Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Kirk

[S]Commando's in Expanse?

During Expanse Archer and Tripp discussed the use of commandos that are outside of Star Fleet and a certain General. I've read in old books and heard other fans opinions that Star Fleet should have a specialized ground fighting force or a Marine Corp. There's no mention of these type of personnel in the other series and I wonder what happened to their organization?

Well, commandos have been assigned to Enterprise, but there not Starfleet. When Admiral Forrest and Captain Archer were discussing it, Forrest was suprised that Archer had made a request to have a military presence on Enterprise.

I can assume that General Kasey is the commander of the Earth Defense Force (thats what I'm going to call it until someone tells me otherwise) and the commandos are not Starfleet.

Which does reaffirm my opinion that Starfleet of the 22nd century is not a army.

The Starfleet of the 23rd and 24th centuries are militaries since they seemed to fight wars. Why would a exploration agency have a policy of troop deployment on the front lines if it isn't a military...

Star Fleet's roles were probably expanded when the Federation was founded.

Agreed! We now know Starfleet stared out as a space program with a militaristic command structure and such. By the 24th century, it will have expanded to function as a military, science, medical, and other programs. :martok:

We could assume that Archer's Starfleet is absubed into the Federation Starfleet. Meaning there differnt agencys.

Like how the Continental Army was absorbed by the US Army.

I did not see the commandos,Are they wearing the same clothes as like the crew of the Enterprise?I will be disappointed if the commandos look like that.It's just weird

They intentionally didn't show them. They would have been rushed. So why not spend the next month so when June 24th (production for season 3 begins) they will have distintive uniforms and actors who will be able to show up for several episode.

Hmm....does anyone see an Elite Force III coming out of "Enterprise."???

It would be cool to set the storyline with the Expanse epics.

During Expanse Archer and Tripp discussed the use of commandos that are outside of Star Fleet and a certain General.  I've read in old books and heard other fans opinions that Star Fleet should have a specialized ground fighting force or a Marine Corp.  There's no mention of these type of personnel in the other series and I wonder what happened to their organization?

Wasn't there a couple of episodes of Ds9 that had commando like personel during the dominion war? I believe there was an episode with Jake and how he gets lost on a battle field and encounters a wounded soilder talking about a space hopper. Also there's the seige of ar...always forget the number. Then again they could have been just security personel reassigned as infantry.

During Expanse Archer and Tripp discussed the use of commandos that are outside of Star Fleet and a certain General.  I've read in old books and heard other fans opinions that Star Fleet should have a specialized ground fighting force or a Marine Corp.  There's no mention of these type of personnel in the other series and I wonder what happened to their organization?

Wasn't there a couple of episodes of Ds9 that had commando like personel during the dominion war? I believe there was an episode with Jake and how he gets lost on a battle field and encounters a wounded soilder talking about a space hopper. Also there's the seige of ar...always forget the number. Then again they could have been just security personel reassigned as infantry.

Allso In ST V the rescue of Nimbus III was Performed by a Commando style raid

and in ST VI a Colonel West(Rene Auberjonois) Proposed Operation Retrieve to recover Kirk & McCoy

Colonel is not a standard Starfleet rank so I asume that it comes from a diferent part to Starfleet

Allso In ST V the rescue of Nimbus III was Performed by a Commando style raid

and in ST VI a Colonel West(Rene Auberjonois) Proposed Operation Retrieve to recover Kirk & McCoy

Colonel is not a standard Starfleet rank so I asume that it comes from a diferent part to Starfleet

I would think that there would be more military type organizations other than starfleet. This allows Starfleet to act as more of a exploration force. These other forces could be used to provide protection and defense in areas where Federation members have become threatened or unsafe.

My question is who are they going to answer too? Will Reed be their commanding officer or will they report directly to Archer? If Reed were in charge, I could see that as the beginning of the Security Department of Starfleet. It would also be interesting to see how Reed handles them, and if they would accept his authority without a fight, so to speak.

My question is who are they going to answer too?  Will Reed be their commanding officer or will they report directly to Archer?  If Reed were in charge, I could see that as the beginning of the Security Department of Starfleet.  It would also be interesting to see how Reed handles them, and if they would accept his authority without a fight, so to speak.

I would think that they were ordered to take orders from the senior staff and they probably have their own CO on board to command the unit.

I guess I'm a pessimist but I worry the new guys will take screen time from the original cast. In one of the interviews Berman indicating they were adding several new cast members and would watch the "cream rise to the top" as to which ones get highlighted. I always thought that VOY became the Seven of Nine show and tell hour after that character joined the cast.

Does anyone know how big this commando unit is?

thayln Posted on May 26 2003, 08:32 AM

My question is who are they going to answer too? Will Reed be their commanding officer or will they report directly to Archer? If Reed were in charge, I could see that as the beginning of the Security Department of Starfleet. It would also be interesting to see how Reed handles them, and if they would accept his authority without a fight, so to speak. 

Good question...I think some conflict between Star Fleet and the military is inevitable.

My question is who are they going to answer too?  Will Reed be their commanding officer or will they report directly to Archer?  If Reed were in charge, I could see that as the beginning of the Security Department of Starfleet.  It would also be interesting to see how Reed handles them, and if they would accept his authority without a fight, so to speak.

Since they are on a Star Fleet vessel they should be answering to Reed. Might be a good idea to have one ep. that involves Reed gaining the Commandos trust?

Since they are on a Star Fleet vessel they should be answering to Reed. Might be a good idea to have one ep. that involves Reed gaining the Commandos trust?

Hey, that sounds like a good idea for an episode for season 3.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea for an episode for season 3.

I agree that this would make a good episode. As for the conflict, I can see your point but I have discussed this topic with some friends of mine who are in the military and they stated that in the military you are taught to follow orders, and if you CO orders you to take those orders from someone outside of your branch of military or even from a civilian, you do so because it was what you were ordered to do and you do not question it unless they are giving you orders to do something that would violate your standing orders or would be considered illegal.