Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

2004 A.D.

2004 was an interesting year. From the Super Bowl flash to the Asia Tsunami blast, school treats to global upsets, the loss of a guy that got no respect to the loss of a president that did his best, politics were crazy with elections, shame, and pointing blame, T.V. was reality, desperate, and lost, and then there were the gas prices cost. 2004 had stories great and small and now it is time to post them all. So what ever it might be post away and say goodbye to the 2004 way.

I will make a poll out of the best stories and that poll will start Sunday January 2nd, 2005.

newYearsSmall.jpg

Edited by Capt_Picard

Nice rhyme B)

2004 will be a very interesting year to look back upon and reflect...

Well see right now I want to get a list of stories going like...

Sirius Satellite Radio Signs Howard Stern, Show Will Debut in January 2006

The Associated Press reported that Howard Stern has announced that he will be joining Sirius Satellite Radio beginning in January 2006. At that time he will leave Infinity Broadcasting, a subsidiary of Viacom, the current syndicator of his program.

Edited by Capt_Picard

Bush wins, GOP gains control of Legislature tops 2004 news

Announcing the Death of Ronald Reagan

By the President of the United States of America

A Proclamation

TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES:

It is my sad duty to announce officially the death of Ronald Reagan, the fortieth President of the United States, on June 5, 2004.

We are blessed to live in a Nation, and a world, that have been shaped by the will, the leadership, and the vision of Ronald Reagan.

With an unshakable faith in the values of our country and the character of our people, Ronald Reagan renewed America's confidence and restored our Nation. His optimism, strength, and humility epitomized the American spirit. He always told us that for America the best was yet to come.

Ronald Reagan believed that God takes the side of justice and that America has a special calling to oppose tyranny and defend freedom. Through his courage and determination, he enhanced America's security and advanced the spread of peace, liberty, and democracy to millions of people who had lived in darkness and oppression. As America's President, Ronald Reagan helped change the world.

President Reagan has left us, but he has left us stronger and better. We take comfort in the knowledge that he has left us for a better place, the shining city that awaits him.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Ronald Reagan, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrange-ments for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

I hereby order that suitable honors be rendered by units of the Armed Forces under orders of the Secretary of Defense.

I do further appoint Friday, June 11, 2004, as a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States. I call on the American people to assemble on that day in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President Reagan. I invite the people of the world who share our grief to join us in this solemn observance.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixth day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Apologetic Jackson says 'costume reveal' went awry

FCC to investigate incident at end of halftime show

Tuesday, February 3, 2004 Posted: 7:58 AM EST (1258 GMT)

(CNN) -- Singer Janet Jackson apologized Monday to anyone who was offended when her right breast was exposed during the halftime show Sunday at the Super Bowl.

"The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was made after final rehearsals," Jackson said in a statement.

"MTV was completely unaware of it. It was not my intention that it go as far as it did. I apologize to anyone offended -- including the audience, MTV, CBS and the NFL."

MTV produced the halftime show, which was broadcast by CBS. Both had issued their own apologies.

On Monday, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell ordered an investigation of the incident.

An estimated 140 million people were watching the show when at the end, pop star Justin Timberlake popped off part of Jackson's corset, exposing her breast.

Powell told CNN he was not convinced the incident was an accident.

"Clearly somebody had knowledge of it. Clearly it was something that was planned by someone," he said. "She probably got what she was looking for."

Jackson spokesman Stephen Huvane said the incident "was a malfunction of the wardrobe; it was not intentional. ... He was supposed to pull away the bustier and leave the red-lace bra."

Huvane said an unauthorized copy of Jackson's single "Just a Little While" has appeared on the Internet, so Virgin Records decided to release it Monday. The song is from the album "Damita Jo," set to be released March 30.

MTV posted this tease on its Web site last week: "Janet Jackson's Super Bowl show promises shocking moments."

Powell said he was watching the game Sunday evening with his two children and found the incident "outrageous."

"I knew immediately it would cause great outrage among the American people, which it did," he said, citing "thousands" of complaints received by Monday morning. "We have a very angry public on our hands."

Powell said MTV and the CBS network's more than 200 affiliates and company-owned stations could be fined $27,500 apiece.

"I think it's all of their problem," he said. "The law allows you to reach many of the different parties." He said he would like to see the enforcement penalties strengthened to 10 times their current amount.

"We all as a society have a responsibility as to what the images and messages our children hear when they're likely to be watching television," he said.

"I don't think that's being moralistic, and I don't think that's government trying to tell people how to run their businesses. I don't think you need to be a lawyer to understand the basic concepts of common decency here."

Powell said he "expressed my great displeasure" over the incident in a telephone call Monday with CBS President and CEO Mel Karmazin, who "promised to cooperate" with the investigation.

Although Karmazin expressed "a great deal of regret," Powell said those sentiments would not deter the investigation.

The stock price of Viacom, the parent of CBS, rose more than 1 percent Monday.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident that occurred during the Super Bowl halftime show," the network said in a statement. "We attended all rehearsals throughout the week, and there was no indication that any such thing would happen.

"The moment did not conform to CBS broadcast standards, and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

A statement from MTV said the tearing of Jackson's costume "was unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance.

"MTV regrets this incident occurred, and we apologize to anyone who was offended by it."

Despite its apology, MTV did not hesitate to promote the incident after the fact. A Web page headline said: "Janet Jackson Got Nasty at the MTV-Produced Super Bowl Halftime Show."

