Sign in to follow this  
italiangirl

For people that don't think Reggie White should be on the portal

With everything that has happened with the tragedy in Asia, I am dismayed that one lone American sportsman is on the front of this site, and not something regarding what happened in Asia.

You have fans from all over the world, surely a world event is more relavent than something stateside.

I'm sorry for Mr. White's family. I hope they find strength in the memories they shared together.

With everything that has happened with the tragedy in Asia, I am dismayed that one lone American sportsman is on the front of this site, and not something regarding what happened in Asia.

You have fans from all over the world, surely a world event is more relavent than something stateside.

I'm sorry for Mr. White's family.  I hope they find strength in the memories they shared together.

292888[/snapback]

Excuse me, but Reggie White was a personal hero of mine as a child. Forgive me if I tend to use my website for things personal to me at times.

Excuse me, but Reggie White was a personal hero of mine as a child. Forgive me if I tend to use my website for things personal to me at times.

Not quite sure how a Grid Iron player can be considered "heroic". When I was a kid, I used to like John Barnes, who played for Liverpool FC. Now, he was a very talented player, but I never thought he was a "hero", and I doubt he would describe himself as one either.

Now, this may be a site you pay for, but you've opened it to other people from various nations in the world. It's very sad that this individual has passed away, and most people here, I'm sure would understand that and hopefully feel the same way.

But the fact is, that the main page on this site has a giant portrait of this guy's face on it, and it gets worse, because underneath that is a birthday greeting and portrait of frickin' Rick Berman!!! Who cares about him?

Don't you think it would be tasteful and decent to take those things down now since they've already been up for a few days, and a disaster has occured where tens of thousands of people are dead? If an NFL player died a few days before September 11th, I'm sure you would have taken down his picture and put some kind of acknowledgement up about it, so why not now?

And you're not a child anymore. When I a kid, I thought Mr.T was pretty cool, but I had a website and he died, and if a producer of a TV show had a birthday, then a major disaster occured killing thousands of people, I would use my common sense, and put something up about the disaster as I think that would be the priority.

Edited by The King

Not quite sure how a Grid Iron player can be considered "heroic". When I was a kid, I used to like John Barnes, who played for Liverpool FC. Now, he was a very talented player, but I never thought he was a "hero", and I doubt he would describe himself as one either.

Now, this may be a site you pay for, but you've opened it to other people from various nations in the world. It's very sad that this individual has passed away, and most people here, I'm sure would understand that and hopefully feel the same way.

But the fact is, that the main page on this site has a giant portrait of this guy's face on it, and it gets worse, because underneath that is a birthday greeting and portrait of frickin' Rick Berman!!! Who cares about him?

Don't you think it would be tasteful and decent to take those things down now since they've already been up for a few days, and a disaster has occurred where tens of thousands of people are dead? If an NFL player died a few days before September 11th, I'm sure you would have taken down his picture and put some kind of acknowledgement up about it, so why not now?

And you're not a child anymore. When I a kid, I thought Mr.T was pretty cool, but I had a website and he died, and if a producer of a TV show had a birthday, then a major disaster occurred killing thousands of people, I would use my common sense, and put something up about the disaster as I think that would be the priority.

292900[/snapback]

As I said, I admired Reggie White. When I posted the tribute to him I hadn't even heard about what happened in Asia. And as cold as this may sound, I don't really care about what happened over there. It doesn't touch me personally. Having 2 people that I greatly admired pass away in 1 month's time (my father and Reggie White) DOES touch me personally.

If anyone finds it inappropriate for me to use this site on occasion (very rare occasions) to express my own sorrow and grief then that's their problem. $80 per month gives me that prerogative.

As I said, I admired Reggie White. When I posted the tribute to him I hadn't even heard about what happened in Asia. And as cold as this may sound, I don't really care about what happened over there. It doesn't touch me personally. Having 2 people that I greatly admired pass away in 1 month's time (my father and Reggie White) DOES touch me personally.

If anyone finds it inappropriate for me to use this site on occasion (very rare occasions) to express my own sorrow and grief then that's their problem. $80 per month gives me that prerogative.

292904[/snapback]

:(

Wow.

I'm sorry for your loss, especially I went through that a few years ago.

My Dad died, I had to have surgery so I could walk again, and I lost my ability to have children anymore, oh and my marriage ended.

