Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

Be nice to the Pizza Guy....

I work full time as an assistant manager at a Domino's Pizza store here in Illinois. Tonight I ended up delivering from about 4 in the afternoon till about half an hour ago. I took 20 deliveries, and made about 40 bucks. Sure, 40 bucks sounds nice. but I get paid $1 per delivery I take as mileage, the rest was tips. So, as you can see, I had a pretty bad night in tips. Now, the reason for this post? If you want the local pizza place to actually deliver to you, please tip the drivers. and not just pizza drivers, either. Tip anyone delivering any kind of food to you. after all, they are using THEIR gas, and many times, THEIR car to bring you YOUR food. and most of em are lucky to get paid more than about 4 bucks an hour, so the tips are their livelyhood. So, in the spirit of the season, don't be afraid to give the Pizza guy a 5 buck tip.

PS: By the way, I had to deliver in VERY cold weather, which makes it even worse. Remember: Drivers have to brave the elements to bring you your food, you get to stay in your warm home...So, please, have a heart and tip the poor fellas.

Edited by Gary_Phaserman

We don't have food delivered too often, but when we do, we always give $5.00 tips, because it's so nice to have hot food delivered right to our door, and all we have to do is sit and eat.

As a former manager in the foodservice industry, I always give generous tips, especially when the service is beyond expectations.

I also take the time to individually thank servers and other waitstaff that go out of their way to give good service. We had our company party tonight at a local restaurant and I thanked each person individually on the way out the door for their hospitality. It's amazing how far a few words of thanks will go.

I once went into our dumpster to attempt to locate a lost retainer for a panicked customer. When I didn't end up finding it after two hours of going through everything, I called the customer and instead of getting a thank you, was chewed out because of *our* carelessness! I mean, we were so old and callous that I actually climbed around in garbage in an attempt to help. How evil am I? :unsure:

Nice to know that the STF family is generous. I think what pissed me off the most about tonight was that I was driving my truck, with is an 88 Chevy 3500, which gets about 8 miles to the gallon with a generous tail wind...40 bucks is probably enough to fill half my tank, if that. and by the end of the night, I was running on almost Empty....

I always make sure I tip the server or delivery driver. if I don't have enough for a tip, I pick it up (and even then usually drop a buck or two) or go to McDonalds.

It's not that I'm afraid to give 5 dollar tips, I'm just cheap :unsure:

The last pizza guy I had I gave about one fitty tip.

I tip, but how much I tip depends on my budget. If I'm tight on money, I'll round the price up to the next 5 and say keep the change. If my budget isn't tight, I'll add $5 on top of that.

We always tip well and they've always been very nice to us in return. Our pizza is always delivered in about 15 minutes and they've given us free pizza, chicken and breadsticks (each on different orders) and the reason they said for why we got those was because we're nice, regular customers. You treat people nice and they'lll treat you nice.

OK, now I feel like such a bad person. I tip waiters/waitresses, but not delivery people. I do have a justification for that though, around here your charged between a 3 to 5 dollar delivery charge to have anything delivered and when I order food I pretty much have just enough to cover the order.

In holland you pay the price for the pizza, getting it delivered alway costs extra, and i you live(like me ) in a small villige (nearest city is 15 km away) you have to pay more for it, tey charge 5 euro,s extra for it.

oh we have take-aways but ya know when you give 'em tips now and again? i thought my dad gave him fags instead! (my dad doesn't smoke)

Mom hates ordering pizza because she thinks it is way too expensive, and Dad always cooks what he eats, so when we get pizza delivered, it is normally just my sister and I home alone and too lazy to make Minute Rice. LOL Anyhow, by that point we are running around the house screaming things like, "Do you have a twenty?" "I though you were going to pay for it; I paid last time!" and it turns into a gigantic nightmare. So... we try. Sorry to any pizza delivery guys who feel we have not given enough in tips out there.

I have sympathy for you.

I live in Illinois too, and yesterday was the coldest, most brutal day so far this winter! ;)

Just walking from the building in which I work out to my car was so brutal. When I got home I took a shower and my hands and face tingled from being cold. :laugh:

I always tip $5 or more, and since I order pizza weekly from the same place, I am actually on a first name basis with some of the drivers. They know me and get the food to my house fast and hot, and then I give them a bigger tip!! :unsure:

They've got me pegged. :o :laugh:

It is hit and miss with tipping for me... It is an extra charge to have pizza delivered anyways (according to one place my family will order from, it is to cover the cost of the driver's gas....and they are also not allowed to ask for tips because of this, they can accept them but it is not a required thing).

