Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What should Montgomery think?

Here's a quote from A. Montgomery trektoday

He says he isn't too worried about renewal but of all the cast members he should be really annoyed. I've rewatched a couple of season one ep's and he had a lot more lines then than he does now.

It is so painfully obvious that Sevtrek makes jokes about it

s705.jpg

Actually, I think someone else on this board coined the phrase "The Archer and T'Pol show" which it has mostly been the last two seasons and those two are so boring on screen together. I guess he really got as much screen time as any of the other characters (aside from Archer T'Pol) this last week.

But he seems awfully good natured about it.

I think it's difficult to work with Travis because they pushed the space-boomer, born on a cargo frieghter arc about as far as it can go.

I'd like to see Travis get involved in the plot some how, maybe something with his brother again. I kind of like the idea of him making kind of a foolish decision and having to live with the repurcussions of it like an injury or an addiction might be something to try out. He's always seemed like a goody-good lets rough him up a bit.

I've always wanted the writers to add more to Travis's character. He would be a good person to make a "day in the life of " episode. That would be a good chances to add some character pieces to him.

Sorry to have to say this but I think a lot has to do with the bland and non-descript way the role is played. Chekov and Sulu brought such character to their small parts that the writers had plenty of ammunition to work with and naturally gave them more. Mayweather simply isn't interesting enough for a writer to want to waste time developing. In that episode 'Horizon' it was the brother that stamped his character on the story not Travis. This hole has been four years in the digging - it's difficult to see how he can get out of it now. Right off the bat if he'd have brought something like say a little too much cockiness to the character - the I've been in space longer than any of you and I know best - it might have given the writers something to work with.

Travis really needs to be in more shows. I'd like to see him as a "bad boy" :rolleyes: once in a while.

Sorry to have to say this but I think a lot has to do with the bland and non-descript way the role is played. Chekov and Sulu brought such character to their small parts that the writers had plenty of ammunition to work with and naturally gave them more. Mayweather simply isn't interesting enough for a writer to want to waste time developing. In that episode 'Horizon' it was the brother that stamped his character on the story not Travis. This hole has been four years in the digging - it's difficult to see how he can get out of it now. Right off the bat if he'd have brought something like say a little too much cockiness to the character - the I've been in space longer than any of you and I know best - it might have given the writers something to work with.

285675[/snapback]

And I disagree that he has to be flamboyant in some way. There were some interesting character traits that were conveyed in the first season that are consistent with a more subtle personality, who nevertheless relishes adventure (like rock-climbing).

For instance he tells ghost stories, and plays practical jokes ( remember when Hoshi was hoping his 'death' was just another one of his practical jokes?). Those are not agressive traits, but more subtle traits.

I don't think he has to be anyone but the low-key officer he is.....there are a variety of personalities in any group of people.

I think some of his acting was a little weak, and that has been true of other Star Trek regulars in the past who grew into their roles. As long as he has the opportuintiy to continue, he can develop the character as he sees fit.

I am also not surprised at his patience in receiving fewer lines than in the first season. As a fellow native-born Hoosier, raised in the same city as Montgomery, I completely understand his upbringing and perspective.