Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Christmas Displays

Should there be limits on Christmas displays?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be limits on Christmas displays?

• No, it doesn't matter if the neighbors are inconvenienced
    • Yes, some restrictions should apply so neighbors can celebrate as well.
    • Another topic I hadn't thought about.

Well, it's that time of year again when neighbors start the battle of the displays. I think there's a movie coming out with a simimlar theme.

Some people put up displays that draw traffic from miles around preventing neighbors from being able to have company or even get into their homes. I was reading a story at CNN where a guy put up a Grinch pointing at his neighbor for filing suit agains his display.

I have to agree with the complaining neighbor - side shows belong in the circus. I don't mind lights or even some lawn decor but 1500 cars a night driving by your house is a lot

I've never seen a house w/ a bunch of cars just looking at their decorations. I love looking at xmas decorations myself (we decorated our house like three weeks ago while it was warm :laugh: ) I think this situation you are describing is just a rare occurence and a bunch of cranky neighbors who exaggerate things

I think the biggest problem with the situation in the CNN report is the fact the people live on a Cul de Sac which makes traffic flow a huge problem.

We have quite a few homes in Winnipeg that go all out with the decorations. There are certain areas where the residents of the street will choose a theme each year so they can all decorate using the same theme. There is also a Christmas light display set up near our thoroughbred race park. There are enough houses decorated that bus tours are available to go look at the lights. In our downtown area, the City has up lights and displays that are beautiful. One of the reasons I love this time of year.

One of the workers at my daughter's daycare has a son who decorates their yard each year for Christmas. They've won best light display for our area of the city a few times.

Here's a link to a website for one house that puts up a display each year:

Christmas at the Taylors

I can understand the neighbours point, have your displays but don't let them bother everyone else.

I do not think that people should go out of the way to make it difficult on their neighbors. If they were just decorating to show their spirit of the holiday that would be fine as long as they were not basically taking over the neighborhood.

There are a few places in town here that draw quite large crowds, and I have to say that a couple years while my brother, sister & I were growing up that we were amongst the crowds that would come to admire the set up. But it was done in such a way that it was not much of a burden on the people's neighbors and it was a beautiful display.

Around here it's not much of a problem. Of course everyyear we have a tradition in our county regarding Christmas Lights.In the captial(Montesano) practicly every house puts up a lot of light and everybody from all around drive through the town and check them out.They give tours and everything.It happens about a week before Christmas.

Hmmm thats reminds me, better go out to my grandparents house soon and start setting up the lights.......

In AALAAAMEEEDAA (intentional), California, there's a street that gets thousands of cars along every night because of the lights. I don't know how the people on the street feel, but I would think that my rights to my street and property are infringed by the decoration...