Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The Undiscovered Country

Have you ever noticed how the Undiscovered Country tried to make the era portrayed 'older' then TNG which was running at the same time. References included:

Toggle switches on the bridge

A galley with ovens

Flip charts being used at Star Fleet Command

A digital clock

Tiny Captain's Quarters

Chunky Universal Translators

Wooley Blankets in Sick Bay

Numerous antique props

Etc etc. I liked the chrome deck plating and the use of things like chime bells at dinner time.

Yes but the point that I am making is that the visual artists went to great lengths to make it look older than TNG. How ever, the Enterprise in Star Trek 5, for example, looks a lot more high tech: flat touch screens, carpets, no use of paper and so forth. I think Nicholas Meyer is always a lot more contemporary with his Trek, from a visual view point.

Well, I do believe I have never seen THIS movie before, it's

Excellent!! :P :sly: :yes:

I've notciced in tuc and I like it. The Enterprise bridge in STV looked too much like Enterprise D's. Shatner probably wanted to compete with STNG.

281051[/snapback]

Reminds me of his Priceline.com commercials:

Shatner: (laughing) "Who could replace me?"

Enter Leonard Nimoy. :sly:

Maybe Shatner felt a little bit that way about Patrick Stewart? :P

I think you're right in that it was the director's decision to change the designs...

I've notciced in tuc and I like it. The Enterprise bridge in STV looked too much like Enterprise D's. Shatner probably wanted to compete with STNG.

281051[/snapback]

I agree. The back lit panels - 'Okudagrams', the brown carpet everywhere, the bright lights, etc all tried too hard to link the Enterprise A with the D. It was too forced, I feel, as the jump from that era to the next was something like 87 years and design would move on a lot in that time. The 'boing! boing! boing!' background noise on the bridge of the A was very reminiscent of the TOS bridge. However, I felt this too was forcing the link too much. I was happy to see exposed deck plating and toggle switches in The Undiscovered Country.

On another note, it was interesting to see that General Kord was played by the actor who played The Chancellor in TNG. The Klingon Klaa was to feature as a translator in the court scene in Undiscovered Country - no doubt punishment for his insubordination. I am surprised that the 'ancient earth probe' had not been detected earlier or even searched for and put in a museum. And why was that Human calling himself a Terran and referring to Heaven as Eden??? Dear, dear...

The lookout set was a waste of space i feel. And - I hate to say it - but I hate the much loved Scotty scene where he says he knows the ship like the back of his hand and then bangs his head. For me it's just too gratuitious and a bit tacky.

I loved the old touches in this movie.

:assimilated:

Nicholas Meyer was a superb Trek director.

How I wish they could hire him to work on the franchise more often.

Edited by The King

ST:TUC was great, just watched it recently for the 1st time.

After ST:IV, I gave up on the ST movies; that 'time travel-saving the whales' theme was crap.

The digital clock annoyed me, so unecessary.

As if 1000 other different devices didn't tell anyone the time,

ex: VCRs, DVDs, ovens, thermostats,...I could only imagine in the 23rd century,

what other stuff told the time ;)

But I was surprised how well ST:TUC was done.

Great send-off for the original retiring cast.

I wished Cap. Sulu and the Excelsior had spun off as a series...

Oh well...