Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Should you manipulate your child's height?

Would you give your child growth hormone?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give your child growth hormone?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if they had a serious defect and were exceptionally short.
    • I would give it serious thought

Okay this occured to me because of another post. I read some years ago that parents were giving their child growth hormone to make them taller. Tall people tend to get better jobs, more money and more promotions etc.

Now, I guess in a few years we might be able to fix it with genetic engineering. A couple of possibilities.

If everyone was tall then being tall would lose its advantage.

Or

Rich people would have greater access to height manipulation increasing the class divide

So what do you think?

Personally, I would so love to be taller. :unsure:

Who cares? Size doesn't matter. I'd say only genetically enhance your kid to give him superpowers. Other than that, leave nature be.

:blink: WHAT??? :o that's insane!!!! You shouldn't tamper with such things, God made you the way you are, your perfect. :wacko: When you start messing with things like that, your just ASKING for trouble. You throw everything out of wack. All our systems are connected, in ways we don't even understand yet. NO, I voted NO. :unsure: height is SO over rated. We always want what we don't have. :yes:

I would not manipulate a child's height(if I ever have kids, that is). And I am the shortest in my family (my younger siblings are 5'8" and nearly 6'0"...I am 5'1"), and am perfectly fine being short.

However, if it was an extremely critical situation...where it was life or death for a child, then maybe. But I do not really know if there is a situation regarding height that is so dangerously critical.

But, the overall idea of altering height I am definately not for.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

i had to go with a resounding no. we are all what we were meant to be. its what makes us who and what we are. after all who are we to tamper with how GOD made us. i know we as humans tamper with many things but to genetically alter ourselves, or worse yet our children all in the name of vanity, or it'll help with jobs, promotions etc. thats just playing GOD, to conform to what is a percieved perfection. im not the most attractive person, nor the most unattractive, im happy with who and what i am in that manor, as people should learn to be.

They actually DO this: :unsure: :blink:

Table 2: Comparison of advantages and disadvantages of surgical shortening or lengthening

PROCEDURE ADVANTAGES DISADVANTAGES

LEG LENGTHENING Surgery

Correction of accompanying deformities

Preservation of body length

Normalisation of body proportions

Significant gain of length

Consolidation problems

Increasing problems with advancing age

Operation technically difficult

Possible multiple surgery

Soft tissue tension

I herd that most of the procedures are really painful it involves having these screws and stuff that you need to be turned everyday ouch that must hurt alot.

Only if they had a serious defect and were exceptionally short.

I knew a boy in my congregation in California who was the same age as me and extremely short. His parents did this and it helped him tremendously. After seeing what it did for him I do believe there's certain instances where it can really help, but it shouldn't be a decision that's made lightly.

I am say with a very load voice NO! There is a reason for everyone height and only mess around with it will cause trouble in the future for the child. The only time that I would agree to this if the child would be very short and the standard of living would be affect. Only after the doctor said would help and not hurt in the long run. I am 5'2 1/2" and I have no problems with my height. In fact, anyone over 6 feet have lots of problems living on board a ship. They would either bang their head on the overhead if they are not careful and not being able to starch out their legs in a rack. Rack is place where enlisted people sleep.

Edited by Odie

Anyone ever seen old black and white films of people being 'stretched' on a rack? You said 'rack' Odie, made me remember this. :unsure: How BARBARIC was THAT???? :blink:

Jeanway, here is pic on the where I will sleep on my next ship. Being short does have it advantages. :yes:

rack-06b.jpg

Edited by Odie

The surgery Jeanway is talking about is different than taking growth hormone - which just accelerates or enhances the growth process. I knew someone that had that surgery because a previous accident had left one leg shorter than the other and that could have caused spinal problems so he had the surgery on one leg - I would consider that necessary. That surgery is often used to correct bones that didn't grow because of being in a cast for an extended period or for people with certain types of dwarfism or growth deficiencies.

However, when I read about the shots years ago it was regular parents requesting shots for normal children.

But my concern about the shot would be the unknown potential effects of taking the drug. However, if I knew it was safe I'd certainly consider it.

The last I read a man averages about an extra 10,000 a year in salary for every inch over a certain height. That's like 40,000 for four inches. That's not a bad legacy to leave your kids. I don't know if the same applies to women?

If it is done for the purpose of correcting a deformity or for any other medically recommended purpose, then I think it should at least be considered. If it is just for vanity related reasons, then I also give a resounding no.

Having this type of procedure done to make life easier and take away some strain from the back, etc is one thing.

Having it done for career purposes or just to look good is another.

Let me play devil's advocate and ask this question:

If everyone else was giving their kids growth hormones, which gives them an advantage over your kid, not just physically but in other areas that have been mentioned - confidence, better jobs, respect from others, etc. - then would it be fair to your kid to NOT have those advantages if you had the power to do something about it?

