Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Can You Do The Vulcan Hand Greeting?

Can you do the vulcan hand salute?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do the vulcan hand salute?

• yes
    • no

Well...I can't. :naughty: I try and try and I never can do it. I think it must have something to do with the way my hands are made. I've walked up to fans and non fans alike and asked them if they could do it and they do it without a sweat and I sit here and try and try and can't do it. I was just wondering if anyone here has the same problem. I just hope I don't run into any Vulcans in my life time, I won't be able to return the greeting gesture. :drool:

OK, last Sunday I was driving to a friend's house when somebody honked his horn at me. I didn't cut him off or anything, he just honked his horn when he passed me.

So I looked in his direction and he was flashing me the Vulcan hand signal, all because I have a "Ferengi School of Business" bumper sticker on my car.

What the heck does that mean? Are there "random acts of Trekness"?

Yes, I can do that greeting. With both hands (I know, one uses the right hand, but what if a person is left-handed? :naughty: ).

Yep... with both hands. Can also raise both eyebrows (individually) LOL

286078[/snapback]

I can raise my brows too. I have been told that when I do that I look like the Rock from WWE.

Guest Mike_Hines01

Yes, I can do it with both hands.

Yea, I can do it too. I can do all kinds of interesting things with my hands. :naughty:

Does anyone know what the handsign means? Is it symbolic? Just curious. :drool:

Both hands. Can do the eyebrow thing with both eyebrows. Can also wriggle ears. Can do really good borg voice or so I'm told...

Yea, I can do it too. I can do all kinds of interesting things with my hands.  :naughty:

Does anyone know what the handsign means? Is it symbolic? Just curious. :drool:

286119[/snapback]

From an article/interview with Leonard Nimoy:

During an episode that took the crew of the starship Enterprise back to the Vulcan home world, Nimoy, looking for a way to develop the Vulcan culture, came up with a Vulcan greeting with his fingers spread in the middle.

He saw people use it years earlier during a Jewish ceremony when he was growing up in Boston. It was a letter in the Hebrew alphabet and the first letter in the words for God and peace.

"It was a magical gesture," he said. "It wasn't explained to me, but I was struck by it."

And yes I can.

I practiced until I could do it easily with both hands when I first started watching Star Trek. Now, to learn the eyebrow thing...

It is also used by Jesuit Monks for something. I forgot what. I'll ask my friend again.

I can do it easily with both hands. I had to patrice it, but it just took me a few weeks to do it.

Edited by Odie

Yes i can do it with both hands..Taylah..( my four year old ) can do it too....much to her dads displeasure..... :laugh:

post-763-1102330242.jpg

but i cant do the eyebrow thing to save myself.!!!

:laugh: