Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Undiscovered Country vs Generations

Which do you prefer?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Undiscovered Country
    • Generations

UC. In Generations something happened I have never received a good answer for; why did Kirk not know he was in the nexus for some seventy years, remember Guinan said From his point of view, he just got here or something like that. The point was it implied he had been being held in limbo all those years, not enjoying his hearts content like everyone else who was in the Nexus, why?

Guinnan, "Time has no meaning here."

Kirk wasn't in the Nexus for 78 years. Picard arrived in the Nexus, realised his "fantasy" was just that, a fantasy. Then Guinnan's echo shows up, and decides to send Picard to when Kirk first got to the Nexus as well. She can do that, seeing as time has no meaning there. So, after a while, Picard convinces him it isn't real, and to go back with him to save Verridian III. Hope that helps. :dude:

As far as The Undiscovered Country vs. Generations? I don't think that's a fair comparrison as STVI:TUC is the final adventure of TOS while ST:G is the first movie adventure of TNG.

Can I just stop you there a minute, and question your infinite wisdom for one second.

I think it is a very fair comparison. Why cant we compare the just because one is the end for one crew and one is the beginning for another? How does that have any bearing on making a comparison of each film on their merits?

Since time was non existent there I think that Kirk could have been inside that pleasure for a second, an eternity, whatever you want to consider 'timeless' occupancy. However, my most reasonable explanation for Picard arrining just when Kirk did was because he chose to arrive at that time. When Kirk arrived. Argh! Need more drugs.....

Guinnan, "Time has no meaning here."

Kirk wasn't in the Nexus for 78 years.  Picard arrived in the Nexus, realised his "fantasy" was just that, a fantasy.  Then Guinnan's echo shows up, and decides to send Picard to when Kirk first got to the Nexus as well.  She can do that, seeing as time has no meaning there.  So, after a while, Picard convinces him it isn't real, and to go back with him to save Verridian III.  Hope that helps. :dude:

Since time was non existent there I think that Kirk could have been inside that pleasure for a second, an eternity, whatever you want to consider 'timeless' occupancy. However, my most reasonable explanation for Picard arrining just when Kirk did was because he chose to arrive at that time. When Kirk arrived.

As far as The Undiscovered Country vs. Generations?  I don't think that's a fair comparrison as STVI:TUC is the final adventure of TOS while ST:G is the first movie adventure of TNG.

Can I just stop you there a minute, and question your infinite wisdom for one second.

I think it is a very fair comparison. Why cant we compare the just because one is the end for one crew and one is the beginning for another? How does that have any bearing on making a comparison of each film on their merits?

I said it wasn't fair, my opinion, I didn't say you "couldn't" compare. :dude: To me, comparing these 2 movies is like comparring TNG's finale to ENT's pilot. heh

I voted for The Undiscoverd Country , even if I'm a TNG - DS9 fan.

The story just was more interesting to me

I preferred Generations.

I haven't really familiarized myself with the old cast.And it always struck me funny,after Kirk and comapny had reached their 50's and 60's that they were still charging,hell bent for leather across the cosmos.I prefer the younger TNG crew.

I picked Generations, but Undiscovered Country is right behind it. Both superior films.

Undiscovered Country can keep me intrested and I like it cause its like CSI in Space, I mean honestly when Picard meets kirk did you really want them to cook eggs togeter, Yawn!

:oops:

(Ugh why cant I type, what type of idiot spells eggs wrong duh)

Edited by dragonwrangler95

They are both very good movies.

But i went with Generations.

I cant vote, until someone tells me what UC is about.. is about them going back in time? Or is about Kirk being on trial? I can't remember! Wait, wasnt it the one where that pyschic guys takes over the ship and sends it to the barrier?

I cant vote, until someone tells me what UC is about.. is about them going back in time?

340282[/snapback]

The exact opposite! :lol:

The Undiscovered Country is the last of the Original crew and is the one where Kirk and McCoy are held in a Klingon prison. Hardly a boring movie. It was one of the better "original" movies.

