Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Movie Recommendations-Do you have any?

When I go to Blockbuster I walk up and down the aisles trying to find a movie to rent but I can seldom find anything I want to see. I find a lot of modern movies quite boring. So does anyone have a "good" movie they can recommend - something I may not have heard of - those are often the best movies.

I"m not really interested in R rated movies (I have rented a couple - and yes, I thought the Matrix was boring). I like action but I don't like movies that are all special effects, movies with plots that have special effects are okay.

A general idea of movies I didn't like

The Sixth Sense, The Perfect Storm, The Mummy, The Alamo, The Red Planet and Mission to Mars.

My idea of a good movie

LOTR, Apollo 13, The House of Mirth, Luther, Second Hand Lions, Pirates of the Caribbean, Casablanca

Any suggestions would be helpful - I need a good movie

Heh, I'm a big fan of the films: “Nineteen Eighty-Four”, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”, “Sleeper”, “Gattaca”, and “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”.

Personally, I thought “The Last Man on Earth” was a good Vincent Price film, even if it may seem slow and the zombies mimic some vampiric traits...

But I still think it's a good B-movie.

post-812-1095566621.gif

Edited by DrWho42

I'm trying to think of some lesser known movies I've enjoyed over the years.

If you like Ray Liotta and/or Tom Hulce, I'd recommend "Dominick and Eugene" (1988). Here's a plot summary:

Dominick and Eugene are twins, but Dominick is a little bit slow due do an accident in his youth. They live together, with Dominick working as garbage man to put Eugene through medical school. Their relationship becomes strained when Eugene must decide between his devotion to his brother, or his need to go away to complete his training. Things are also not helped by Dominick's co-worker, or Eugene's budding romance.

I'm not sure why that was the first to come to mind. I saw it years ago when a friend suggested we rent it. I had never heard of it but she had heard good things about it. Tom Hulce played Dominick - excellent performance.

I would recommend National Treasure a new film which is a good film with a good story,for a older film i would go with 2010 a very good sci-fi film :laugh:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Gladiator

The Rock

Hunting For Red October

I don't know if you'd like this, but I thought is was cute. It is a comedy called Undercover Blues about spies on maternity leave. It has a lot of cliche humor, but mixed in with the scenes with the baby made it cute to me.

If you haven't seen the most recent version of Jane Austen's Persuasion, it's very good in my opinion. I also like the Gwenyth Paltrow version of Emma.

The movie the Dish is really charming. It is about the Autrailian role in the first moon landing.

Delicatessen” is a rather interesting French film that I saw on IFC yesterday morning.

Click For Spoiler
166256.gif

Delicatessen (1991) is a French black comedy by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro.

The action is set in a French city after a nuclear war or some equivalent global catastrophe. The story revolves around a bizarre group of neighbors living in an apartment building situated over a butcher shop, the operator of which is also their landlord. With dwindling food supplies, the residents of the building take to desperate measures and routinely lure in unsuspecting new tenants, whom they then kill and cannibalize. The hero is an unemployed acrobat, who is the latest victim to move in, and begins an affair with the butcher's daughter, while trying to survive constant attempts on his life.

post-812-1095566621.gif

"Quick Change" (Bill Murray, Geena Davis, Randy Quaid, Jason Robards)

-- but only if you feel like laughing your pants off.

"The Usual Suspects" (Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Benicio Del Torro, Kevin Pollack)

--- just one of the coolest crime suspense movies ever.

"Office Space" --- bunch of no name guys, but very, very funny. Jennifer Aniston before she was anyone, that guy from Sex in the City, the dude from Drew Carey. It is a must-see for anyone who ever had to work in a cubicle. Excellent.

"In the Name of the Father" (Daniel Day-Lewis, Emma Thompson, Pete Postelwhaite) --- fabulous acting, great story and a TRUE story. A tour de force for Day-Lewis, but then everything he does is quality.

Edited by gul_nodrog

As Good As It Gets, Donnie Darko, Pandora's Clock, Red Corner, Anna & The King, Dogma, Finding Nemo, Left Luggage, Independence Day...

That's it for now, will try to find some more...

STARWARS :P

I have "a few". For historical or "period" dramas, the original "Spartacus", "Gladiator" and "Master and Commander". For musicals, "Chicago" and "De-Lovely". For horror, the first 2 "Hellraiser" movies, "House of 1000 Corpses", and the first 3 "Omen" movies. Non-Trek sci-fi, "Minority Report" and "Bladerunner". Drama, "Traffic" and "The Butterfly Effect". Comedy, "This is Spinal Tap" and almost anything by Monty Python. Like vampires? :vampire: Too many to list!