Rough patch, I agree. B) The loss of a parent is very very hard. I used to get upset with CNN, as nothing that was occuring at that time was as important as the loss I was experiencing.

But now that you know about this, don't you think you should also add the tragedy in Asia on here?

Many of your members have family over there, so it does affect them. :laugh:

I don't know you well, but it seems everyone here finds you to be a compassionate and understanding person.

Edited by italiangirl

As I said, I admired Reggie White.

That's wonderful, and I'm sure he was a very nice guy, and a decent player too.

When I posted the tribute to him I hadn't even heard about what happened in Asia.

Well, I'm sure you're aware of it now. You have TV's in America right?

And as cold as this may sound, I don't really care about what happened over there.

This is such a disgraceful statement, it's doesn't even deserve the dignity of a response, other than this brief one I've just typed.

It doesn't touch me personally.

And the death of this Grid Iron player does? What, were you his team mate or something? Did you sit next to him on the bus while travelling to games?

And what about Rick Berman, did you bake his birthday cake or help him blow out his candles?

What was your personal connection to him?

Having 2 people that I greatly admired pass away in 1 month's time (my father and Reggie White) DOES touch me personally.

Mourning your parent, I understand.

Mourning the death of a man who spent most of his life running very fast, kicking a ball, tackling others, and catching a ball, I don't understand.

If anyone finds it inappropriate for me to use this site on occasion (very rare occasions) to express my own sorrow and grief then that's their problem.

No, it shows a tremendous degree of shallowness on your part.

You place a greater emphasis on an untalented producer and a Grid Iron player than you do over the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

Which personally, I find disgusting.

$80 per month gives me that prerogative.

You're definately being overcharged.

A saleman's dream.

As I said, I admired Reggie White.

That's wonderful, and I'm sure he was a very nice guy, and a decent player too.

When I posted the tribute to him I hadn't even heard about what happened in Asia.

Well, I'm sure you're aware of it now. You have TV's in America right?

And as cold as this may sound, I don't really care about what happened over there.

This is such a disgraceful statement, it's doesn't even deserve the dignity of a response, other than this brief one I've just typed.

It doesn't touch me personally.

And the death of this Grid Iron player does? What, were you his team mate or something? Did you sit next to him on the bus while travelling to games?

And what about Rick Berman, did you bake his birthday cake or help him blow out his candles?

What was your personal connection to him?

Having 2 people that I greatly admired pass away in 1 month's time (my father and Reggie White) DOES touch me personally.

Mourning your parent, I understand.

Mourning the death of a man who spent most of his life running very fast, kicking a ball, tackling others, and catching a ball, I don't understand.

If anyone finds it inappropriate for me to use this site on occasion (very rare occasions) to express my own sorrow and grief then that's their problem.

No, it shows a tremendous degree of shallowness on your part.

You place a greater emphasis on an untalented producer and a Grid Iron player than you do over the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

Which personally, I find disgusting.

$80 per month gives me that prerogative.

You're definately being overcharged.

A saleman's dream.

292909[/snapback]

You're welcome to visit other sites around the internet.

As for who Reggie White was and what he did in his life, to say all he did was "run fast" and whatever else you said shows your ignorance of who he was. And that's ok, you are free to be ignorant of him. I am free to admire him, I am free to mourn his passing.

As for being "overcharged", I'm sure you know exactly what bandwidth costs (for 3 sites). What storage space costs, and all of the other things like the integrated chat room, the invision gallery and the domain name costs as well as the availability of email addresses and everything else that goes into the site.

Start a site, you can mourn the things and people you wish to. If they are things that I wish to mourn with you then I will. If they are things that don't interest me then I promise I won't jump down your throat for it. (Especially if your site is an entertainment based site and NOT a news/current events based site).

VBG, I can understand your grief, but the fact that there are members here who have family there, and who may have even comforted you when your father passed, that you say it doesn't matter to you, well I think you should stop posting in this matter.

It's not helping. :(

You're welcome to visit other sites around the internet.

Thankyou very much. I do.

As for who Reggie White was and what he did in his life, to say all he did was "run fast" and whatever else you said shows your ignorance of who he was.

Then who was he?

He was a Grid Iron player right?

So I was correct.

Tell me, what else did he do that I should care about?

And that's ok, you are free to be ignorant of him. I am free to admire him, I am free to mourn his passing.

Doesn't matter to me. I never watch NFL. You place greater importance on some Grid Iron player dying that a major world disaster which "you don't care about", you only make yourself look foolish.

