Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "The Augments"?

What rating would you give "The Augments" out of 10?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Augments" out of 10?

OH BOY! Here it is! The Augments! That should say enough! Enjoy the show!

MY REVIEW:

Click For Spoiler
Part 1 was merely introductory. The 2nd shone brightly. The 3rd was the predictable conclusion set up by number 2. Therefore, I'm not impressed by this part. 2 was absolutely fantastic, but unfortunately, this episode's plot was set up in part 2 and followed through without any surprises what so ever. The endings to most Enterprise episodes are not surprising. They haven't been surprising in Star Trek (in general) since DS9. Now I'm not sayin the episode wasn't good. I did enjoy it, but I felt that part 2 was more intense and unpredicatble. And that's exactly what a climax should be. In other words, the climax came to soon leaving the last part feeling rather empty. As VBG mentions in a post a few down, Enterprise ought to do more adventuring, and focus less on the special effects. We had more than enough of those in last season. From now on, I just want them to SUPPLEMENT the show. Sadly, that's the problem with all video entertainment these days. Take for example the 2nd and 3rd matrix films. Nothing but special effects. But I digress...

MY RATING:

Click For Spoiler

7 OF 10. "The Augments" didn't feel like a climax, and as the last part, it should have.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Click For Spoiler
Alas, I did not enjoy this episode.

The trailer promised that the Augments would ignite the hostilities between the Klingons and Earth that would last for generations. They did not do that. Also, the authors lost another good opportunity to explain the klingon ridges, they disappeared because of the viruses.

This episode highlights something that has bugged me about Enterprise. The directors/producers/writers have wanted to make this show original. Completely different from the others. This is a mistake.

Although I enjoy a little originallity, there are many key issues that need to be addressed. The writers already have a universe to work towards, they just need to build up to it. How do the Klingons lose their ridges? How does the hostilities between them and the humans begin? What about the Romulan wars? What about the Vulcan descrepincies? What about the Federation, something about which has only been allueded to in TCW episodes?

These questions have not been answered and I doubt they ever will.

:unsure: 9 out of 10. Perfect ending. I'm loving the mini-arcs and all the TOS references have me in heaven.

Click For Spoiler
Trip and T'Pol are so gosh darned cute. :frusty: I just want to hug them to death. Only Sussman would dare put in a Romeo and Juliet reference.
Edited by MoulinRouge

Click For Spoiler
I gave it an 8. Malik, WHEW!! What a bad seed he turned out to be. Actually the whole bunch looked to be a very bad idea. :unsure:

I liked the first scene when Archer got sucked out into space and transported at the same time, nice effect. :frusty::tear:

I'm not so concerned about the Klingon's ridges as other people are.

Last scene with Soong sitting at the desk thinking, could just hear the gears turning in his mind, Mmmm, cybernetics, Hmmm??? :( Here comes Data :huh:

Click For Spoiler
Alas, I did not enjoy this episode.

The trailer promised that the Augments would ignite the hostilities between the Klingons and Earth that would last for generations.  They did not do that.  Also, the authors lost another good opportunity to explain the klingon ridges, they disappeared because of the viruses.

This episode highlights something that has bugged me about Enterprise.  The directors/producers/writers have wanted to make this show original.  Completely different from the others.  This is a mistake.

Although I enjoy a little originallity, there are many key issues that need to be addressed.  The writers already have a universe to work towards, they just need to build up to it.  How do the Klingons lose their ridges?  How does the hostilities between them and the humans begin?  What about the Romulan wars?  What about the Vulcan descrepincies?  What about the Federation, something about which has only been allueded to in TCW episodes?

These questions have not been answered and I doubt they ever will.

280331[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
I believe the Augments were planning to kill the inhabitance of the planet and with Enterprise shooting the torpedo and causing an explosion that doesn't mean that debree won't rain down on the planet. The effects might be not so severe and instead of killing the Klingons they discovered the effects of the diseases later with the birth of the Klingon infants. Also with the people being able to travel from planet to planet or colony to colony the disease was spread and the people soon discovered they bore children that looked more *human* without the pronounced Klingon ridges. This may have been unsettling to the people and they may have decided that humans were untrustworthly and an enemy to them.

I gave the program a 9 or a 9.5 and I loved it!

Edited by BlueCrystal

I gave tonight's episode " The Augments" a 9.5 out of 10. :frusty:

I really enjoyed this three parter.

I'm looking forward to the next three parter centered around the planet Vulcan.

I loved the episode too. I hope they can find some way to Arik Soong on again. Brent Spiner has so much talent and it seems non-Trekkies do not appreciate it as much as Trekkies do.

Click For Spoiler

Awesome! Pure 10!

Click For Spoiler
Edited by Jack_Bauer

Click For Spoiler
Okay - not terrific.

About genetic engineering. I still don't buy the premise - superior ability causes superior ambition. Superior is another of those subjective terms - there a lot of people driven by ambition to accomplish good. I am glad however, that they pointed out the violent tendencies were a design flaw. I never figured the logic of how increased physical strength somehow disabled any ability for morality.

Other than thinking about genetic engineering I didn't really get much out of this episode. Well, it was nice to hear Trip admit a Vulcan and Human are a low probability success. This "relationship" is tedious - move on already.

The end was clever - I will miss Spiner

:frusty: I actually get to rate one! I could not get to sleep until pretty late last night and was flipping through the channels. We do not have UPN here....but I discovered that they are still playing UPN prime time programming after the FOX prime time airs. So depending if I can stay awake by that time of night, I might start getting to catch Enterprise from time to time.

Click For Spoiler

From what I saw of the episode(only saw first half), I thought it was pretty good. I went ahead and gave it about a 7/10. Brent, of course was excellent.

I think Part 3 was the best part of the episode. :frusty:

Click For Spoiler
It is cool that Soong is going to take an interest in cybernetics

Excellent episode

Click For Spoiler
- I really liked the irony Where Soong was altering the DNA of the Embryos and Malik Flipped out and then started asking him who gave him the right to alter the DNA. A genetically engineered Guy bringing up the ethics of genetic engineering.

- Also I really liked the Space Seed Reference With Kahn And the Botany Bay

- The end where Malik activated the self destruct crawling to the console i was expecting him to activate Genesis then I rememberd it was Enterprise and he was malik not Kahn.

- I also enjoyed The Briar Patch Referance Augments could have destroyed the baku Malik really should have gone there they would have been safe and never would have aged.

- The ending was also cool how Soong Started his cybernetics work I think they should have ended playing the TNG theme but owell

Anyway Great episode and a great mini arc.

Later.

Edited by Korthedaharmaster

I gave it a 10...

It shows, or at least leads to the fact that, if there wasn't a ungenic war there be no Data!

Edited by capt_picard

I gave it an 8.0. It was pretty good, but nothing to crow about.

Click For Spoiler

I gave it an 8.

Click For Spoiler
This episode was okay but it seems to me that they are borrowing heavily from the old movies. It seems like they will be digging up ST III next week.

Click For Spoiler
Ahhhhh, it's that special time of the week again.

Now, onto the business at hand. After last night's euphoria, I have to sadly once again be inflicted with the buzzkill that is the final season of ENT.

Yes people, it's time once again, for another episode review.

"The Augments".

This as I'm sure you all are aware is the final part of a terrible three-episode arc that in all honesty has been dreadful, but more on that later. I've heard some ENT fans claim this is the "best Star Trek ever!!!!!". Well, for those people who obviously watched TNG and DS9 with their eyes closed, I say "Hang your head in shame for saying such things". Actually, I doubt very seriously that people regard these episodes as the best Star Trek ever, it's probably more a case of being stubborn after so much (deserved) criticism about ENT.

Anyway, let's get on with this...

With six episodes down and sixteen to go, we are almost half way through the final season of ENT. So far, so bad. Not one single episode has stood out in any way thus far. After the first six episodes, I am deeply unimpressed.

I will say however, that the rescue of Archer through the transporter while he was flying through space was pretty cool actually. The fact that when they beamed him back he was half frozen to death was a nice touch. Never let it be said that I don't praise ENT when I think it is deserved.

The evil Augment Malik must honestly have **** for brains. He was surprised when he discovered Soong was *SHOCK HORROR* TAMPERING with Augment DNA???? Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Uh, yes Mr. Evil Augment, you have been genetically altered. THAT'S why Soong is you know...ALTERING the genes of Augments. What a moron. If he wanted to be angry at Soong, he should have been angry at the fact Soong gave all the male Augments mullets.

Dropping the female Denobulan into the gas planet was a decent scene and it made sense, since she didn't have many lines in this arc. Another pointless wasted character.

I had to laugh when I saw the Evil Augment and the Sexy Augment laying in bed together. I noticed that even their night clothes were ripped and torn!!!!! :angry: Don't these Augments know how to use a needle and thread??? Do they have to only wear rags??? Either that or those Augments have really wild sex lives. It's a shame they had to kill her by erm.....breaking her shoulder? :angry: A further point taken away from this episode for the unnecessary gratuitous "sexiness" from the female Augment in the bedroom scene.

It was obvious that the Augments were going to turn on Soong. Hmmmm, genetically engineered supermen are untrustworthy? Where have I seen that before?.......Oh yes, I remember SPACE SEED!!!!!! Speaking of which, I noticed that chief hack Coto managed to shoehorn THREE references to other Trek shows and movies into this episode as if to say "Hey, look...I've referred to Star Trek!!!! THIS is a STAR TREK show!!!! Isn't that COOL???" To which I say "Erm.....no".

The Briar Patch? Yeah Coto, thanks for reminding me of that hideous movie. The Botany Bay???? Yes Coto, we've seen The Wrath Of Khan. Cybernetics??? Yes, we know Soong's descendent will build Data. Thanks for that. <_< I eagerly await the episode of ENT where "Spot The Cat's" great-great-great-great grandmother cat is seen.

This episode had some very good space battle scenes even though certain scenes made the Klingons sound like a bunch of brainless cretins. Although all of that was undone by an absolutely idiotic scene at the end where Evil Augment magically appears on the ENT after his "ProtoBirdOfPrey" is wasted and he strangles Soong for about TWO SECONDS and "Captain Boring" Archer shoots him to end the episode with a whimper.

This arc cannot even match up to the brilliance of past arcs in Star Trek like Time's Arrow, Chain of Command, Unification, Redemption, Best Of Both Words, Way of The Warrior et al.....it was weak, dull, plodding and very very poor.

Overall rating for this episode......1

Overall rating for this arc.......1

Edited by The King

Click For Spoiler

I didn't think the augments was the best episode of the arc but i enjoyed it, i liked the references to botany bay, the briar patch and soong taking up cybernetics. The Wrath of Khan tribute at the end was nice and i was surprised when Mallik appeared in the corridor at the end

Episode Rating - 8.5

Arc Rating - 10

Overall an Excellent arc

Edited by trek_dude

Brent is always a great actor, one of the greatest in Hollywood.

His ability to play both the good parts as the evil parts is a great thing!

I like very much this saga...

I gave Augments a 10 I liked the 3 part Arc in Enterprise how it tied into Khan and Botany Bay etc (since supposedly this happened while Khan was in long term suspended animation till Kirk woke him up a Century later) making him the last of the Super Humans.

Sign in to follow this