Ok, I'm finally done.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to check out a couple of those mentioned.

MJ, I did see The Dish and it is the kind of movie I'm looking for. There have been so many versions of Austen's books lately I don't know if I've seen the latest one or not.

I've been curious about "This is Spinal Tap" some of the same people that worked on that worked on "The Mighty Wind" and "Best in Show" - I haven't seen the latter but I've been thinking about it.

Some uncommon movies I enjoy include:

Mercy Streets-long separated twins are forced to switch roles, one is a counterfeiter the other is studying to become a priest

Six: the Mark Unleashed

Time Changer- starring a friend of mine D. David Morrin

Hook starring Robin Williams

More common movies:

LOTR (of course)

Pirates absolutely (that's number two on my list of favorites)

As Good As It Gets, Donnie Darko, Pandora's Clock, Red Corner, Anna & The King, Dogma, Finding Nemo, Left Luggage, Independence Day...

That's it for now, will try to find some more...

STARWARS :laugh:

297355[/snapback]

Oh the shame, I completely forgot The Client, Pirates of the Carribean and Red Planet :spock:

Edited by Kaileron

Dead Again (it's a mystery/drama, not horror)

Frequency -- excellent!!!

Thomas Crown Affair

War Games

Moonstruck

Fried Green Tomatoes

Do you like classics? Like black & white?

My all-time, top three fav's are:

Princess Bride

Shakespeare In Love

Glory

If we are going to black and white, I would recommend King's Row, although I have never actually seen it in Blockbuster. ( I bought the video many years ago...I know not where...maybe at a store like Borders, but it wasn't Borders....).

Personally, I enjoyed these Charles Chaplin films: “Modern Times[1936], “The Great Dictator[1940], and “Monsieur Verdoux[1947].

post-812-1095566621.gif

Dead Again (it's a mystery/drama, not horror)

OMG!!! YES! I would definately recommend this one!! This is an excellent movie! Kenneth Brannagh and Emma Thompson are terrific in this film!

War Games

Moonstruck

Princess Bride

Glory

Also great ones!!

Glory I have had since forever, I have loved that movie since I was little. no matter how many times I see it, the end when the 54th make the attempt to storm the fort and the ending on the beach has me crying every time. I know it is a war movie, but I cry through the end.

If you like movies like this:

The Right Stuff is a really good film B) I have the special edition DVD.

Then there is always (not counting Trek, and without splitting it up by genre):

Apollo 13 (I drive my mom and well pretty much everyone completely nuts, since I pretty much can recite the entire movie :blush 2: )

Braveheart

Gettysburg

Mission To Mars

Drop Dead Gorgeous (another I recite all the lines from, though I usually do that at work :P )

Lake Placid (more a comedy than anything, my favorite is Betty White's character)

The Abyss

Where The Heart Is

Dr. Zhivago

Mary Reilly

Chaplin

Princess Diaries (either I or II)

Like someone said "Holes" is a pretty good one

There are a ton more I could list, but those are for starters.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Dead Calm is also a good film has Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane in it and "The Guardian" has the Druid Bit in there can't give away more than that.

:P B) B) B)

Hmm, I've responded kind of late but maybe some people will read down the list this far.

Anyway, one I saw above and agree in recommending is Wargames. I played Galaga a week ago and that's all I could think about while I was playing, which probably adverselt affected my performance. But, yes, it is an awesome movie.

Another one is the Godfather, heck the whole series is good. The third one is somewhat less so but man they are great movies. It's almost impossible to understand the movie the first time through, so every time you watch it you make more connections. Great story, some special effects, plot twists, in depth character development, great acting, it has it all.

Adversely, there is violence and they are pretty long, like three hours a piece, but oh man it's worth it. Take my word for it and at least rent them.

I appreciate all the comments however, I was looking for less famous movies - that might get overlooked on the shelves. I've heard of many of the movies recommended (and seen a lot of them). Unfortunately, our Blockbuster didnt' have Dominick and Eugene and I had seen most of the ones MJ recommended.

I did watch a couple of very different movies lately, mainly I was trying to watch some of David Hewlett's (Dr. Rodney McKay) early work and I saw "The Cube" - very different and Treed Murray w/ the American name "Get Down" also a little different - but I like a little different. I think Hewlett is terrific by the way. Neither of these are action/adventure movies but I think both are worth the watch. The character in Treed Murray had a little of McKay snarkiness.

So, if you find some hidden jewel I'd love to hear about it.