Sign in to follow this  
poldor

tng lover

I've split the responses of The King and Gul_Nudrog into a new topic in Ten Forward called "After Gene Roddenberry Trek" as they were off topic.

For the record, both agreed TNG was a very good series.

OK thanks.

Yeah, it was a good show. It certainly had weaknesses though, Tasha Yar was really unnecessary on the show since Worf was so much more interesting which is something the producers noticed too. The problems with Wesley Crusher are well known. I think Counselor Troi should have also been dropped after the first few episodes too.

TNG is my favorite series.

It's interesting to watch the early episodes and see how much the characters have devoloped over the series.

And thank God, so did the make-up and hair.

I have to agree with King there, I'd like to have seen Troi dropped from the show and get a new counsellor.

Well, I never thought they needed a counsellor.

When Kirk had a problem, he talked to Spock and Bones, he didn't need a counsellor. B)

I posted something like this before ages ago, but I'll say it again and change it slightly.

Picard and Riker were superb all the way through the show.

Dr Crusher was IMO a boring character, and the relationship with Picard went nowhere, which was a shame. A better "ship's doctor" was needed on the show.

Troi, Tasha Yar, and Wesley Crusher should NEVER have been in the show.

Geordi should always have been Chief Engineer and Worf always TAC/SEC chief.

Data I feel should have been the Chief Science Officer which are nearly always exposition characters in Trek, ie Spock, Seven, Dax etc....They never need an OPS officer, since those aspects can be handled by the Chief Engineer. They could have had a Communications Officer for the sake of tradition. This would only be needed as a recurring character, not a regular.

And finally...they needed a Navigator / Pilot officer, right from the start.

Well, I never thought they needed a counsellor.

Data I feel should have been the Chief Science Officer which are nearly always exposition characters in Trek, ie Spock, Seven, Dax etc....They never need an OPS officer, since those aspects can be handled by the Chief Engineer. They could have had a Communications Officer for the sake of tradition. This would only be needed as a recurring character, not a regular.

294594[/snapback]

Deanna Troi was almost written out of the series. You may have noticed she was missing from a number of episodes in season one. However, with the departure of Denise Crosby and the letting go of Gates McFadden, the PTB kept the character.

As for Data, I read earlier today at IMDB that he was originally going to be the Chief Science Officer however the make-up clashed with the blue science tunic so the new position of Chief Operations Officer was used and he wore the operations tunic.

Deanna Troi was almost written out of the series. You may have noticed she was missing from a number of episodes in season one.

Yeah, I believe it was four episodes.

I had no idea about the Data "make-up" clash. I'm sure they could have switched colours, perhaps a black uniform with only a small amount of colour could have been used.

B)

this is a fantastic series that will always be hard to top. This has always been my favorite series, the characters work so well together and the stories are always fantastic.

TNG is the best Trek ever (at least for me, that is B) ), and I enjoy (almost) every episode. I've seen them many times, but I somehow can't stop watching them again and again. Maybe that's because of that bald guy in the captain's chair ( B) ), who knows B)

What I liked about TNG is that it was a very good show and the Sequel to TOS ("and first Run in Syndication")and the Stories were good and so were the special effects throughout the 7 year run have no complaints about the characters in general but was happy when they changed the Hair and makeup in the series the Outfits etc.

B) B) B) :laugh:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I always liked Troi ... who cares if the ship really didn't need a counselor, having an empath on board was certainly helpful ... too bad she wasn't as good at it as her mother! If there was no Deanna Troi aboard, we'd never have met the marvelous L'xanna (however you spell it).

Tar ... hated her from the start. Worf should have been "the man" immediately.

Crusher was all right when they were exploring the attraction between her and Picard ... other than that, I liked Katherine Pulaski much better.

Wesley was cool once they got him out of civvies and put him in a uniform. Once he became a little older, he stopped annoying me. But at first, I wanted them to throw him out the nearest porthole.

TNG was an incredible television show. I'm glad it came on the air when it did, or it might have gotten lost in the shuffle of 72 channels of sci-fi crap on cable to choose from today.

I never cared for Tasha Yar either and didn't miss her when she was gone, but I do have to admit that the end of "Skin of Evil" was very touching and a respectful way to make an exit.

Although, DS9 and ENT are my two favorite series, I did very much enjoy TNG. I am a fan of the Troi character though.

TNG was a very good series. I learned that years later after it had gone onto re-runs. The characters and stories are great. It was a wonderful credit to the Star Trek legacy.