Sign in to follow this  
Kaileron

Asia Quake

I would all like to point out to this post where I put up some links concerning the most important topics about this devestating event.

I am watching stunned and in horror at the disastrous events taken place in South East Asia.

All countries have asked for international assistance but that help will come late for a lot of people. There are at least 3000 people dead but that figure is most likely to rise into the tens of thousands of deads according to some sources...

The earthquake was 8,9 on the richterscale making it the heaviest tremor since decades.

The costs of India, Sri Lanka, the Maledives, Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Maleisia... all have been heavily damaged or even completely destroyed...

Thank you for the links Kaileron, I'm reading them to Robert at work since he hasn't had a chance to watch the news today. I'm not sure what to say either. Those poor people. :(

Thank you for the links Kaileron, I'm reading them to Robert at work since he hasn't had a chance to watch the news today. I'm not sure what to say either. Those poor people.  :(

292565[/snapback]

You are welcome, the death toll is now over twelve thousand and that is a carefull number since it will most likely rise... some sources even claim around twenty thousand.

Sidenote: this quake happened exactly one year af the Bam earthquake in Iran wich killed around 30.000 people in a matter of seconds. But that quake was only 6,5 on the Richter Scale, this was 8.9... B)

The only thing I can say is "May God help and guide them through this difficult time. Help them find anyone who lost during the earthquack."

I did my 7th grade nation report on Bangladesh. Most of the nation is with in 20 feet of see level and already gets heavey rains in its wet season that would make a rain storm in Washington state look like a little spray of mist.

Click For Spoiler
Hmmm, I could say something here, but it would just cause an argument.

:(

292584[/snapback]

Well, can't you make your post about it in the Qo'nos section? Then people can decide whether to read it or not.

Personally, I enjoy a good debate.

Well I was thinking. When a major natural disaster occurs, why do people say "God will help the poor people who suffered.....etc etc........"?

Why don't they say "If God didn't send the earthquake and the following tsunami in the first instance, then no one would have died?"

Edited by The King

King, I knew that was what you are going to say - and I really think that should go in a different topic. This is a thread about an horrific incident and IMO - out of respect for those suffering - we should not turn it into a argument about the nature of God and the purpose of life. However, once it is moved to Kronos I will have a response.

Well I was thinking. When a major natural disaster occurs, why do people say "God will help the poor people who suffered.....etc etc........"?

Why don't they say "If God didn't send the earthquake and the following tsunami in the first instance, then no one would have died?"

292603[/snapback]

You know, that is a most insightfull comment. B)

King, I knew that was what you are going to say - and I really think that should go in a different topic. This is a thread about an horrific incident and IMO - out of respect for those suffering - we should not turn it into a argument about the nature of God and the purpose of life. However, once it is moved to Kronos I will have a response.
But the hunter is most likely right, we can save this discussion about God in the Qo'nos section where I would be most happy to participate. I doubt people will apreciate it if it took place in this topic :laugh: Edited by Kaileron

King, I knew that was what you are going to say - and I really think that should go in a different topic.

That's why I was hesitant to post it. I only bothered mentioning it after seeing a preceding post.

Of course it's tragic news, I don't think anyone sane would argue with that. :(

Edited by The King

292603[/snapback]

God didn't send the earthquake that followed by a tsunami. It's the natural course of our planet. When there is too much pressure in the plant tectonics will move. This pressure must be released in form of an earthquake or volcano eruption. If the pressure in the planet weren’t released the results would be unthinkable. The earthquake happens near the ocean, which caused the tsunami. Tsunamis are very dangerous, because there is very little warning and little time to get away from one. This is how our planet operates. We are just on it for the ride. We need to learn how to live it better and not allow more people to die from them. These earthquakes happen in the past and will happen in the future. God can't stop something that He place in motion.

I'm fully aware of what causes earthquakes and tsunami.

I don't believe they are sent from God because as an Atheist, I do not believe that a god exists.

What I was commenting on, is I find it a contradiction that people would need the blessings of a hypothetical god to locate the missing victims of the disaster, when presumably, the all powerful hypothetical god who created the universe sent the earthquake and disaster in the first place.

If a god existed (for arguments sake), then surely being all powerful, he would prevent such a disaster?

You posted this earlier:

May God help and guide them through this difficult time. Help them find anyone who lost during the earthquack [sic].

Why would they need his help and guidance AFTER the disaster to look for the lost?

Why wouldn't he have just prevented the disaster before it happened?