Or let me ask a similar question. If all the other kids in the neighborhood got into college would you insist your kid be the one to work for McDonalds?

I'd like to know how many of those calling being tall vanity are short? Because if If you're average or tall then how do you know what being short is like?

Why is wanting your child to be successful in life "evil"?

I think you should list your height (or at least short, med, avg) in order to put your answer in perspective.

It's easy to write off being short if you don't know what is like to barely be able to see over the steering wheel? or know you're at increased risk of airbag injury because you're short? to never be able to get the headrest to fit? Or to never be able to reach things on the top shelves in the grocery store? To never be able to buy an article of clothing you don't have to go home and hem? To keep step stools in every room so you can reach the shelves. Sure, maybe not life threatening except the automobile issues but it is inconvenient.

Tall men more likely to marry and have more kids. torontosun

height bias? heightsite

Average height

men 5'9" - 5'10"

women 5'3" - 5'8"

okay according to this Americans are shorter on average? wikipedia

I would only give a growth hormone to a child if there was a medical need.

This is certainly one area I don't have to worry about. I'm not very tall (5'4") but my daughter will be. She turned 10 in July and is as tall as me.

I think you should list your height (or at least short, med, avg) in order to put your answer in perspective. 

279720[/snapback]

I'm 5' 3"

Only if they had a serious defect and were exceptionally short.

I knew a boy in my congregation in California who was the same age as me and extremely short. His parents did this and it helped him tremendously. After seeing what it did for him I do believe there's certain instances where it can really help, but it shouldn't be a decision that's made lightly.

279694[/snapback]

Since my "vanity" reference was pulled out, I'd like to restate this:

Having this type of procedure done to make life easier and take away some strain from the back, etc is one thing.

Having it done for career purposes or just to look good is another.

The "easier" I'm referring to applies to those who are so short it makes it difficult for them to function in daily life. Several examples you gave would fall into that category, TUH.

Having it done for vanity's sake would be like me having the treatment. I'm 5'10", which is average. However, I would really love to be at least 2 inches taller. There's no good reason involved except that I would like to be 6ft. If this were to be done to a teen or adult, it should fall under cosmetic surgery. However, to do it to a child that would likely be of average height anyway, just because the parents want their little Jimmy to be the star basketball player, is, in my opinion, wrong.

However, I still feel each situation should be considered carefully. Some of the social and psychological implications are frightening. :unsure:

If I want my kids to be tall, I'll just hope that my tallness gene is dominant. Fat chance on that, though... I'm the tallest by 5 inches in my family, and I have yet to meet anyone in my girl's family that's as tall as me.

But to answer, no.

Ace, you weren't the only one to use the word "vanity"

Wishfire, from what I remember from school, the Tall gene is dominant over the short gene. Although I've also read that these days children are ending up taller than their parents.

Ace, I thought others used the word "vanity" - maybe not there were a couple that said the same thing even if they didn't use the exact word

Wishfire, from what I remember from school, the Tall gene is dominant over the short gene.  Although I've also read that these days children are ending up taller than their parents.

279774[/snapback]

Wishfire, from what I remember from school, the Tall gene is dominant over the short gene.  Although I've also read that these days children are ending up taller than their parents.

279774[/snapback]

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that my family gave me one tall and one short, and my girl got stuck with 2 shorts. (All her family is short. She's the tallest at 5'6", and her oldest sister, who's 18, is 4'10"!) 1 out of 4 doesn't seem like good odds. Well, time will tell. :unsure:

Ace, I thought others used the word "vanity" - maybe not there were a couple that said the same thing even if they didn't use the exact word

I realize that. :unsure:

279774[/snapback]

This is true at least in my case. I'm more than several inches taller than both of my parents.

279774[/snapback]

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that my family gave me one tall and one short, and my girl got stuck with 2 shorts. (All her family is short. She's the tallest at 5'6", and her oldest sister, who's 18, is 4'10"!) 1 out of 4 doesn't seem like good odds. Well, time will tell. :unsure:

279779[/snapback]

If she's short - then all she has is short genes but you may have a tall or short when means your child will get one gne from her (short) and one from you (either tall or short). If he gets your tall gene that will be dominant over her short. Then there's my sister's son who is 6' even though both his parents are only about an inch taller than me so go figure.

I do not think I have to worry. I will be 14 in less than one month and I am 5'3"-5'4"-ish. My mom is 5'5" and my dad is 6'2". However, I agree with genetic engineering for the most part. I know that God made everyone the perfect the way they are all that, but if you can change something about yourself like height (even if only for vanity), why not? The physical body is only a shell anyway; why not make it the most you can?