Sign in to follow this  
Essoq

Triple to be continueds...

So last weeks Enterprise was a to be continued AGAIN. I hate triple to be continueds! My feeling is: if you can't tell a story in one or two hours, it belongs on a soap opera.

Am I the only one who doesn't like multi-part episodes?

Edited by Ace

I have no problem with it. I watch 24 which is basically 24 'to be continueds' in a row. Its very addictive. And it makes it all the more exciting, which is what i think Enterprise is going for as I've heard both Coto and Berman reference 24 as a rough idea for seasons 3 and 4. Season 3 was one big 24 ep arc(like 24) and season 4 has been described by Coto as 'a series of mini 24s'.

I love them both so it just makes it all the more attractive for me.

I watch 24 which is basically 24 'to be continueds' in a row.

278991[/snapback]

I believe that 24 contains 23 to be continueds, as the last one isn't continued.

But I enjoy these 3-parters. They allow the directors/writers to do more.

I just hate wheb they said to be continued...

BTW pokemon was the series w/ the most to be continued. (hundreds)

The most dreaded words in all of tv-dom are To be continued. I hate it.

Superlong arcs remind me too much of soap operas. I like self contained stories so if I miss an episode I'm not totally lost. I think season 3 drug the story out too much because they were trying to stretch it across an entire season - they could have done it in twelve episodes. I like this last arc because I like seeing Spiner so I could probably handle a six parter with him - but the upcoming three parter

Click For Spoiler
about Vulcans
is a snoozer in the making.

I watch 24 which is basically 24 'to be continueds' in a row.

278991[/snapback]

I believe that 24 contains 23 to be continueds, as the last one isn't continued.

279001[/snapback]

Okay, true enough. I was thinking that as I posted it. I suppose if you consider the end of every season a cliff hanger it could be 24 to be continued...

279013[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right about that.

I liked Pokemon a few years ago but I don't think the show was ever as cool as the games. Don't get me wrong, I like the shows but the shows made it more into a kiddie thing but the games were really cool.

I just hate wheb they said to be continued...

279013[/snapback]

Really? I thought Dragon Ball Z had the most... I'm going to go look it up, if I can...

I couldn't find it.

Back to topic...

I like three part episodes. I think they're great. But what I'd really like to see is a two-part episode where each episode in 2 hours long.

I like the 3 arc story lines, yeah I hate it when they show "To Be Continued" but it leaves me wanting more and I usually can't wait to see the next installment.

I'm looking forward to the next 3 parter which involves the Vulcan civil war. From what I've read we will get to see a younger T'pau from the TOS episode "Amok Time". I love it when they can tie an episode with another series.

I don't mind the triples, they give more time for the story to be told fully (something many complained about in the early days of ENT was not enough time given to stories.)

I don't mind the triples, they give more time for the story to be told fully (something many complained about in the early days of ENT was not enough time given to stories.)

279226[/snapback]

I agree,especially the part about people complaints. I think its funny that since Enterprise has been on people have complained about this and that and the show changes things to make people happy and then people still complain. For example, the opening song. people complained about the song so TPTB changed the song to more upbeat music and people then complianed the song was too upbeat. People complained that the show needed story arcs, so last season we get a story arc and people complained it was too long, now they give us shorter story arcs and look what happens, people are complaining. It boggles my mind.

This is why after Enterprise finishes they should not do any more Star Trek for a couple or three years or maybe even more. No matter what comes out now people will complain and bash it.

279013[/snapback]

But almost every episode of Pokemon starts with a new adventure, so it doesn't count.

well........ these arcs are faring well for enterprise so as long as everything works out they should keep the arcs for season 4.

Has anyone been looking at the ratings - they're diving. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but if Brent Spiner didn't bring up the ratings I don't know what will - he should have been a major draw for Trek fans.

It doesn't matter how good it is if the ratings don't go up. :unsure:

I hear stuff and I saw a couple sites. Plus there is something called Nelson's.

I think you mean UPN ratings are low, Enterprise ratings are up as I hear from everyone else.

It's Nielsen's not Nelsons and that's what the site I referenced is - it gives ratings for each day and for the series. Enterprise's last Friday episode scored a 2.1/5 which is up from the prior week's 2.0/4 but it is down from season three's Impulse which had a 2.8/4.

They almost cancelled it last season and if it keeps scoring below last season it could be trouble.

279013[/snapback]

But almost every episode of Pokemon starts with a new adventure, so it doesn't count.

279330[/snapback]

True, whereas Dragonball Z drags out the same story line for like two weeks. I used to like that show but it just became stupid. "Oh he is the most powerful, we beat him. Oh wait someone we didn't know about before is the most powerful, we beat him, and so forth"

On topic, Enterprise's ratings are technically down from season 3, but have been rising recently from their new level established at Storm Front. Oh, well the show is still good, its not anyone's fault but the network that ratings are down.

TUH, I also regularly check the ratings at Zap2it, and I have to concur with Jack_Bauer. Even though the ratings are down from season 3, they are no longer in the same range as the recent trough.

We have to take into account that Wednesdays in general score much higher ratings than Fridays, so the difference may not actually be that great.

Also, it helps that Enterprise isn't placing last in it's time slot anymore. Rather than getting pounded by Smallville, Enterprise now regularly beats the What I Like About You and Grounded For Life combo on the WB. That's not saying much, but 5th place is definitely better than 6th. :unsure:

As for story arcs, I like them. Yes, sometimes it can be annoying to wait, but you can't deny that Star Trek is still alive today because of those three words (to be continued). I strongly believe that if the nation had not been forced to wait 3 months for the conclusion of TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds," TNG would not have lasted a full 7 seasons. 3 parters are sometimes even more entertaining because you get to better see how a specific story unfolds.

So last weeks Enterprise was a to be continued AGAIN.  I hate triple to be continueds!  My feeling is: if you can't tell a story in one or two hours, it belongs on a soap opera. 

Am I the only one who doesn't like multi-part episodes?

278963[/snapback]

2 Episodes do not count as 2 hours worth, because if you eliminate the commercials it's only about 84 minutes. So a three episode is more like a traditional movie.