If he's was the creator of all things, he created the planet and it's earthquakes and tsunami, and being all-wise he would know that at some point an earthquake would hit on Boxing Day 2004, create a tsunami and kill thousands of innocent people?

God can't stop something that He place in motion.

The alleged god can't stop something???

So, he's not all-powerful?

He created the universe and can't or won't stop an earthquake?

Edited by The King

I started a separate post about God and disaster because it just bothers me to continue this argument here.

I do pray God will comfort those that suffer because they are alive and suffering.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I'm fully aware of what causes earthquakes and tsunami.

I don't believe they are sent from God because as an Atheist, I do not believe that a god exists.

What I was commenting on, is I find it a contradiction that people would need the blessings of a hypothetical god to locate the missing victims of the disaster, when presumably, the all powerful hypothetical god who created the universe sent the earthquake and disaster in the first place.

If a god existed (for arguments sake), then surely being all powerful, he would prevent such a disaster?

You posted this earlier:

May God help and guide them through this difficult time. Help them find anyone who lost during the earthquack [sic].

Why would they need his help and guidance AFTER the disaster to look for the lost?

Why wouldn't he have just prevented the disaster before it happened?

If he's was the creator of all things, he created the planet and it's earthquakes and tsunami, and being all-wise he would know that at some point an earthquake would hit on Boxing Day 2004, create a tsunami and kill thousands of innocent people?

God can't stop something that He place in motion.

The alleged god can't stop something???

So, he's not all-powerful?

He created the universe and can't or won't stop an earthquake?

292659[/snapback]

Personally, I believe in the ancient story where you set up what will occur in your lifetime before your soul comes to join your body.

Therefore, those who sacrificed their lifes today, did so according to their life plan.

Today's earthquake and tidal waves were long ago set in motion, and these people today just fulfilled part of their destiny.

God is not intentionally cruel.

He works with us, not against us.

sad news. I learnt of it when the TV station I work for didnt close down overnight...we aired the breaking news from the BBC - 1am our time.

Such devastation.

The earthquake that caused the tsunami was the largest since a 9.2 temblor hit Prince William Sound in Alaska in 1964, according to geophysicist Julie Martinez of the U.S. Geological Survey.

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

The quake occurred at a place where several huge geological plates push against each other with massive force. The survey said a 620-mile section along the boundary of the plates shifted, motion that triggered the sudden displacement of a huge volume of water.

The earthquake's struck a particular chord here in my household. My parents are from Sri Lanka, and we've got at least 20 relatives who're still there. We've lost contact with all except for my grandparents, who are thankfully fine.

I was in Malaysia at the time of the quake, and actually felt the tremors. They were light, I'll admit, but I was terrified out of my wits.

My dad used to go diving in Maldives, and he personally knows a few of the people there.

I don't know what to say. I can hear people singing hymns outside my window, and even that's starngely comforting right now.

Death toll: 23500... B)

What a horrible catastrophe... especially that it will rise only more the comming days... :(

I heard some where that near 1000 km of the sea floor moved and with this earthquake being a 9.0 it is tied for 4th place for the high recorded magnitude earthquake. The other four in order are: Chile 9.5 May 22, 1960, Prince William Sound, Alaska 9.2 March 28, 1964, Andreanof Islands, Alaska 9.1 March 9, 1957, and Kamchatka 9.0 November 4, 1952. As you can see the four quakes happen in the Pacific in what is know as the Ring Of Fire. Most of the Earth's earthquake actived happens in the area do to the massive Pacific plate most against the North American plate, Cocos plate, Nazca plate, Antarctic plate, Indian-Australian plate, Earasain plate, and a few smaller ones also. The earthquake yesterday happened along the Earasian plate and the Indian-Australian plate near the Java Trench.

(Hugh picture:)

Click For Spoiler
tectonic_plates.gif
Edited by Alterego

From a report in today's Wall Stree Journal

"In records going back to 1509, most tsunamis spawned in the Indian Ocean have had only one run-up," or have hit in only one place, says oceanographer Eddie Bernard, director of the Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, Seattle, part of the U.S. Department of Commerce. "There do not seem to be any tsunamis that were Indian Ocean-wide."

"after-shocks" of the tsunami were felt along Western Australia's coast line, as far away as ~450km. Cars in Bunbury are usually parked 3-4m from the waters edge, people i know went for a walk - 20 mins later, the car's tyres were submerged by risen water.