And I have had a few times where a delivery guy/girl will say: "Sorry, I do not have change for the $20. But thank YOU for this generous tip!" The bill would have been for anywhere from $8 to $18, the couple dollars is ok I guess to let slip.....but $12?! I think not. And when I asked for my change they refused until I pulled out my phone and began dialing their manager. To which I would get them begging me to hang up and not speak to their superior's, they'd quickly hand me my change and haul butt out of my driveway. I tip at all resteraunts...however, delivery people....well it depends on their attitudes, and which store we order from.

It all depends on the service, get the food here quickly and you will be richly rewarded, fart around taking your sweet time and you will receive the standard buck.

A bit of an ettiquete lesson: Most companies that charge a delivery charge give the money from the delivery charge to the driver. also, some companies will add gratuity for orders larger than, say, 10 pizzas. (Trust me, it's a welcome thing, because ten pizzas can be VERY heavy) in these cases, generally a larger tip isn't required. the Driver is still getting paid for making the delivery. Also: Alot of the bigger name places, such as Domino's (whom I work for), Pizza Hutt, and Papa John's don't normally have a delivery charge, except in a few certain areas where the store is located in a more rural area, where some deliveries take up to 15 minutes just to get there.

And I always make jokes at work to make sure my drivers are smiling and in a good mood. if they are in a good mood, I've found, they generally get better tips.

Now, may I ask you, the general public a question? What is it about bad weather that makes people want to order pizza more? I've noticed in the four years I've worked for Domino's that when it rains or snows, it's busier. whassupwitdat?

Now, may I ask you, the general public a question? What is it about bad weather that makes people want to order pizza more? I've noticed in the four years I've worked for Domino's that when it rains or snows, it's busier. whassupwitdat?

290825[/snapback]

I do not know, maybe it is just the dreary weather that makes people less inclined to drive out to a sit down(or even fast food) resteraunt or even make a home cooked meal. It is gloomy to people are gloomy.

I know that we have done such a thing, especially since when it rained(usually if it was on a Friday evening) we would travel to a Italian resteraunt to have pizza and salad. The salad dressing there was homemade and beyond awesome :unsure: THis place was owned by friends of my family.

Sadly the store shut down, and now it is just a case where we have to order pizza (and usually from two places that are also owned by family friends...I know my sister & my brother in law are on first name basis with one, and my family & I are on first name basis with the other. THe third is occasionally will be Domino's- and ours I believe does charge the delivery fee).

When we order pizza, (it's rare because I like to cook Daniel homecooked meals) I usually tip 3-5 dollars. $3 if Daniel is watching me on the security camera and $5 if I know he's busy and not watching. :unsure: Daniel is a little tight with the cash.

My mom or I are genorous and like to talk about the local pizza guys. Usually they're really nice. :unsure:

Tipping is not a custom here in Australia, but i have heard of some ppl giving a bit extra for great service.

Most pizza places here charge extra to deliver ( and extra for chicken.. :unsure: )

I already mentioned my method of tipping. I forgot to include that the delivery person's attitude. Once I ordered a pizza. ABout 40 minutes later, the pizza guy finally arrived. To total was just under $14. I was annoyed that I had to wait for 40 minutes for my pizza (the Pizza Hut was only 2 blocks away, and that was besides the usual 25 minute or whatever it is cooking time), so I only gave him $15. He gave me my pizza and stood there for a couple seconds. So I asked him if anything was wrong. He said, "Well, what about my tip?" WHAT?! He expected a tip for lousy service! So I asked him where my change was.

The next time I ordered a pizza, it arrived in half an hour after I ordered it. The deliver person (a girl this time) apparently didn't like the guy that delivered to me last time, because she told me that he remembered me and told her that I was a jerk. We had a good laugh over it and I gave her $25. ($17 for the pizza, and the rest was her tip.)

The point is, if you're nice and friendly, and service is good, you'll get a decent tip. Heck, even if service isn't very good, but the delivery person is still nice, I'll give a decent tip. But if I get some major attitude, forget about it.

I always tip the pizza guy cuz he gets it to my house fast...but also when i call i just have to say my name and nothing else,they know what my order is and where i live with out me saying a word...now thats service :elephant:

I always tip the pizza guy cuz he gets it to my house fast...but also when i call i just have to say my name and nothing else,they know what my order is and where i live with out me saying a word...now thats service :elephant:

291127[/snapback]

That sounds like me at the bar I used to go to! :clap: