya, though - try 'tele-marketing' - i spent three days one summer, doing my best to pretend my name was 'lorn' and that magazine bundles were the way to go - after two days of being told to F-O, by various anonymous 'cold-calls', i started responding in kind - little did i know the manager had a mic in the call room - when he took me to task, on the third day, i promptly told him to F-O, as well, and walked out...

and they say a big mouth gets you nowhere... :lol:

298959[/snapback]

Ever heard the Johnny Paycheck song "Take this Job and Shove it"?

I tell ya, when that guy left, I was hoping he'd swing at me...I wanted to whoop his behind, but I couldn't unless he threw the first punch.

Ever heard the Johnny Paycheck song "Take this Job and Shove it"?

I have not heard it.. but for a little while now, I have been tempted to say that line to a couple of my bosses :biggrin:

Years ago, I had a job working in the kitchen of an arena. I will never forget my first day. The arena had its grand opening and then was empty for 2 weeks before the next home game of the facilities' major tenant (a NHL team) while they finished up some of the final detail construction.

When some staff had gone through the concession stands, they discovered some hotdogs had been left there after the first game instead of being brought back to the kitchen. I am not lying when I tell you I spent my first day pulling weiners from mushy buns and inspecting them. If they were green, I threw them out. If not, I put them in a new bun, wrapped it back up and they were sent back to the concession stands to be sold at the game that night. I was actually sent home early because my supervisors were concerned. They said I was turning green. Before that day, I loved hotdogs. After that day, it was almost 6 years before I ate one again. I still don't like them the way I used to.

I worked in that kitchen for a couple of weeks before they reorganized things and I started working in the concession stands. I only stayed for one season.

On the good side, I was able to get lots of great autographs and watch practices during my breaks.

298120[/snapback]

So, what team did you watch? :biggrin:

Oh, my - do I connect with some of these stories...But where to put the bodies? I used to mow cemetaries for a living -- I know a few places where there's a little room!

I used to be the office manager in a grocery store - complaint central. One night a customer walked up to me and started ripping on the woman in the deli about how she's stupid, has various hygiene problems I won't go into here, won't do what he wanted her to, and wanted me to speak (ie yell) at her. I apologized for the inconvenience (whether you mean the apology or not, you gotta do it), and backed it up with she was following store policy. I said I would bring up the situation to her while I was driving her home, since she was my sister, but I wouldn't repeat the personal, rude, and uncalled-for remarks. It was definitely the end of the conversation.

Now I work CS for a major credit card company, and I totally and completely agree with the others who said that rudeness goes to a new level on the phone. It's like being disembodied gives them the right to go off. Don't these people realize that I have a plethora of their personal information sitting in front of me, and could really wreak havoc with their entire lives if I were that sort of person? I have your social, your address, your mother's maiden name -- all things I need to hurt your finances. I would never in a million years do that, but it's possible. (I love the people who, when asked for some information for security purposes, say "I never gave you that." I'm looking at it! I just asked you to verify....) Just a word of advice to anyone who reads this -- just for a little piece of added security, add passwords to your credit cards............

The woman who sits next to me had a fraud perpetrator on the phone a couple of weeks ago - he couldn't figure out why he hadn't received the direct deposit he asked for -- it turned out he had opened and closed so many fraudulent accounts, he couldn't remember which was which...so his fraudulent funds didn't arrive in his fraudulent bank account because he had closed both of them. Needless to say, the fraud department took hold of that call really quickly. Gotta love caller ID...

Edited by LadyNarana