1. 1. Who do you want to win ?

• Eagles
    • Patriots

I'll go with them being world champs in American Football

301332[/snapback]

Very well put, Angelic. :bow:

301334[/snapback]

Ditto, it was very well put :bow:

Hey, King, Name one sporting event that gets higher world wide ratings than the Superbowl (I.E. an estimated 1 BILLION viewers)?

As Takara pointed out, the FIFA World Cup.

Also the Olympic Games and probably the UEFA European Championships.

The FA Cup, the Aintree Grand National and possibly the UEFA Champion's League Final attracts comparable audiences.

And besides, I'm not talking about audience figures. I am pointing out that the New England Patriots are the Super Bowl champions of the NATIONAL Football League. Even if, in theory Canadian teams were involved, they would still join your NFL, so it still would not be a "World" Championship.

They are not World Champions. I've heard the same term applied to the World Series winners, and the NBA champions. The title of "World Champions" is inappropriate.

They are not World Champions. I've heard the same term applied to the World Series winners, and the NBA champions. The title of "World Champions" is inappropriate.[/b]

302067[/snapback]

Kinda reminds me of me complaining about the title given to the winner of a certain pageant. (Yeah, my mom, sister & I used to and occasionally still catch parts of beauty pageants.) How the hell can it be "Miss Universe"?!?! There aren't Bajorans, or Ferengi, or Klingons, or whatever. It is just the nations here, so how can they claim to be the best in the Universe.

I know that seems like it veered off the topic of whether or not you can call the Patriots "World Champions".... but if you really put some thought in it. At least with the Mr or Ms World bodybuilding competitions you have people representing other countries in it or at least have in the past.

To the portion I have quoted of The King's response.... :yes: I have wondered this, so I can see where you are coming from. And pretty much can agree. At least with the World Series and the NBA they could expand to actually get other countries in it so it can truly be a World sport (after all they already do that for the Olympics where these sports are concerned) Though forming brackets to make it so you can come down to two teams in finals would probably be mind boggling, and seasons would need to majorly be expanded to get everyone in... so, maybe this is why.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

How the hell can it be "Miss Universe"?!?! There aren't Bajorans, or Ferengi, or Klingons, or whatever. It is just the nations here, so how can they claim to be the best in the Universe.

That would be interesting <_< :biggrin:

If there was a "World Cup" for example in baseball, basketball, or Grid Iron where the United States as a nation competed against others, then they would be entitled to call themselves World Champions if they won.

Alternatively if some kind of World Club Championship of those sports was formed where American teams competed against foreign teams from seperate leagues then the winner could be called World Champions also.

As it stands right now MLB, the NBA, and the NFL are simply domestic leagues with perhaps a few Canadian teams among the members, so the winners can only be classed as National Champions which in itself is a tremendous acheivement. The New England Patriots already deserve respect as the champions. People don't need to give them inaccurate titles to make them seem even more successful.