Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

TNG: Growing old gracefully?

How do you think The Next Generation is aging? When you watch Seasons 1 and 2 what elements make you think it looks old? Overall, the look is still somewhat timeless. The pastel shades and odd use of red lcds does let it down at times. Also, whereas we now have lots of chrome, for a contemporary feel, the white plastics of the late 80s and early 90s have a cheaper feel. I think DS9 will age the least. Voyager may become a little dated when chrome goes out of fashion again.

I think it will age better than TOS did. Maybe they had that in mind when they designed everything. I even think the actors are aging better.

the main thing I notest when watching Season 1 this las week was the stop motion animation for the aliens in conspiosy now that was dated.

The Season 1 uniforms allso look bad as well

and the props are kinda dated as well the big round phaser 2s the tri corders

and then theres Troi's costumes .

mf_trek.gif

Overall I think TNG is growing old gracefully. Of course there are certain areas where it might not be. I would agree that the first and second season of TNG are probably not growing old “gracefully” compared to its other seasons, but other then that I think TNG is fine.

The only think that always sticks out in mind is the computer. During certain episodes when we see the computer screen all we see is a green screen of text.

For DS9 or VOY I don’t see them growing old gracefully as much as TNG is and will be. In many ways TNG was ahead of its time in the production of episodes. I think we see that time after time again. DS9 and VOY had some leaps of their own, but I don’t think those leaps are as great as what TNG accomplished on the TV screen.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think ENT is going to show it's age the least of the bunch

I definitely agree with that statement. ENT is going to age very well. I also think that DS9 is also going to age well.

I should warn you all now, I have a deeeep grudge against Enterprise. It's just not Star Trek!

TNG has done well with the whole "age" thing. I mean, so ok, in season 1 it did look a little old. That was just because of the tinny colour. It was still good!! And in season 3, it was back to being pretty. I love it soooo much, which is why I'm defending it.

I believe that TNG will grow old gracefully. No matter how many people may say that it is so dated, and the actors are too old looking (especially when referring to a certain 2nd Officer....but I will not go into a ranting post, so I will just pout for a moment).. I believe that throughout the 15 years of TNG, that they aged really well, and the ship and effects did really well.... OK, so I hope you will forgive me for babbling.

First two seasons aside, I think the show still looks great. And everyone is aging well, I even think Troi looks better now. Sure, Riker and Data are losing their physique, but compared to the TOS guys they are still doing well I'd say.

First two seasons aside, I think the show still looks great. And everyone is aging well, I even think Troi looks better now. Sure, Riker and Data are losing their physique, but compared to the TOS guys they are still doing well I'd say.

Run. The girls will hunt you down and kill yo for sayin that! :bow::bow::bow:

Run. The girls will hunt you down and kill yo for sayin that! :bow::bow::bow:

Prometheus you don't really think we would hurt someone do you? Bash%20Head.gif We certainly don't mind people expressing their opinions Chuck%20Ball.gif even if that opinion is different from our's Kick.gif However I do totally disagree with any suggestion that Brent Spiner has lost his physique as ~crims~ has suggested. Whip.gif

788411.jpg

master2.jpg

Personally. Sirtis isn't doesn't do it for me anymore..maybe when I was younger and fell into the producers trap of having her be the "sexy one" and just can't seem to look at her any other way now, and all I see is a gradualy getting older lady who's acting skills will always be sub-par. Spiner still looks fit, just wish he'd take more serious roles.

I remember right after Nem came out, People were saying that Brent Spiner looked fat and I kept thinking ~ either they need new glasses, or they are thinking of Jonathan Frakes ~ Soory, Jon got fat, Brent is still a GOD! :bow:

and Data rocks! :bow:

Now Nemoy....he looks OLD, but then he is! :bow:

I remember right after Nem came out, People were saying that Brent Spiner looked fat and I kept thinking ~ either they need new glasses, or they are thinking of Jonathan Frakes ~ Soory, Jon got fat, Brent is still a GOD! :bow:

and Data rocks! :bow:

Now Nemoy....he looks OLD, but then he is! :bow:

I'm not saying Brent is out of shape but I guarantee you he has put on some weight since season 1 and 2.

Yes, he has. In fact, if you look a season one, he almost looks like a kid when he was in fact in his mid 30's Now if you look at season 4, he suddenly looks like an adult. Its weird. :bow:

I think the only reason they ~calm down, you can get through this~ killed Data was because Brenty dear was getting too old!

I think the only reason they ~calm down, you can get through this~ killed Data was because Brenty dear was getting too old!

I think that a few of us will wholeheartedely disagree with that.... I think that Brent has aged really rather well, and most people I know have a hard time believing he is in his 50's(well they can believe that he is over 50 more when he is NOT portraying Data...)

I think that a few of us will wholeheartedely disagree with that.... I think that Brent has aged really rather well, and most people I know have a hard time believing he is in his 50's(well they can believe that he is over 50 more when he is NOT portraying Data...)

He is over 50? OMG I would never have guessed.

He is over 50? OMG I would never have guessed.

I do believe he turned 54 in February. I know a lot of people much younger who wished they looked as good.

Brent Looks just fine. I guess he didn't think so though.

And Besides, it's Star Trek, they can just make something up whenever they want

"Dr.Soong Gave me an Aging Program." It could work...right? :blink:

I was always wondering this, and it made a point of it in one of the dVD's commentaries, why if we are so much better and evolved so well in the future, did the most advanced ship in Starfleet need, a counselor on it, that was so late 80's!

How do you think The Next Generation is aging? When you watch Seasons 1 and 2 what elements make you think it looks old? Overall, the look is still somewhat timeless. The pastel shades and odd use of red lcds does let it down at times. Also, whereas we now have lots of chrome, for a contemporary feel, the white plastics of the late 80s and early 90s have a cheaper feel. I think DS9 will age the least. Voyager may become a little dated when chrome goes out of fashion again.

33640[/snapback]

I think that TNG has actually aged rather badly. The screen savers on the Enterprise-D aren't even as good as what we had back in the late 90's, and the tan/earthtone look is just aweful in my opinion. I like the bridge of Voyager or the Enterprise 1701A much much better. They both have a much more military feel and also they seem actually functional. By contrast the bridge of the Next Gen Enterprise looks like what it is- a set on a Paramount backlot. Also the music in the first two seasons is wayyyyy too syripy for my taste.

Then there's the obvious question: how can it be the 24th century and there still isn't a cure for friggin baldness???? :(

well The Enterprise-D wasnt really a Military ship, and maybe people arent that Vain in the Future to Worry about Baldness

I think it's aging really nicely. It's still exemplary TV, and kicks the crap out of a lot of other stuff that's on.

What also help it is that its tones are always bright, in contrast to a lot of other stuff that you can tell the age of it by the tints. Match Game is definitely 70s. You can tell just by looking at the set. Murder She Wrote, not as telling, but some defiinte signs of its time period, etc. etc. TNG, just from the appearances of set, videographic toning, etc. looks like it could have been off-network syndication from anytime in the past 15 years, including today. It doesn't look as aged. That may change, however, as technology itself progresses. I'm still on 4x3 TV myself, but perhaps it'll look so much worse on a 16x9 HDTV for me.