The Undiscovered Country is one of the better Trek movies that was ever done. The Klingons finally got their hands on Kirk..Kirk and McCoy in a Klingon prision..The shape shifter Martia..Romulans, Klingons and Federation officers conspiring with each other to murder Chancellor Gorkon. A Bird of Prey that can fire when cloaked..And we finally get to see Sulu as Captain of his own ship..I'll never forget that opening..Wow !! It wasn't boring at all in my view..It was a great movie!

The Undiscovered Country is a terrific movie with a strong story and superb character development. IMO it's the second best of the Original Series movies, behind The Wrath Of Khan, with a dark and mature tone that DS9 would continue.

Generations is absolute crap.

The Undiscovered Country is a terrific movie with a strong story and superb character development. IMO it's the second best of the Original Series movies, behind The Wrath Of Khan, with a dark and mature tone that DS9 would continue.

340314[/snapback]

Don't say that - Generations is great! I love it so much.

I love the next generation, so much better than the shows that followed>

I thought Generations was a fine film (it stayed at my local theater for over a month so the public must have thought so too) but TUC was better imo.

Both films had the goal of connecting TOS and TNG together with story lines & characters, I prefer the way TUC did it is all.

340314[/snapback]

Don't say that - Generations is great! I love it so much.

I love the next generation, so much better than the shows that followed>

340340[/snapback]

The King is right, when you heard Picard an Kirk were gonna meet did anyone see them cooking eggs together, i just can't get past that, the 2 Enterprises should of meet, they should of continued from TUC and have on their final voyage home The Enterprise-A get caught in a Time Wormhole sent into the Future, where they Meet the D and The TNG crew and have them not @ 1st Beleave they are in the future and attack the D, and so on from there, The writers Truly drop the ball on Generations and IMO its proably the worst made ST movie of them all

and that's the Bottom line Cause Dragonwrangler95 Said so

The poll looks pretty even to me but honestly the true begining of the TNG films began with First Contact and the Enterprise-E

The poll looks pretty even to me but honestly the true begining of the TNG films began with First Contact and the Enterprise-E

:lol: Not in everyones opinion.

The Undiscovered Country is my all-time favorite Trek film.

Generations paled in comparison to TUC (in my opinion), but it was still a very enjoyable movie. I've probably watched it more often than Nemesis, Final Frontier and Motion Picture combined. :lol:

The Undiscovered Country is one of the better Trek movies that was ever done. The Klingons finally got their hands on Kirk..Kirk and McCoy in a Klingon prision..The shape shifter Martia..Romulans, Klingons and Federation officers conspiring with each other to murder Chancellor Gorkon. A Bird of Prey that can fire when cloaked..And we finally get to see Sulu as Captain of his own ship..I'll never forget that opening..Wow !! It wasn't boring at all in my view..It was a great movie!

340311[/snapback]

Well said SpaceTigger! I also enjoyed the sequence with Uhura trying to translate Klingon. And Kirk fighting himself was hilarious! A great Trek film! Generations had its great moments but Undiscovered Country was better imo,

but honestly the true begining of the TNG films began with First Contact and the Enterprise-E

That's what LeVar Burton said.

340444[/snapback]

ReaLLY cool

+1 for Undiscovered Country.

I'm a TNG fan and I do like Generations, and you can't beat the Ent-D crash-landing scene (unless you count the Ent-E kamikaze crash in Nemesis), but Undiscovered Country was just a better film. In my opinion.

I like all the Trek films but the first one (yes, even Final Frontier :lol: ) and though I won't really watch TOS and love TNG, the Kirk/Spock crew movies are just better than the TNG movies. The TNG movies feel like episodes. Not that this is a bad thing, I just prefer the others as they feel more like real movies. I also appreciate how the stories are pretty well connected from Kahn through Country. But Undiscovered Country was just a really good one... and it was one of the first movies my dad took me to see in the theater.

:lol: why Generations of corse, we see kirk and some of the old cast at lest for pat of the movie and see a lot of action as well

well UDC is the pick, Beacause

Its an even number Movie!