As for being "overcharged", I'm sure you know exactly what bandwidth costs (for 3 sites).

No, I couldn't give a toss to be honest.

What storage space costs,

Nope, again, not interested.

and all of the other things like the integrated chat room,

Nah, never use that, so I don't care.

the invision gallery

Nope.

and the domain name costs as well as the availability of email addresses and everything else that goes into the site.

No. :(

Start a site, you can mourn the things and people you wish to.

No, I wouldn't waste my money on such things.

If they are things that I wish to mourn with you then I will.

How touching.

If your cowboy hat got a little shabby, would you mourn that too?

If they are things that don't interest me then I promise I won't jump down your throat for it.

That's OK.

I believe you.

(Especially if your site is an entertainment based site and NOT a news/current events based site).

Well I have no website, so that's not going to happen anyway.

Well I think the coast would be near $200 a month. And to me that a lot... in fact to me $20 is a lot money.

Start a site, you can mourn the things and people you wish to.

No, I wouldn't waste my money on such things.

If your cowboy hat got a little shabby, would you mourn that too?

292919[/snapback]

Interesting, you frequent a site that you feel is a waste of my money. As for the Cowboy hat, I haven't worn it for several years. DOn't even know where it is.

It always helps a discussion to make personal attacks, doesn't it? :(

As a person who has seen things go from bad to worse faster the the Flash could run a mile I think that we just need to stand back a sec, take a deep breath, and morn the lost no matter if it be one person or many.

As a person who has seen things go from bad to worse faster the the Flash could run a mile I think that we just need to stand back a sec, take a deep breath, and morn the lost no matter if it be one person or many.

292928[/snapback]

Agreed

After being accused of "wanting to get the last word so I locked the topic" I have reopened it.

It just saddens me to have people post personal attacks at a post that was meant to mourn someone I admired.

It just saddens me to have people post personal attacks at a post that was meant to mourn someone I admired.

292937[/snapback]

I thought personal atacks were expressly forbidden by the STF Charter anyway. Irregardless, logically, since VBG owns the site and pays for the thing then he has the final word on what gets posted. I mean, it's like someone else telling you what color to paint your house.

::awaits the dissection of his post, this has been happening to me alot lately :( ::

I understands he owns the site, but that doesn't mean I can't disgree with him.

I was accused of personal attacks, I posted nothing of the sort.

I was called "ignorant" by VBG just for offering an opinion.

I didn't like the fact that space on the portal page was being given to a deceased Grid Iron player and the birthday of TV producer and there was no mention of a disaster that's killed thousands.

That makes me ignorant?

I had already posted a condolence over the loss of this man, I even compared it to something similar that happened in a different sport.

Edited by The King

Ignorant means you don't have certain knowledge of some topic. You said you didn't know anything about Reggie White other then the fact that he was a football player.

You had (have) an ignorance about his life off the football field. At least that's the view you've put forward.

Ignorance isn't an insult.

ig·no·rant    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (gnr-nt)

adj.

Lacking education or knowledge.

Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

Unaware or uninformed

Obviously I don't know what he was like off the football field, because I never knew the man.

I never spent any time with him in his personal life, so obviously I don't know what he was like.

That's not ignorance in the context you used the word to describe me.

You attached it in a negative context.

If you think I was being ignorant by not having an detailed knowledge of the personal life of a Grid Iron player, then you were being ignorant by showing zero amount of empathy or sensitivity to the deaths of thousands.

Which one can be considered worse is a matter of opinion.

And my opinion is different from yours.

Edited by The King

The king, I just went back and looked at the topic about the tsunami and your first post is about how you could cause a argument and after that you brought in how you thought there was no god. And you weren't in mourning.

The king, I just went back and looked at the topic about the tsunami and your first post is about how you could cause a argument and after that you brought in how you thought there was no god. And you weren't in mourning.

Actually, I posted that "I could say something, but it would cause an argument" and I posted what I wanted to say, and it was switched to another thread and a discussion ensued.

The thread concerning the actual quake is still active and I made no further posts on there.

The only thing I said to Kevin was a comment comparing how a highly visible inamimate object would be comparable to devoting space on the portal to the birthday of a producer and a Grid Iron players death who few if any here had any connection with.

And that was after some (IMO) some disgraceful comments were posted by him.

That's all.

