Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

UPN - Good or bad for ENT?

Enterprise is the 2nd series to air on UPN. With VOY's ratings just high enough to keep the show on air for a full 7 seasons, do you think ENT will suffer the same fate? Do you think ENT can became a huge success like TNG while on UPN, or do you feel it needs to be syndicated or placed on a better network to succeed?

What's your take on this? :bow:

My take is that UPN needs to start delivering episodes of ENT, which will cause the Old-Timers to return in droves. How would you suggest UPN pull that off? Would simply putting it into SYN. do the trick? Will the new direction be enough? Oh yeah, except for ENT, UPN does not exist on my TV's.

ENT will never be a huge sucess if they don't start airing on other networks as well, that's just it :/

I don't think UPN is really good for anything, least of all Star Trek. How good can any show do on the network with the lowest overall ratings!

FOX was not the best channel for TNG either. The station was not really up in the ratings. In fact, I did not watch the first season of TNG at all, until it was rerun because of the writer's strike.

To be honest, Enterprise is the only show I watch on UPN.

FOX was not the best channel for TNG either. The station was not really up in the ratings. In fact, I did not watch the first season of TNG at all, until it was rerun because of the writer's strike.

To be honest, Enterprise is the only show I watch on UPN.

The difference here is that TNG was syndicated so it wasn't only on FOX. For example where I lived we got it on our local NBC station. From what I know this was true in most places. DS9 was also syndicated and I got it on FOX but by that point FOX had become a much bigger name.

UPN is not good for Enterprise. Another problem affecting ratings that TNG and even Voyager did not have to contend with is this ridicolous influx of reality television. Enterprise was airing at the same time as American Idol and think about the ratings it gets. I'm not saying everyone that watched American Idol would have been watching ENT instead, but I guarantee you that ENT would probably go up a whole point if that crap wasn't on at the same time.

UPN is not good for Enterprise. Another problem affecting ratings that TNG and even Voyager did not have to contend with is this ridicolous influx of reality television. Enterprise was airing at the same time as American Idol and think about the ratings it gets. I'm not saying everyone that watched American Idol would have been watching ENT instead, but I guarantee you that ENT would probably go up a whole point if that crap wasn't on at the same time.

*yuck* I hate reality television!! :rolleyes:

reality tv sucks, and so does upn, i only watch ENT, and on extremely rare occasions, VOY, only if the preview looks like one of the mediocre episodes. and to think i was excited when we first got upn, just in time for the ENT launch. i had such high expectations for the station, and THEY BLEW IT BIG TIME.

reality tv sucks, and so does upn, i only watch ENT, and on extremely rare occasions, VOY, only if the preview looks like one of the mediocre episodes. and to think i was excited when we first got upn, just in time for the ENT launch. i had such high expectations for the station, and THEY BLEW IT BIG TIME.

They actually used to have good shows!

Durring VOY's seasons 1-3, they had a cop show, called The Sentenal. Durring VOY seasons 4-6, they had a time travel show called 7 Days. Durring ENT's 1st season, UPN picked up the 3rd season of Roswell, and then cancelled it.

For 6 years, UPN had some good shows to offer, but for the past 3 years, aside Trek & Roswell's 3rd season, it's been mostly crap.

I don't think UPN is a good place for Enterprise. It probably would do better on The New TNN. :rolleyes:

They actually used to have good shows!

Durring VOY's seasons 1-3, they had a cop show, called The Sentenal. Durring VOY seasons 4-6, they had a time travel show called 7 Days. Durring ENT's 1st season, UPN picked up the 3rd season of Roswell, and then cancelled it.

For 6 years, UPN had some good shows to offer, but for the past 3 years, aside Trek & Roswell's 3rd season, it's been mostly crap.

i like seven days, and the sentinal, i didnt know they were originally upn shows, i didnt have upn when they were out. i watch seven days now on tnn, and ocasionally the sentinal on scifi.

I don't think UPN is a good place for Enterprise.  It probably would do better on The New TNN. :rolleyes:

I disagree, as a lot of people without cable, like me, wouldn't be able to watch.

TOS - NBC cancelled it, became a huge success in syndication.

TNG - Massive success durring first run syndication.

