Sign in to follow this  
italiangirl

For people that don't think Reggie White should be on the portal

Something that shoudn't be overlooked is the awareness that this brings to sleep apnea.

That's true.

Like I said before on the condolence thread, it's very surprising and shocking when an otherwise fit and healthy sportsperson dies so suddenly.

Very sad and unfortunate.

With everything that has happened with the tragedy in Asia, I am dismayed that one lone American sportsman is on the front of this site, and not something regarding what happened in Asia.

You have fans from all over the world, surely a world event is more relavent than something stateside.

I'm sorry for Mr. White's family.  I hope they find strength in the memories they shared together.

292888[/snapback]

After reading this entire thread, I will just make a brief comment. For as much as Reggie White did for others, I think his family would be heartened by the fact that his death was mourned publicly, and not lost in obsurity due to the timing of another more horrendous tragedy. The death of a man is not diminished because he is not part of a host of over 120,000 dead. While many are a part of this huge natural disaster, death and pain are still occurring daily to many across this world, one and two and 10 at a time, and have no less worth because it is not part of something vast. ( The British poet John Donne said,"....If a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promonotire were.")

If I were a member of the White family, who happened to see that tribute to him on the portal page, I would have been filled with gratitude. If I had read some of the resentful comments made against one thoughtful acknowledgemnt of my departed loved one, while the same writers also indicated 'concern' for my ( the White) family, I would have been saddened. Those comments would seem insincere to me, since they were made after the same writers begrudged my loved one the from having that little honored spot on a message board.

With everything that has happened with the tragedy in Asia, I am dismayed that one lone American sportsman is on the front of this site, and not something regarding what happened in Asia.

You have fans from all over the world, surely a world event is more relavent than something stateside.

I'm sorry for Mr. White's family.  I hope they find strength in the memories they shared together.

292888[/snapback]

Excuse me, but Reggie White was a personal hero of mine as a child. Forgive me if I tend to use my website for things personal to me at times.

292891[/snapback]

I think i would do the same if it was my site as well,dont get me wrong it was heart breaking watching what was going on in asia,i could say its a startrek site and that topics of that nature belong on the portal and not current news events but its not my place to say that...thats my 10 cents.

While I clearly stated on his memorium thread that Reggie White's death was tragic, it wouldn't have taken much to include a brief mention regarding condolences to the disaster victims of Asia/Africa along with the portal message regarding the loss of the Grid Iron player.

If a memorium is put up on the site for one current event, then another of such a huge tragic scale shouldn't be left out. It would have shown a great deal of decency. Looking at some other sites, many of them feature some kind of message of condolence on the portal page regarding the Boxing Day Tsunami or links to various charities and relief agencies, even if they are relatively small.

Unfortunately this site wasn't one of them, which I feel reflects badly on Star Trek, since one of the underlying messages and ideals of Trek is caring about other people and having some empathy for other human beings (and more).

One of the few good things that I can see came out of this situation, is that I made my opinion clear that I found it distasteful, so at least my conscience is clear.

:laugh:

Edited by The King

While I clearly stated on his memorium thread that Reggie White's death was tragic, it wouldn't have taken much to include a brief mention regarding condolences to the disaster victims of Asia/Africa along with the portal message regarding the loss of the Grid Iron player.

294517[/snapback]

All you had to do was post something that you felt was appropriate to the situation and then PM me or one of the other Mods and ask for it to pe placed on the portal. If I had gotten a PM from you that day asking for a portal spot I'd have done it.

As it is (was) I hardly even knew what had happened over there. I rarely watch the news and rarely watch network TV. The only reason I even heard that something had happened was because my uncle had been over there in Thailand just 2 weeks earlier and my mother mentioned it to me.

For now though lets let this topic rest.

All you had to do was post something that you felt was appropriate to the situation and then PM me or one of the other Mods and ask for it to pe placed on the portal. If I had gotten a PM from you that day asking for a portal spot I'd have done it.

If you had told me that originally, I would have sent you that PM.

If you had told me that originally, I would have sent you that PM.

294529[/snapback]

Well, it's all said and done now. I think we've all said our peace and we all agree that both situations are tragic ao I'm going to close the thread now.