Normally, I wouldn't object who was on the portal, but the fact is that a major disaster has occured and it's absurd that no mention is given to it while space is given to two other examples of current events.

Edited by The King

My point is that you did not say that you were mourning for the victims there. And yet when somebody else does not you begin to make comments about what they do and how it should be changed.

But what really upsets me is that you are like O VBG I think you should not have Rick Bermans birthday and Reggie white memorial on the Portal because I think that we should do what I say. Yet when you have the chance to mourn for the people effected for this you don't but post "I could say something, but it would cause an argument" And than go debate about what you said in another topic!

*Edit* Just checked what you had for your "home page" and they don't even make any reference to the tsunami. I think there were probally some british people in their yet the only person they talk about who died was some member of the british nobility.

Edited by Rivendells_king

My point is that you did not say that you were mourning for the victims there.

What need is there for me to say that? That should go without saying. Of course I am deeply saddened and shocked by what happened. I don't need to say that.

And yet when somebody else does not you begin to make comments about what they do and how it should be changed.

Of course I did. I have every right to disagree with someone's comments. Just because I say that in the interests of good taste the comments are inappropriate, doesn't mean they will be changed.

But what really upsets me is that you are like VBG I think you should not have Rick Bermans birthday and Reggie white memorial on the Portal because I think that we should do what I say.

I don't like the fact that the Grid Iron player and the TV producer take up space on the portal and nothing is given to the Asian disaster. I haven't told anyone they must do it. VBG is perfectly within his right to devote space to whom he chooses. But I have the right to say "I don't like it and don't agree with it". I am not compelled by anyone to agree with someone if I don't wish to.

Yet when you have the chance to mourn for the people effected for this you don't but post "I could say something, but it would cause an argument" And than go debate about what you said in another topic! 

Like I said, I saw no need to offer my feelings of sadness because any human being would be saddened by the sudden death of thousands of innocent people.

The debate did not take place in that thread.

BTW- I was accused of ignorance of Reggie White, so I've just looked him up:

He was a Grid Iron player for a number of teams: Ok then, that's fair enough.

He was religious and churchgoing: Alright, nothing different from millions of other people in the world, but that's fine for him.

He was married with children: Again, very nice. But so what?

He was opposed to homosexuality: OK, that's his personal choice.

And that's it.

Nothing exceptional.

Edited by The King

You had all of about 60 minutes to "look him up", he was an ordained minister that did countless things for the community. Both public and private. I have followed his career, both professionally and personally for 20 years. He was more then "exceptional".

To say he was "nothing exceptional" shows (forgive the term) ignorance of what his life was and what he did. I find that to be just as offensive as you said my lack of concern for the disaster in Asia was to you.

Edit* Just checked what you had for your "home page" and they don't even make any reference to the tsunami.

That's right. Because it's a site relating to information concerning the British Monarchy. Each member of the family probably has their own sites. I don't know, I've never visited them.

I think there were probally some british people in their yet the only person they talk about who died was some member of the british nobility.

The Home Office will deal with such matters relating to information for families who are concerned over their loved ones.

You had all of about 60 minutes to "look him up",

So? What difference does that make? I don't need to follow any time constraints.

he was an ordained minister that did countless things for the community. Both public and private.

Again so what? A man doesn't become a minister to receive accolades from others. He does it because he chooses to help his community.

I have followed his career, both professionally and personally for 20 years. He was more then "exceptional".

That's wonderful.

To say he was "nothing exceptional" shows (forgive the term) ignorance of what his life was and what he did.

I can't research any more personal details into his life. What he did in his private life is of course private. All the things he has done are also done by many other people. It does not IMO mark him out as exceptional. He may have been a great Grid Iron player and so are many others I'm sure.

I find that to be just as offensive as you said my lack of concern for the disaster in Asia was to you.

Well, that is of course your right to be offended. Now you know how I felt.

Dear god I am so dumb!

I thought it was a site for the royal family and I was thinking that maybe the Queen made a comment about the tsunami and they might have posted it there.

Sorry about that.

Dear god I am so dumb!

No, you're not dumb.

I thought it was a site for the royal family

Well, it's an information site concerning it's history and such.

and I was thinking that maybe the Queen made a comment about the tsunami and they might have posted it there.

As far as I can see, they haven't, but the British government which acts technically on behalf on the Queen have already expressed condolences and are sending rescue and aid relief and so forth.

Sorry about that.

No problem.