DS9 - Syndicated, but the space station idea never caught on.

VOY - Aired on UPN, and had similar ratings to DS9.

ENT - Aired on UPN, and having bad ratings like DS9 & VOY.

It seems to me that Trek is at it's best when syndicated, and not limited to a network. I think the reason DS9 never did well in syndication was becuase the space station idea never caught on and becuase the story arcs were very complicated.

ENT is having the same problem VOY had. I truelly believe that syndication, and some fresh writhers along with a continuity expert, would help the series greatly. :rolleyes:

Do you think partly becasue people dont like UPN and that they haven't been showing that many great episodes, that is a reason why ENT isnt doing that well. I really hope that the 3rd season isn't there last, there is so much more that I think they could do with the show that they haven't yet done.

'Only one out of every 43000 planets suports inteligent life' - Tpol :rolleyes:

Do you think partly becasue people dont like UPN and that they haven't been showing that many great episodes, that is a reason why ENT isnt doing that well. I really hope that the 3rd season isn't there last, there is so much more that I think they could do with the show that they haven't yet done.

I would hate to see Ent cancelled.. But then again, ENT is UPN's most popular show, so they wouldn't likely want it to go off the air..

While I do not like UPN, do not like FOX (I watch it only to see Boston Public), do not like the WB channel..........I also have to agree that there is a lot more that could and should be done with Enterprise. I am looking forward to the 3rd season to see how things go. I also agree with the post about the reality shows. So many TV viewers seem to be hooked on those shows that they amost PANIC :rolleyes: if they can't watch them. I can't figure out what the draw is. But at any rate, ENT being on UPN and at times having to compete with reality shows, is certainly not helping its ratings. So I think the writer's and producers of ENT have a real challenge on their hands next season. :rolleyes:

This is all a moot point. The Star Trek franchise is owned by Paramount. UPN stands for United Paramount Network. Until the suits at UPN decide to fold up the tent, Enterprise isn't going anywhere. In the overall standings of ratings on all networks and cable combined, Enterprise in languishing near the bottom. But take just the UPN shows by themselves and it's doing as well as can be expected. Most UPN stations are either old,former low power UHF stations or newly licensed, low power UHF stations. There's not alot of wiggle room here. The network was at a major disadvantage the minute they decided to compete against the established networks. Remember, we're not living in the 1950's anymore. Even so they are not about to give another network any opportunity to cash in on their property when they can still have their cake and eat it too. Star Trek is still a money maker for Paramount and they're going to squeeze every last bit of profit they can get out of it. With all the money that the other branches of Star Trek are bringing in, Theme attractions, merchandise, books, toys, etc., there is no problem underwriting the full seven years. They know there is still a sizable Trek Nation out here and until that shows signs of waning (i.e. we all get old and die with no replacements), they are going to keep on trekking even if the ratings are lower than what any of the big four networks would allow. Yes, Enterprise will never attact the common masses that we would like to see but that is not entirely Paramount's concern. Enterprise will remain right where it is.

I think UPN sucks. I only wanted so I could see Enterprise. The other shows are crappy and are not on long enough for me to notice them. They did have some decent shows but like the other moronic (WB and Fox) they cancel quality shows before they can gain a following. The only smart move the sci-fi channel has made in a while is the renewal of SG:SG1. But they canceled that out by cancelling Farscape.

WHOA, CJLP THIS IS THE LAST SEASON? THAT REALLY SUCKS, I LOVE SG-1. whered you hear about all this? is the movie gonna be with the cast from sg-1 or the origina? whens the new series come out, and what channel is that gonna be on? oh im so bummed now, but am so looking forward to june 13, their also showing an hour long special on sg-1, along with the two hour season premier.

[sHADOW=purple][GLOW=orange]i have UPN and itis a Sanfrainco Chanel 44

cptwright,

I just read there might be an 8th season! :dude:

Anywho, does anyone think ENT would do a lot better in syndication?  I think a big part of the show's ratings-problem is that none of the stations want UPN... :o

thanks for the gateworld link, thats GREAT. i cant beleive that theres been a season three out, and i couldnt find it. now i know ill be getting it. ive been checking out the stores where i got season one, and two, but now three. COOL, now i can get it. :dude::dude: