Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Making Of Star Trek

0345340191.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a book I've read about 5 times in the past 5 or 10 years. It's a book that tells the story of how Star Trek came into being. It tells all the problems and production secrets. It's an awesome book for Star Trek fans, especially for TOS fans since this was written in the '60s.

If you have an interest in how Star Trek came about I say buy this book, it's a must read!

The Making Of Star Trek at Amazon.com

:laugh: Not all of us have money laying around to run out and buy books when ever. Got 3 Girls to take care of first . So how about some details about the book, something to start with? :laugh:

I remember that book. I almost bought it once but when I went back to get it someone had bought it. It went into detail about Gene's early trek ideas. It had a few early sketches of Enterprise concepts and behind the scenes stories. That's all I can remember. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Not all of us have money laying around to run out and buy books when ever. Got 3 Girls to take care of first . So how about some details about the book, something to start with? :rolleyes:

The price on Amazon.COM is $0.29 (US) before shipping... yes, that's Twenty-Nine Cents lol.

If I were a somewhat rich man I'd buy a couple dozen copies and pass them out lol.

It's just a very detailed book going all the way back to 1960 in it's details about the original concepts for Star Trek.

29 cents!!!! I remember you mentioning this at the chat.....darn now if only the DVD's got even close to that price :rolleyes: or the other books for that matter! :rolleyes:

I thought I'd bump this for anyone that may not know about this book. It really is very interesting and gives some great behind the scenes insight into how Star Trek was born.

Hhmm... I love Amazon (I've only bought one thing from them). :(

*Checks out the link*

How much in english pounds/ pennies?

I've owned that book for almost 30 years. Its a great read and really gives you some insight on how TV shows go from idea to production.

i have the book but with a different cover. i received it as a gift a few years ago. i really enjoyed it. i'm currently rereading another book of how they came up with voyager by the stephen whitfield under his other name of stephen edward poe. the book is called a vision of the future star trek voyager.this one is just as good as the one about the original. i highly recommend both especially if you like the behind the scenes stuff.

tm

Edited by stvoyagerfan21

I've been reading this again for the first time in a few years and every time I read it I'm struck with how interesting this book is. I again bump this and urge any Star Trek fan to get it and read about how it all came about.

The chapter (Chapter 4) about "The Cage" was very interesting to read, it wasn't a typical chapter where it's talking about production or back stage stuff. It's the original outline that Gene wrote for "The Cage" and it completely details the entire episode. In the original outline the "Keeper" and others of their race are "crab like" creatures with claws. Not the large headed aliens that we came to know from the actual episode.

The link in the first post here still works and still leads to the books, though some of them are quite high in price you can still find some for one cent (before shipping).

Cara, I see that no one answered your question on conversion rates on the price. Here's a conversion calculator: http://www.unitconversion.org/currency/us-...conversion.html

I have it as well. Some nice B and W photos therein as well, promo shots, etc...interesting, to see how Gene arrived at his creations of the Captains we now know so well..and therein also is a sketch of the ship which might have been the Enterprise-but became another, if non-canon, starship-and of a past Trekera. Plus, one gets a size comparison between the 1701, and the aircraft carrier...I got mine for chickenfeed at a used book store. Also have the entire James Blish to-paperback editions of all the TOS episodes...again, found at a great price-if no doubt multi-reprint, but who cares, at a used book outlet...the las one found for me by my mother at a church yard sale. Boy, was I thrilled!

Something that I had forgotten about is that according to this book the saucer section of the 1701 was supposed to be able to detach (like the 1701-D). We of course never saw it happen and I can't recall any instance of them even mentioning it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was part of the original concept for the Enterprise.

Kirk did say to Scotty, in 'The Apple', as Vaal was quickly nearing the bringing down of the ship, ''Jettison the nacelles if you have to, and crack out of there with the main section....'' so it sounds like he may have been alluding to that....

Kirk did say to Scotty, in 'The Apple', as Vaal was quickly nearing the bringing down of the ship, ''Jettison the nacelles if you have to, and crack out of there with the main section....'' so it sounds like he may have been alluding to that....

It's been a long time since I've seen "The Apple", it was never a favorite episode of mine but I'll have to re-watch it soon.