Continuing, the Web page said, "Jaws across the country hit the carpet at exactly the same time. You know what we're talking about ... Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake and a kinky finale that rocked the Super Bowl to its core."

Not everyone was buying the apologies.

"They can apologize all they want, but this was wrong, and heads are going to fall," said New York-based media strategist Robbie Vorhaus, who once worked for CBS.

Performing together in a routine that had included a number of bump-and-grind moves, Timberlake reached across Jackson, flicking off the molded right cup of the bustier, leaving her breast bare except for a starburst-shaped decoration held in place by a nipple piercing.

Timberlake issued his own apology. "I am sorry if anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance at the Super Bowl," he said. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

The White House also weighed in on the issue. "Our view is that it's important for families to be able to expect a high standard when it comes to programming," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue joined the chorus. "The show was offensive, inappropriate and embarrassing to us and our fans. We will change our policy, our people and our processes for managing the halftime entertainment in the future in order to deal far more effectively with the quality of this aspect of the Super Bowl."

AOL, owned by CNN parent company Time Warner, attempted to distance itself from the dispute.

"While AOL was the sponsor of the Super Bowl Halftime Show, we did not produce it. In deference to our membership and the fans, AOL and AOL.com will not be presenting the halftime show online as originally planned."

Other Major news stories

The X prize and Starship One (first private space flight)

Florida hurricanes (four major hits in one season)

Mel Gibson's record breaking movie

Flu vaccine shortage

Scott Peterson trial

Lori Hacking murder

The pregnant woman murder/kidnapping of infant

In my opinion the most important news stories included:

The Madrid bombings, The Beslan Schoolhostage-stituation, The Asia quak and more for the dutch, the murder of Theo van Gogh and the death of Juliana and Bernhard.

I think everything will pale in comparison to the Asian quake/tsunami but I fogotten some of the stories Kaileron mentioned. The school hostage story was a horrific event in itself and the murder of Van Gogh is very disturbing.

another news story of the year, and other Floridians probably agree on this..as well as people of the Carribbean Islands, and Alabama(also any people in the path of the weakening storms...those on the eastern seaboard)

FOUR NAMES:

Charley

Frances

Ivan

and Jeanne

Plus, the fact that the Atlantic season reached Otto before finally quieting down for the year

EDIT: oops, Unicorn Hunter beat me to that one.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Greece won UEFA EURO 2004 by beating Portugal in the final.

Porto won the UEFA Champion's League.

Middlesbrough won the Carling Cup.

Manchester United won the FA Cup.

Rafael Benitez became manager of Liverpool.

Chelsea spent more and more and more money.

Arsenal won the FA Premiership, undefeated all season.

Manchester United ended Arsenal's unbeaten run after 49 games with a 2-0 win at Old Trafford.

Jessica Simpson lip-synchs

"Friends" ends

Lance Armstrong wins 6th Tour de France

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- Britney Spears' two-day-old marriage to a childhood friend was dissolved Monday shortly after the pop superstar filed for an annulment, claiming she didn't fully understand what she was doing when she got hitched on the spur of the moment.
2004 election

An intense race for the presidency led to the re-election of President Bush over Democratic challenger John Kerry. As in 2000, the election came down to one state. This time, it was Ohio's 20 electoral votes that put Bush over the top. Unlike 2000, Bush also won the popular vote with 51 percent to Kerry's 48 percent. The election further tipped the balance of power decisively into the Republican corner in Washington as the party won larger advantages in the Senate and House. In the 11 gubernatorial races, Democrats and Republicans split 10 contests while Washington's race remains too close to call and a hand recount is under way. Nationwide, voters turned out in droves, with a turnout rate approaching 60 percent, the highest since 1968.

Morality split

Exit polls from the 2004 election suggested voters who cited "moral values" as most important to them may have assured President Bush a second term. If so, they did so in a year rife with debate on ethical issues -- starting with an outcry over media decency after Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl halftime show. "The Passion of the Christ," about Jesus's final days, grossed $89.3 million in its first three days in theaters, while Michael Moore's anti-Bush diatribe "Fahrenheit 911" became the most profitable documentary ever. Months after Massachusetts' first legal same-sex marriages, voters in 11 states backed referendums making it illegal. In June, the Supreme Court reversed a lower-court decision that teacher-led recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional, ruling that the California father who filed the case did not have the legal standing to do so.

Well thats is a lot and now I will go through them all and start the poll of the biggest event of 2004... due to that fact my laptop is going out for repairs tomorrow this will be up by the end of the week... sorry if it takes to long, but I am doing my best with only an hour on net a day and no other computers.

It was the year to grow-up,

the year of love,

and the year of anger.

It was the year of disappointments,

a year of weakness,

and a year of convictions.

A year of tears, questions, and unsurity

and of hope, revelations, and discovery.

It was the year I did all that I could and maximized my potential

and the I came so close to glory, glory that wasn't meant for me.

It was the year I found out who I was, and the year I fought for who I was

The year is 2004

the place is the axis of humanity

This is kind of a rough outline of my year and based loosely on season 4 of Babylon 5

I don't know I kind of made it all up just now (including the axis bit).

Due to the fact my laptop is in for repairs for the 5th time I will be posting the poll in the next weekend. I am sorry for this and also I am sure you all like the top stories I have chosen for the poll.