Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

OK to wear other cultures's traditional dress?

Is it okay to wear traditional clothing from other cultures  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to wear traditional clothing from other cultures

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll have to think about this

I think I had this question pop up in a dream but it is something I've thought about before. Americans don't really have a traditional dress (maybe jeans and t-shirt) but many other cultures do. Some cultures are being overrun by "Western Dress" like the business suit for men.

Some traditional clothing is beautiful and some looks a lot more comfortable than American clothing but I think there are some real social barriers to wearing clothing that isn't from your own cultural identity - whatever that is. (I mean if I go back a few generations I have ancestors from much of Western Europe and Native America but I personally don't have any distinct cultural identity)

So what do you think. I think the barriers are there although I'm not sure they should be.

I think it is ok, as long as it is done in good taste and preferably if that culture is in your heritage.

I have worn traditional dress for certain occasions for two of my ancestries (Norway & Germany), and will later begin wearing a dress more standard for Irish step dance(when I go up into the advanced adult division, more than likely)...which is also ok because I am part Irish on both sides of my family as well. In my case, 9 cultures/nations make up my heritage on my mom's side and 3 on my dad's(though these three are actually repeats of my mom's side)

Yes it is ok. A lot of countries have lost their traditional dress. Some don't have any. For instance, the big cities in China have floods of business people in suits. You don't see traditional dress if you go to the big cities. If you go to the smaller cities you will find no western attire. I think that these cultural exchanges are important.

I've worn a kilt, but I am in no way scottish. I don't think it is offensive. I'm not offended if a non-Chinese wears traditional Chinese attire.

I don't see any problems with it. I've got Scottish roots and the kilt is certainly worn by many non-Scots. I would hope most people would be flattered that you think enough of their culture to wear something representing it.

Even though I am an American I can't ignore where my ancestors came from, and that is Ireland, France, Germany, Poland, and Russia. Doing so I would lose some of my culturial identity.

Merry Christmas!

:hug:

Edited by Odie

I don't think people usually notice if a person of European ancestry wears traditional dress from some European nation. Generally you don't wear a kilt or a dirndl, for example, except for special occasions - even in those countries.

But what about being of European descent and wearing non European clothing - such as traditional Native American dress. Or what if the dress is still contemporary for others such as a sari or African dress? I know in the sixties we had clothing that imitated clothing from India (remember Nehru jackets?) but overall do you feel there is a difference in these cases?

actually I'd love for other people to imitate what my culture or background wears. It gives you a feeling of a cultural melting pot.

Being station in Japan I have seen many traditional clothes. There are ceremonies where it is polite to wear the local traditional dress. The Japanese have no problems it. In fact they encourage it, because it shows respect for their culture.

The way I see it, if walking around with a 2-foot purple mohawk and a million and one piercings is acceptable, then you wear anything you want.

It's too bad that some companies don't allow multiple piercings. It's also to bad, IMHO, that more men don't wear kilts! A few years ago, I saw a man in his early 20's wearing both a kilt and a red mohawk! Didn't look too bad, either. :hug:

I have a friend who just got his kilt. He was very happy that he got one. I wonder if will wear it when we might in San Diego. :hug:

I'll go with the when in Rome stance. Actually, I tend to wear blue jeans and sweaters but on Sunday I wear a dress. I work with a lady from India and I love her manner of clothing, one time she brought in her little daughter that she dresses in the traditional Indian fashion and how I wish Daniel and I could visit different cultures and dress accordingly. Daniel won't ever take me to India but Germany isn't out of the question being that I have family there. (Distant cousins possibly my genealogy work will make it clearer someday.)

I'll go with the when in Rome stance. Actually, I tend to wear blue jeans and sweaters but on Sunday I wear a dress.  I work with a lady from India and I love her manner of clothing, one time she brought in her little daughter that she dresses in the traditional Indian fashion and how I wish Daniel and I could visit different cultures and dress accordingly.  Daniel won't ever take me to India but Germany isn't out of the question being that I have family there.  (Distant cousins possibly my genealogy work will make it clearer someday.)

292576[/snapback]

I want to go to Germany! Both me and my fiance have family in Germany. I also want to go to other places that I have family (Ireland, England, Austria, Russia, and, I think, Portugal).