Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Wrath of Khan v First Contact

Which of these 2 favourites is better?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 2 favourites is better?

• Wrath of Khan
    • First Contact
    • No! Don't make me choose!

Since these two movies seem to be the favourites of many I thought we could do a little poll on this too. So which is the better movie, TWOK or FC?

I voted FC! I'm a TNGer all the way and FC was a fantastic movie!

Now Takara, you know I'm a Tng fan and this is really pushing my loyalties BUT Wrath was an awsome movie with an awseome villian and had everything that a true Trek Film should. So I went with Wrath.

These two films are the best out of al of them, in my opinion.

The film I have watched the most is Wrath of Khan.

The one I think is best, depends on where you are coming from.

Wrath has a great villan. The plot line is tightly written with drama and a new ship. The theme of revenge runs throughout.

FC also has a great villan, but not as great. The plot line is a little less focussed with a lot more emphasis on special effects. We also have a new ship and there is also the theme of revenge.

I prefer Wrath. It has a nicer feel to it and it doesnt wear thin on me. I can watch it over and over again and never get tired with it. FC i have to leave from time to time to get interested again. Wrath also has great follow ups and the death of Spock at the end was much more emotional than that of Data at the end of Nemesis.

Now, don't bite my head off, that is just my own subjective opinion. It depends on how close you felt to each character but I think that for someone who knew neither character and had to watch both deaths, they would feel most sad at Spock's. It was just so heart wrenching, and you could really feel Kirk's pain as well.

I voted Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It has the best and most poetic villain in a Star Trek film, and Ricardo Montalban gives a virtuoso performance that gives the character a Shakespearean quality.

It is also a very well crafted plot that is bookended with quotes from A Tale of Two Cities. This serves to place emphasis on the theme of mortality and friendship that reaches its emotional climax with the death Spock. Kirk's character is well written and he regains the brashness that he had in the orignial series, this allows Shatner to put in a good performance without appearing to be 'haming it up'.

We also have a great score from James Horner that aptly fits the adventure element of the story while also paying tribute to some of the themes of the series. This, combined with the fast Star Wars like cutting, provided us with the adventure but it goes further than this with fine performances from the actors and the undertones of classic literature. And this is why it is so much more than just another action flick.

Kirstie Alley with ears, people, come ON - joking aside (and i really, REALLY like FC), there's just more meat to Khan - i think the family aspect had so much to do with the depth of the story; that aspect went almost missing in ST3, and i've just never seen it again in the movies ... i have to agree that Khan is watchable over and over again - ah, the good ol' days...

Simply.... FIRST CONTACT

Of course I would pick a TNG movie....plus it is my favorite Trek movie of all time.

This was really tough.. Khan is a great villian and the movie has a great feeling..But the excitement in FC can't be beaten.. I have to go with First Contact!

I almost said "no! don't make me choose!" but then i went with first contact, I loved them both, but first contact is tng and I love tng.

isn't it weird how the second movies are always the best? or at least IMO. All the movies I've seen where there are more than one, the second is always the best, matrix, xmen, lord of the rings..etc (imo). maybe thats why 2 is my lucky number...

I love all 10 movies for different reasons but TWOK is the best of the lot. I find myself getting bored with the borg in FC but I love the "On-Earth" sceens. I also love it when Geordi, Riker and Chocran lift off with the music rocking! lol

FIRST CONTACT

is my favorite ST movie. Resistance in Futile.

It had just the right amount of action, effects, story line and character development.

Do you even have to ask?

Ok, let's review...

Data making out with the BQ...Kirk shouting "Khan!" in a REALLY funny voice.

Data turning human...lots of boring "Here, you're about to escape, so let me tell you my whole evil plan."

Data killing the BQ...old fat Kirk.

Picard showing IMMENSE agility in older years...see previous comment.

I say again, do you even have to ASK??

I hate choosing but I voted for The Wrath of Khan. The movie is a classic with one of the most dynamic villains in history. Alice Krige's Borg Queen was good but she can't match Ricardo's performance. You can actually feel and see Khan's obsession. Plus let's not forget It was STWOK that really started the film franchise which led to Star Trek coming back to TV.

hmmm thats a tough one... ST 2 or 8 ... i love the borg so i had to vote 8, not to say that the comedy in 4 wasnt great

First Contact

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

:borg: :borg:

Sometimes it isn't hard to guess how a person voted. Borg.gif

borg.gif

I am a fan of all of the star trek incarnations but i have to say that i have to go with wrath of khan and i really like the special edtion as they put back a lot of the extra footege which made the movie make so much more sence. :idea:

I like all of the incarnations of trek but i had to go with the wrath of khan as mentioned above its just one of those movie you can watch again and agian and the directors cut on dvd makes it even better with the deleted footege but back in. :idea:

There were so many things I love about TWOK. I have to agree that you really could "feel" Kirk's pain at lose Spock in the end. It was also a great chase scene in the nebula...love that.

But I still have to go with my heart and vote

FIRST CONTACT

"He will make an excellent drone..."

This is cool, at the time of this post First Contact is ahead by five! YAY!!! A definate switch, because back when I voted, Khan was ahead