Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Early Morning Television

What is the reasoning behind producers/programmers that after 6:00 am there is nothing on television but "paid programming" on cable channels. The local channels all have either newsmagazines or religious programming (is that common outside of the South?) I wake up early sometimes and I'd like to watch something and maybe fall back asleep. (McGuyver used to come on a 5:00 am )

I'm just curious what assumptions they have about people that wake up early rather than stay up late and why they think we'd want to watch infomercials.

Its every in the country. I wake-up early in the morning, because of my job. I would turn the T.V. on to catch the weather. Some of them are info-commericals, newsmagazines or religious programming which are very annoying. Its even on the base television services. :yahoo:

Edited by Odie

My little brother likes watching Paid Programming... :yahoo: I think the last one he told me about concerned the Magic Bullet, which is somekind of blender thingy..

Generally, I enjoy what they show on SciFi in the early morning sometimes, and they re-air The X-Files on TNT.

post-812-1095566621.gif

It was a pain. It is not too bad with satellite, definately not like it was with cable.

But I rarely watch TV that early in the morning, since on weekdays I am at work by 5am. Actually, I do not watch that much TV period.

All the good scifi shows are on at 12:00. X-files, Stargate SG-1, etc. not much in the morning here eexcept news and infomercials.

I hate that paid programming. Though I will admit to watching a couple of them from time to time when they are for music. I watch just to hear the music though.

Hmmm some of you have a better morning tv then we do,all we get is the teletubies and cartoons but normally the discovery channel has one or two things worth turning the tv on for in the morning.

its the "non-ratings" period, whats the point of spending money on a timeslot that people are hardly going to see, when you can get paid to air something...

I just want the news and weather, and not someone trying to sell something that I have no interest buying it.

Edited by Odie

I hate that paid programming. Though I will admit to watching a couple of them from time to time when they are for music. I watch just to hear the music though.

295553[/snapback]

Yeah, they can have good music. But once I had the infomercial playing in the background and they basically played clips of the same six songs. So I put on a CD instead.

Well, I must confess that people like me may be the problem here.

I have actually bought a couple of videos and maybe one piece of "exercise equipment," and at least one vacuum-cleaner like thing from infomercials. So there may be a few more like me out there. Incidentally, I recommend you be very careful....some of the stuff is junk! ;)

Also I like to get up and start my day with Joyce Meyer, one of the preachers that is on early in the morning. I ususally watch her program twice before I leave for work.

So it just might be my fault, TUH! ;)

I'm usually watching the news at that time if I'm watching TV at all. We have almost 500 channels so I could find something on if I looked hard enough.

Ok, I'll admit I sometimes watch the infomercials for their entertainment value - I can't believe how gullible some must be not to see the flaws and lies in those pitches. :P

Ok, I'll admit I sometimes watch the infomercials for their entertainment value - I can't believe how gullible some must be not to see the flaws and lies in those pitches.  :P 

297453[/snapback]

Just rub salt in the wound, AE. I just confessed to being drawn in.

Ok, I'll admit I sometimes watch the infomercials for their entertainment value - I can't believe how gullible some must be not to see the flaws and lies in those pitches.  :spock: 

297453[/snapback]

297542[/snapback]

Sorry Mj. Don't feel too bad though, every time I see that "Cold Heat" soldering iron I feel tempted to order even though I don't even need one; it's a very good pitch that one is.

The only TV I watch early in the morning (now that I actually gave up the night owl routine for mornings) is CNN Headline News just to catch up on the headlines then the TV goes off for most of the day. I rarely watch the infomercials, though I'll admit I've bought a couple things from them. The religious channels are blocked on our TVs and I've never noticed religious programing on the other channels.

Ok, I'll admit I sometimes watch the infomercials for their entertainment value - I can't believe how gullible some must be not to see the flaws and lies in those pitches.  :spock: 

297453[/snapback]

297542[/snapback]

Sorry Mj. Don't feel too bad though, every time I see that "Cold Heat" soldering iron I feel tempted to order even though I don't even need one; it's a very good pitch that one is.

297840[/snapback]

I thought I wasn't the only one. The only stopping me it that I really don't need one.

297840[/snapback]

I thought I wasn't the only one. The only stopping me it that I really don't need one.

297857[/snapback]

I want one too. :spock: I have no idea what I'd ever use it for but I really want it. :laugh:

Click For Spoiler

297857[/snapback]

It makes amazing claims huh? I want to test its claim of heating up and cooling off so fast, pretty dumb reason to shell out $25 bucks though. I would also like to know, if its claims are true, how it works; I would probably end up dissecting it. :laugh:. I think I'll try to find something about its abilities online that may quell my appetite for knowing its secrets...

The religious channels are blocked on our TVs and I've never noticed religious programing on the other channels.

297854[/snapback]

On Sunday mornings all the local* stations (as in network affifiliates) carry church services. I just looked at tomorrow morning's schedule between 8 -10 am. I counted ten different religious programs on non-cable channels nestled in between Good morning America - Meet the Press etc. I've wondered if they did that in other places.

Oh and that soldering tool does look neat.

*Local being defined as being within the mileage limits to meet cable regulations "must carry" rules. The town I live in doesn't have a tv station.

The religious channels are blocked on our TVs and I've never noticed religious programing on the other channels.

297854[/snapback]

On Sunday mornings all the local* stations (as in network affifiliates) carry church services. I just looked at tomorrow morning's schedule between 8 -10 am. I counted ten different religious programs on non-cable channels nestled in between Good morning America - Meet the Press etc. I've wondered if they did that in other places.

Oh and that soldering tool does look neat.

*Local being defined as being within the mileage limits to meet cable regulations "must carry" rules. The town I live in doesn't have a tv station.

297863[/snapback]

I just looked up our tv listings for tomorrow morning and one channel has 2 half hour religious programs but that's it, the rest is infomercials or news programs.

If you are not careful you will talk yourselves into buying that tool. You all better not buy that soldering tool. That stuff doesn't work like it does on TV! Let's not be like the lemmings. If you know a person who went off the cliff, don't follow!

I feel my tranfering into a lemming! :spock: I really want to see if it works.

80 channels... $60.00 for cable and there's still nothing on. I usually just put on the weather for a while, maybe the news. Although on SciFi tomorrow they're airing Star Trek (TOS) all day beginning at 8am.

That looks like a tribble to me , Odie. Tribbles are not lemmings.

298083[/snapback]

I know, but it looks better than a lemming. Plus tribbles don't have a nasty habbit of jumping off a cliff without a safety device. :spock:

Where I'm at we have satelite and in the way early morning hours I often get to see Gunsmoke and Bonanza on Nick At Night or channel 301 here. I've become quite a fan of old westerns now. Edited by BlueCrystal