Sign in to follow this  
joeybear

CAPTAIN PROTON!

I just saw "The Adventures of Captain Proton" episode for the first time, and fell in love with 'Voyager" all over again - it was perfect Startrek - ingenious, elaborate, and total camp!!! - I so had to say so to everyone who loves 'Voyager' - this is why...[/size][/size]

Last night was the first time I had seen this episode as well. It was a lot of fun but at the same time it highlighted one of the things I never liked as much about Voyager. Voyager was simply too light hearted for me most of the time. It seems like half the shows were about them trying to find new ways to have a good time so that they wouldn't go crazy. I've always been a much bigger fan of the darker more serious side of Trek, which is why I liked DS9 so much.

don't get me wrong though, Captian Proton was pretty cool.

I always liked the Captain Proton episodes. It was nice to see how the crew spent their downtime.

I loved Captain Proton, it was a kind of break from the regular Star Trek universe and it was full of laughs :)

Which epi did you see?

The one thing that made me wonder though was this: in the 1930s and 1940s that was how cinema goers saw the future. Flash Gordon and Ming the merciless and rockets and stuff. They thought that that was a realistic interpretation of the future. Now, we contemporary viewers are looking back at such ideas as funny in their naivety. I wonder if viewers in 2050 will look back at Voyager and The Noxt Generation in the same way that we look back at shows like Captain Proton.

Either way, that was just a thought. That aside, I agree that Captain Proton was hilarious and I liked Captain Janeway as Queen Arachnia, of the Spider people in another Proton Episode.

:bow: This is about the third time I've watched it. Each time it gets better and better. This time, though I had the chance to concentrate on Janeways face. OMG where the facial expressions out of this World. :bow: I ended up ROTFLMASO. I have never seen so many expression on her face in just one show as I did in Captain Proton. Before I found myself watching Tom Paris explaining what she had to do in order to pull off what they need to do. I believe in reruns more and more, because it gives you a chance to watch the others reaction to what is going on. Thank God for Reruns. :bow::bow:

:bow: This is about the third time I've watched it. Each time it gets better and better. This time, though I had the chance to concentrate on Janeways face. OMG where the facial expressions out of this World. :bow:  I ended up ROTFLMASO. I have never seen so many expression on her face in just one show as I did in Captain Proton. Before I found myself watching Tom Paris explaining what she had to do in order to pull off what they need to do. I believe in reruns more and more, because it gives you a chance to watch the others reaction to what is going on. Thank God for Reruns. :bow:  :bow:

Now I have to watch it again! :)

I vividly remember the scene in the briefing room where Tom is trying to explain it...LMAO! :bow: That scene was great!

:bow: I can't say that I was ever a big fan of the Proton shows, dunno why..Same can be said for Data and La Forge and the Sherlocke Homes stories. I guess I just always wanted space adventures..which is why I watched Trek.

:bow: I watch reruns now so I can train my attention on the other characters in the show, you know the ones in the background, and how they react. This way your not so caught up in the plot so much that you don't get to see them, the other actors that is. :bow:

:bow: I can't say that I was ever a big fan of the Proton shows, dunno why..Same can be said for Data and La Forge and the Sherlocke Homes stories. I guess I just always wanted space adventures..which is why I watched Trek.

I didn't like the Sherlock Holmes episodes either, I don't know why so many people liked Elementary Dear Data so much.

I didn't like the Sherlock Holmes episodes either, I don't know why so many people liked Elementary Dear Data so much.

I think it's cuz ppl liked watching Data learn. ?

i saw the one with Janeway as Queen of the ... spider people? - the episode totally reminde me of 'Flash Gordon, et al, and i agree that our heroes will seem laughable in a hundred years or so - the TNG Holmes episodes never did it for me ... i was the biggest TNG fan, but Voyager swept me off my feet ... besides, the 'planets' look SO much better...

I also think that these episodes were good for expanding on the Tom Paris character. I have always believed that what a person does in their free time is an insite into their personality and can not be ignored because their work and private personna are ofter quite different.

I liked all the episodes with Captain Proton... Especially the one with the twins... There goes Ensign Kim fallling for the wrong woman. hehe

i saw the one with Janeway as Queen of the ... spider people? - the episode totally reminde me of 'Flash Gordon, et al, and i agree that our heroes will seem laughable in a hundred years or so - the TNG Holmes episodes never did it for me ... i was the biggest TNG fan, but Voyager swept me off my feet ... besides, the 'planets' look SO much better...

Hee :lol:

They were directly based off of the Flash Gordon stuff. Satans robot was actually in one of the originals. :rolleyes:

;)

Loved these episodes.  Harry needs to take the big chair during these as well.  Always like humour in my trek!

Click for Spoiler:

s259.jpg

I love Sev Trek :grin:

I liked the show when voyager was split into many time zones and chakotay (sorry spelling) was the only one that could move around the ship intill he got janeway from the past to help him so when they were in the captian proton area she had no clue what it was and her face expreshions were clasic

I liked the show when voyager was split into many time zones and chakotay (sorry spelling) was the only one that could move around the ship intill he got janeway from the past to help him so when they were in the captian proton area she had no clue what it was and her face expreshions were clasic

I loved that!

And Chatotay (you got it right) was just sitting there snickering at her! LOL! :)

And Chatotay (you got it right) was just sitting there snickering at her! LOL!  :)

:) Did you also notice that he (Chakotay) was the only one in that scene to catch her expessions. Weither it was planned or not, he cracked up. :)

And Chatotay (you got it right) was just sitting there snickering at her! LOL!  :)

:) Did you also notice that he (Chakotay) was the only one in that scene to catch her expessions. Weither it was planned or not, he cracked up. :)

LOL!

I didn't! :)

What I loved about Captain Proton was that those episode was in black and white :-)

It was funny, cool and I wonder what would I think about being in black and white for a time.......

The one thing that made me wonder though was this: in the 1930s and 1940s that was how cinema goers saw the future. Flash Gordon and Ming the merciless and rockets and stuff. They thought that that was a realistic interpretation of the future. Now, we contemporary viewers are looking back at such ideas as funny in their naivety. I wonder if viewers in 2050 will look back at Voyager and The Noxt Generation in the same way that we look back at shows like Captain Proton.

Either way, that was just a thought. That aside, I agree that Captain Proton was hilarious and I liked Captain Janeway as Queen Arachnia, of the Spider people in another Proton Episode.

I've always wondered that too :rolleyes: Although, and I must admit I have no imagination, I can't imagine things getting much more advanced than star trek...

Oh, and I quite liked Cpt Proton,bbut I'd need to re-watch the episodes because I don't remember much except the one where Janeway had to pretend to be Queen Arachnia, which I found hilarious, and very much enjoyed.