Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Reggie White

post-1-1104100808.jpg

I was saddened at the news that Reggie White passed away today. He was the greatest Defensive End in NFL history in my opinion, he was also my favorite player of any over the years.

post-1-1104280974.jpg

God Bless you, Revrend! He was indeed the best Defensive End of all time, and the Eagles made a big mistake getting rid of him. He will be sorely missed by Football fans everywhere, not just those in Packerland and Philly.

He certainly was a great player in both cities..I must say that I am a little dismayed at those dates..He was only 43 ?! :(

:( Although I'm not a fan of football. It's very sad that someone died in the prime of life at age 43. Was he ill for a long time? Was his passing a result of an accident? Or did God simply call him home suddenly? Whatever the occurance was I pray that his family and friends find comfort in his passing and cherish the joy his life brought to them. 'Tears cleanse the soul of sorrow.' Crystal. Edited by BlueCrystal

As far as I know he wasn't ill. His death is a shock (to me).

And trust me Jim, the Eagles didn't get rid of him. The owner back then was just too cheap to pay out the money to keep him. It's my hope that the Eagles will do the right thing and retire his Jersey.

I grew up watching him. A lot of family on my mom's side is from Wisconsin, so I grew up around Packers football.

He was a wonderful football player as well as a wonderful person off the field. And this deeply saddens myself & my mother. He will be deeply missed.

:( B)

I, too, am shocked and saddened by the untimely loss of Reggie White, one truly great athlete and tremendous role model. He certainly is heads above his peers, not just for his athletic ability, but even moreso for his unwaivering moral integrity. Sadly, too many of today's big name athletes allow the prestige and wealth of their success to taint their own character. No need for me to name names.

I was just watching the news and the Green Bay stations are reporting that Reggie died from a respitory problem associated with sleep apnia. It is a sad day here in the GB area. He will be missed.

Even though I never watch sports except the Olympics, or when I'm forced to, it is quite sad that anyone could die at the age of 43.

A year or so ago, a footballer called Marc Vivien Foe, who used to play for Manchester City FC, dropped dead in the middle of a match.

He was much younger than Reggie White.

It is surprising that these athletes die so young. :(

I was just watching the news and the Green Bay stations are reporting that Reggie died from a respitory problem associated with sleep apnia. It is a sad day here in the GB area. He will be missed.

292704[/snapback]

Yeah, I heard that earlier today. Norm suffers from the same condition but he has a special machine that he uses at night to ensure he keeps breathing.

As for Reggie being a Packer, well to me he never was a Packer. He will always be an Eagle, the Packers were just an unfortunate bump in his career. Kind of like if Bret Favre were to leave Green Bay and play for the Eagles. He'd never really be an Eagle.

Reggie will always have wings.

As far as I know he wasn't ill. His death is a shock (to me).

And trust me Jim, the Eagles didn't get rid of him. The owner back then was just too cheap to pay out the money to keep him. It's my hope that the Eagles will do the right thing and retire his Jersey.

292654[/snapback]

Green Bay has been for some time planning on retiring his jersey. I think without playing for either team, Reggie would never have been the great that he was. Alot of the milestones he set, he set with both teams. and he really turned the Packers around from a second rate team to one that is a fearsome force.

As the football fan in my house I'm shocked! He a bit older than me but sleep apnea, like my hubby has, is evil! It is nerve racking to hear them breathe then not breathe for a while then start again (if I don't thump him first!)! :msn-oh:

I had the pleasure, when I was still living in Wisconsin, of being able to watch Reggie play in Lambeau. As a football defensive end, there were none better, but what I remember best, is how, on thew way off the field, he would stop and talk to the numerous fans that had disabilities that the Packers would allow on the sideline next to the wall under the first row of seats. The fact that he would take the time to talk to these fans after spending the last three hours beating up an opposing team, spoke more to me than the amount of sacks he got each game. I'm sure both the Eagles and the Packers will buck the NFL's suggestion and retire his numbers in both places anyway. He may have been an Eagle first in his NFL career, but it was in Green Bay that he won the championship that the Eagles could never give him. Because of this, I believe he will enter the Hall of Fame as a Packer. But also, the NFL should also recognize the two years he spent in the USFL as a member of the Memphis Showboats, and add the twenty plus sacks he achieved there as part of his final total. Bruce Smith may have been good but he will never be as good as Reggie was and as far as I'm concerned, is still the sacks leader. May his soul find peace and the fufillment of his search for the truth that he never found in this life. His life touched many and not just on the football field. A great player he was, but he was an ever better human being.

Well until I saw this I really didn't know who Reggie White was, but it is sad that anyone like that had die.

I'm posting this video of the opening of the last Monday Night Football game of the season for some people at the Eagles message board that wanted to see it.